Airfix 2019

jenko

22 minutes ago, jenko said:

Darby........... think it through old chap................. If they brought out the Blue tits can you imagine the comments.............. wrong shape ...not big enough......sink marks etc etc. :doh::whistle:

Dick

Yeah, you're right. A Bullfinch may draw less observational criticism.

16 minutes ago, Learstang said:

But wouldn't they still complain about the radius and/or ulna on the Human Skeleton being too long, 

Have you ever been to Plymouth (Old England) and seen the malevolent forms of bipods skulking around the Independent Quarter of said hovel?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

Interesting to know how re-packaging third-party sprues compares to selling own-produced models in terms of margin. Another question - how profitable is producing molds to sell for others to repack. Airfix very rarely repacks other manufacturers and never sells its sprues to others, while e.g. Hasegawa, Italeri or Zvezda actively do both. 

For instance, why not to sell B-25 sprues to Zvezda to let it repack with Red Stars?

As always it's 'Catch 22'!

Would say the short term profit would be better, as there would be no R&D, no CAD, no mould costs, no raw product to buy, no refurb on older moulds etc.

However, the mould is not your's, so you can't pull the mould and run a batch when stocks start to depleat, you still have to buy the packaging, have

instruction sheets printed in your companies style, decal sheets printed, warehousing........

Quite a few manufacturers do go down the route of producing 'in-house' for a third party, I think one of the first was the FROG / Hasegawa link up,

certainly with mould lease back in the '70's. Also, Tamiya put out a number of Italeri kits for the home market, now here, I don't know if it sprue's

being sold to Tamiya, as in a contract for XXX thousand sets of sprues or mould lease?

It may be a market that Airfix/Hornby have never considered, or never had a reason to follow up?

I would hazzard a guess and say IF it was suggested to the 'management' it might just have a chance.

You said yourself that the coverage of the North East European market was non existant, just maybe it would give Airfix a 'toe in the door'?

Paul

22 minutes ago, Learstang said:

But wouldn't they still complain about the Blue Tit being inaccurate? Never underestimate the ability of modellers to find fault with any kit!  Regards,

Jason

Probably, but there's little chance Airfix would get it wrong with all the reference material out there.

Airfix New Tool Blue Tit:

600px-ParusCaeruleus.jpg

Competitor's inferior product:

p-21959-TOFIN31-LA-Blue-Tit-finger-puppe

• Like 3
  • Haha 22

1 hour ago, IanC said:

Probably, but there's little chance Airfix would get it wrong with all the reference material out there.

Airfix New Tool Blue Tit:

600px-ParusCaeruleus.jpg

Competitor's inferior product:

p-21959-TOFIN31-LA-Blue-Tit-finger-puppe

Presumably the competitor is Trumpeter.

• Haha 6

If we're into the realms of fantasy (quite common on the interweb I'm told) for the love of GOD will Airfix please release a 1/48 scale PUMA helo. I still find it hard to belive such an important aircfaft for the RAF since the 70's is STILL not available in 1/48!?! Rant over

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Simon382 said:

If we're into the realms of fantasy (quite common on the interweb I'm told) for the love of GOD will Airfix please release a 1/48 scale PUMA helo. I still find it hard to belive such an important aircfaft for the RAF since the 70's is STILL not available in 1/48!?! Rant over

It doesn't matter if it was important to the RAF or not, it has to SELL to the general public, many of whom we are to believe are 'toy buyers'.

Sorry, but that's how I see it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Simon382 said:

Absolutely, and the Gazelle.

Neither represented anywhere in 1:48

• Like 3

1:48 Stirling

1:48 B-52

1:48 Halifax

1:48 Hampden

1:48 Scimitar

1:48 Martin-Baker MB.3

1:48 An.225

1:48 Vulcan

1:48 WWII HMS Ark Royal

...and if Airfix don't bend to my every whim, I'm going to have a year-long paddy <_<

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Robert said:

That is being done by Xtradecal https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72296 . Still needs a new nose or modification.

Robert

After suffering a decalling meltdown on the Fujimi offering last summer, I at least had the foresight to keep the relevant nosecone! Let's hope it's a good fit on the Airfix kit.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

...and if Airfix don't bend to my every whim, I'm going to have a year-long paddy <_<

I was going to remark on the amount of shelf space required for a 1:48 Vulcan, then saw what you put above it !!  :rofl2:

18 minutes ago, IanHx said:

I was going to remark on the amount of shelf space required for a 1:48 Vulcan, then saw what you put above it !!  :rofl2:

Didn't spot the one at the bottom of the list then? :coolio:

Y'know, I'm having some serious deja vu reading this thread.  Perhaps we'd save ourselves a lot of time if we just copy-pasted the 2018 thread but deleted references to 1/48 Blenheim and Sea Fury, and 1/72 Phantom FGR2?

I'm simply thinking of your welfare, folks.  I'd hate for you all to get stuck in an ever-repeating thread where the only thing that changes is the year in the title. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

Y'know, I'm having some serious deja vu reading this thread.  Perhaps we'd save ourselves a lot of time if we just copy-pasted the 2018 thread but deleted references to 1/48 Blenheim and Sea Fury, and 1/72 Phantom FGR2?

I'm simply thinking of your welfare, folks.  I'd hate for you all to get stuck in an ever-repeating thread where the only thing that changes is the year in the title. :)

• Like 4

13 hours ago, mike romeo said:

1/72 dH Mosquito bomber with 2-stage Merlins and bulged bomb bay.

1/72 dH Hornet & Sea Hornet

Big gap in the market for a two-stage Mossie in my opinion.  Lots of attractive and interesting colour schemes too, especially the PR marks.  As far as I'm aware there has never been a kit of a two-stage Merlin Mossie.  Amazing really, given the importance and success of the type. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Big gap in the market for a two-stage Mossie in my opinion.  Lots of attractive and interesting colour schemes too, especially the PR marks.  As far as I'm aware there has never been a kit of a two-stage Merlin Mossie.  Amazing really, given the importance and success of the type. 

I'm a huge fan of the twin-stage Mossies and their continued use post War means they wore some colourful colour schemes.

Personally, I'd prefer to see an NF.XXX/36 first but would be happy if a bomber/PR version came first providing it lead to a fighter.

Special Hobby have promised a twin-stage Mossie...

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike said:

Just a year? you Lightweight! 

Get yersen up here lad, North Riding'll give lessons! :wicked:

10 hours ago, At Sea said:

I think if I built a 1/48 Aircraft carrier I WOULD be living in it as Mrs. At Sea would probably kick me and it out! 

You'd be the easy bit! :whistle:

Paul

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

As far as I'm aware there has never been a kit of a two-stage Merlin Mossie.  Amazing really, given the importance and success of the type. 

Let’s not forget the Matchbox IX / XXX effort. I know it was pretty crude, however let’s give credit where it’s due. 

A new tolol would be most welcome. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Let’s not forget the Matchbox IX / XXX effort. I know it was pretty crude, however let’s give credit where it’s due. 

A new tolol would be most welcome. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Not forgotten Dave, precisely why we want a new one!

• Like 2