1/72 - McDD Phantom FGR.2 by Airfix - released - new boxing

Homebee

After the FG.1 (link) , Airfix is to release in October 2018 (?) a 1/72nd McDD Phantom FGR.2 kit - ref. A06017

Schemes:

1) XV466 D, No1435 FLT, RAF Mount Pleasant November 1991
2) FGR.2 XV469 H 2 Squadron June 1976

3) FGR.2 Phantom XV408 92 Squadron RAF Germany

Sources: 

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2018/mcdonnell-douglas-fgr2-phantom-1-72.html

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/mcdonnell-douglas-fgr2-phantom-1-72.html

a06017-mcdonnell-douglas-phantom-fgr2-bo

FGR2.jpg

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, tony.t said:

The FGR.2 sprue has been issued in error in some FG.1 boxings. Pictures on the Cold War Aircraft FG.1 thread, post #95

Has a strike camera, the EMI recce pod and SUU-23/A gunpod.

Tony 

And if I can add to this, the main structure for the nose cone radar is also on this FAA FG.1 sprue, so we can assume** that the option to display the radar will not be available with this RAF FGR.2 kit. So hold on to these bits as they could be used for good trade bait.

** Note - assume in this case means logical conclusion, not stated fact!

Cheers.. Dave   

It must just be me, I'm too 'niche'! I'm underwhelmed with the schemes again. I've never been a fan of 'special schemes' such as blue Phantoms or anniversary tail colours (except 56 sqn Lightnings!). I like standard camo like you'd see over Norfolk in the Cold War days but with bright unit markings.

Would like to see 56 sqn camo, 23 sqn camo and barley grey 29 sqn with the three Xs on ECM bar as well as either side of the roundel. I'm sure one of the aftermarket decal companies will help though!

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

Would like to see 56 sqn camo, 23 sqn camo and barley grey 29 sqn with the three Xs on ECM bar as well as either side of the roundel. I'm sure one of the aftermarket decal companies will help though!

Your in luck - the decal gods have already listened!! 

See post #152 on page 7 here - 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

I rather fancy 2 Squadron's XV469 too.  I've got the Modeldecal sheet covering either XV420 or XV490 in this or the earlier gloss camouflage scheme with "Type D" national markings and one of the pair with the red and black low-vis squadron markings.  Ironically I've not long started work on a Fujimi FGR. 2 as 1435 Flight'’s “Desperation".

I hope Airfix have done some homework on this one for the painting instructions as I am forever dithering about the colour demarcations on the inside of the boundary layer splitter plates: are they Light Aircrhaft Grey up to the splitter between themselves and the fuselage side or does the Light Aircraft Grey only go as far up as the demarcation on the adjacent fuselage side?  Most images showing the undersides have this area hidden by Sparrows, ballast or training rounds or deep shadow.  All information will be gratefully received.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1

Not my scale but I'd be happy with that range of schemes on a 1/48 kit, the two schemes the aircraft wore in service and an attractive special, what's not to like.

• Like 2

More: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/latest-airfix-kit-range-to-start-new-year

McDonnell Douglas Phantom FGR.2 – 1/72nd scale

N_New_Airfix_catalogue_RAF_Phantom_FGR2_

This iconic Phantom Falklands Defender is one of the scheme options available with this magnificent new kit

Without doubt, one of the most popular new model tooling projects to join the Airfix kit line up has been the new Royal Navy Phantom FG.1, with many modellers already adding this classic to their new year build schedules, as the first examples are beginning to arrive at model shops. Although this American classic saw service with many of the worlds air arms, it is perhaps the British Phantoms which became something of an enigma, as our attempts to Anglicise the aircraft produced some unique versions of this Cold War warrior. It would also be fair to say that the Royal Navy proved to be happier with their new Phantom than were the RAF, who initially felt they were being forced to accept a naval aircraft to perform a wide variety of land-based roles, with the cancellation of their preferred options. In time, they grew to love their Phantoms, which performed admirably in the roles of air defence fighter, close air support/ground attack and reconnaissance aircraft for over 37 years.

O_New_Airfix_catalogue_RAF_Phantom_FGR2_

Certain to continue the success of our new British Phantom tooling, this RAF version offers some iconic scheme options

In a move that will delight British Phantom fanatics, the latest range includes A06017 which benefits from new parts, allowing the modeller to produce the Royal Air Force version of the British Phantom. As these aircraft were used exclusively from mainland bases, there was no need for many of the naval modifications included on the Fleet Air Arm aircraft, such as the extending nose oleo, catapult hooks and slatted tailplane, even though they did retain the distinctive arrestor hook of their shipborne relatives. They also incorporated a number of equipment and electronics upgrades, which were better suited to the operational requirements of RAF Phantoms, which included weapons and mission pods. This new kit includes decal options to produce one of three different RAF Phantom FGR.2 aircraft, including a stunning white tailed Falklands Defender, which will surely serve as inspiration for many a future modelling project. This magnificent new Phantom is scheduled for an October release.

V.P.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Air Graphics sets

Source: https://www.facebook.com/airgraphicmodels/posts/1234615903338943

- ref. AC-007 - Phantom FGR1/2 - EMI recce pod
- ref. AC-008 - Phantom FGR1/2 - gun pod
- ref. AC-133 - RAF Phantom ejection seats - Martin Baker Mk.7 -
- ref. AC-134 - RAF Phantom - access ladders
- ref. AC-135 - AIM-7 Sparrow missiles
- ref. AC-136 - RAF Phantom bomb pylons & BL755

Pha6.jpg 31781840_1234615826672284_37719177863270 Pha2.jpg

Pha_4.jpg Pha5.jpg Pha1.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 10:12 AM, tony.t said:

Looks as if Eduard have revised the imminent FG.1 landing gear etch set 72668 to include the intake louvres... 

It's a shame they didn't invlude the little louvres above the exhausts too.

4 hours ago, Nigel Bunker said:

It's a shame they didn't invlude the little louvres above the exhausts too.

Looking above, it would seem Aeromodel Models produce these (Picture showing splitter plates/green background)

They do indeed. The intake splitter plates have the missing louvres along the top, a depiction of the holes on the outer face surface which Airfix also missed out and the set has the inserts with louvres for above the exhaust cans. they are very nicely moulded.

You get two sets [ie enough for 2 aircraft] for £10 inc postage in UK

I've just ordered my second set from him

On 3/21/2018 at 5:12 AM, tony.t said:

Looks as if Eduard have revised the imminent FG.1 landing gear etch set 72668 to include the intake louvres...

Nice! Thanks for that link, Tony. 

I doubt Airfix will bother to fix the FGR.2 -- just like they won't bother to fix the extra seam on the wing tanks (yes, that's an easy fix with a sanding stick, but it further highlights Airfix's lack of attention on this model).

.2uBVa3x.jpg

Gene K

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/23/2018 at 8:49 PM, Homebee said:

The FG.1 thread being closed...

Hmmm ... evidently I missed something. What is happening? Can you give a link, please?

Thanks,

Gene K

EDIT: You are likely referring to your thread here. Never did understand the mods'  rationale closing that discussion down. 

Edited by Gene K