Airfix 2019

jenko

For me I'd be happy if they'd commit to improving their surface detail to modern standards. It is a total waste to see modern versions of 1/72 Harriers come out with panel lines worthy of a die cast. They have improved since then but they're still far from even what you would get from Tamigawa in the late 80s. That's 30 years ago btw. No excuse.

Having said that, I think Airfix's comparative advantage would be with subjects that a) haven't been covered, b ) only have pre-80s era kits, or c) newer kits done poorly.

Taking c) into account, I think there would be a good market in 1/72 for newer versions of some of Italeri's 90s kits. A semi-decent Mirage 2000C/D would be great, as would a RAF Jaguar given that Hobby Boss strangely never followed up on its superb A version. As for props, how about a Fairey Firefly?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Phantome said:

A semi-decent Mirage 2000C/D would be great, as would a RAF Jaguar given that Hobby Boss strangely never followed up on its superb A version. As for props, how about a Fairey Firefly?

Gonna give all of those a big :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Phil Gollin said:

There can only be one choice for 2019  :-  

1/48th  Black  Arrow  rocket.

50 years before 2019, in 1969, the first sub-orbital launch of Black Arrow took place.   In 1971, a Black Arrow rocket launched a British made satellite, Prospero, into orbit.

See ;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Arrow

Indeed it did, into an orbit so stable it's still up there. I'd also be happy if they included a 1/144 minature so it can go next to my Saturn V. Should be an interesting comparison.

There were mutterings of a 1/350 Ark Royal IV from Merit(?) we can but hope.

• Like 2

I'm speaking strictly about 1/72 since I do not build in 1/48 hence have no ideas about what market is open there. 

So - what could be reasonably expected as a new tool in 1/72 in 2019?

1) With recent trend I do not believe that we should expect more than 2-3 completely new tools

2) There are should be something on big side - a 4-engine WWII bomber or a V-bomber. 

3) In 1/72 Airfix seems to concentrate on various WWII airplanes and to a lesser degree on various post-war RAF/RN aircraft for 1/72.

Suggestions:

#1 Avro Vulcan (as an alternative a yet uncovered WWII bomber - Liberator or Halifax)

#2 one WWII fighter - P-47, P-38, Spitfire Mk.IX, Hurricane Mk.II or IV, Hellcat?

#3 either a WWII double-engined bomber or something from RAF jet era - so Ju-88 is one logical choice and Meteor is another one (tooled to enable various day fighter versions from at least Mk.III to Mk.10)

And... I do not expect anything more.

Of course I want much more... Definitely I want all those jet aircraft already available in 1/48 - Javelin, Sea Vixen, Meteor + newly tooled Venom, Sea Hawk, Buccaneer, nothing against modern tool Jaguar. I'm just afraid that Swift's 'success' taught Airfix not to invest in those subjects too heavily. Hope Phantom's real success changes that. 

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There’s going to be my 1/24th TSR2 with inservice markings and full weapons load.

There is, I tell ya, I can feel it in my bones.

Graham

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

I'm just afraid that Swift's 'success' taught Airfix not to invest in those subjects too heavily.

I tried my best and bought two when they were released! I'm tempted to try get hold of some more and tart them up with the AlleyCat conversions.

On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 8:58 PM, Aeronut said:

2019 is the the centenary of the first flight across the Atlantic. So it has to be a Vickers Vimy in 1:48

It'll also be the 80th anniversary of the start of WW2 and as most British and German subjects are already covered could we see new versions of the Ju 52, Ju 88, Battle, Lysander or possibly something French?

Of course with the Phantom being issued there is a cheaper way of celebrating Alcock and Brown, the 56 Sqn special marked FGR2, a simple reboxing with new decals - Just up Airfix's street.

I still want the Vimy though.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

Suggestions 
#3 either a WWII double-engined bomber or something from RAF jet era - so Ju-88 is one logical choice and Meteor is another one (tooled to enable various day fighter versions from at least Mk.III to Mk.10)

............................................Of course I want much more... Definitely I want all those jet aircraft already available in 1/48 - Javelin, Sea Vixen,

Meteor + newly tooled Venom, Sea Hawk, Buccaneer, nothing against modern tool Jaguar. I'm just afraid that Swift's 'success' taught Airfix not to invest in those subjects too heavily. Hope Phantom's real success changes that. 

Hi Dennis,

don't forget, Airfix have boxed a Meteor Mk.8 from the MPM(?) moulds, granted it was around 2012 -'13.

My understanding is that it was the same moulds that the Xtrakit meat box was popped from, and of course their own Mk.8, Mk.9 and 10.

I think that Hannant's had the chance to purchase the mould, but decided to go with the cheaper option, don't know if Airfix did similar?

Don't give upon the 72nd scale Javelin and Sea Vixen, they have, after all, already done some of the R&D with the 48th scale kits.

Having been building Airfix since their days in Haldane place, and having worked with an ex Airfix rep. not really bothered if there is a

'fallow' year or two, if thats what it takes to get the company back on an even keel.

All the moans about the 'delay' in issuing the Phantom, Sea Fury, B-25 etc. etc. ...............so the plastic is a little late in arriving...........and?

The rep I used to work with said, in his time (70's) with Airfix, ALL the rep's ran a 'book' on how long AFTER the advertised release date

the kits would 'hit the shelves', the record I seem to remember, was somewhere north of three years!

Paul

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

I'm speaking strictly about 1/72 since I do not build in 1/48 hence have no ideas about what market is open there. 

So - what could be reasonably expected as a new tool in 1/72 in 2019?

A really sensible and well-thought-out post. Probably the most realistic prediction I've read, and what I expect as well.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, janneman36 said:

I will be happy with a Hampden in 1/48...or else i am going to build my fine fonderie kit.:party:

This was not a threat:christmas:

I have ...don't bother..................... up there in the top ten worst kits of all time

Dick

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Darby said:

A new mould Human Skeleton or some Blue Tits, Bullfinch or other avian subject. That way nobody has to worry about panel lines, rivets or spokes on a wheel hub.

Darby........... think it through old chap................. If they brought out the Blue tits can you imagine the comments.............. wrong shape ...not big enough......sink marks etc etc. :doh::whistle:

Dick

Edited by jenko
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

don't forget, Airfix have boxed a Meteor Mk.8 from the MPM(?) moulds, granted it was around 2012 -'13.

My understanding is that it was the same moulds that the Xtrakit meat box was popped from, and of course their own Mk.8, Mk.9 and 10.

I think that Hannant's had the chance to purchase the mould, but decided to go with the cheaper option, don't know if Airfix did similar?

Interesting to know how re-packaging third-party sprues compares to selling own-produced models in terms of margin. Another question - how profitable is producing molds to sell for others to repack. Airfix very rarely repacks other manufacturers and never sells its sprues to others, while e.g. Hasegawa, Italeri or Zvezda actively trade both ways. 

For instance, why not to sell B-25 sprues to Zvezda to let it repack with Red Stars?

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Darby said:

A new mould Human Skeleton or some Blue Tits, Bullfinch or other avian subject. That way nobody has to worry about panel lines, rivets or spokes on a wheel hub.

But wouldn't they still complain about the radius and/or ulna on the Human Skeleton being too long, or the beak on the Blue Tit being inaccurate? Never underestimate the ability of modellers to find fault with any kit! Back on subject, I must have a 1/72nd scale Buccaneer and Sea Vixen. A Battle would be very nice also.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
An ever-so slight change, really just a trifle.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Aeronut said:

Of course with the Phantom being issued there is a cheaper way of celebrating Alcock and Brown, the 56 Sqn special marked FGR2, a simple reboxing with new decals - Just up Airfix's street.

I still want the Vimy though.

Don't forget the raspberry ripple A&AEE Boscombe Down Phantom FG.1 XT597

Edited by VMA131Marine

Just now, VMA131Marine said:

Don't forget the raspberry ripple A&AEE Boscombe Down Phantom FG.1

That'll need a new part to gives us the nose cone with the extended pressure head to do the colour scheme justice.

IIRC the actual modified nosecone is held by the Boscombe Down museum at Old Sarum.