1/48 - Hawker Hunter by Airfix - F.Mk.4/5/6, J34, FGA.9, FR.10 & GA.11 released

Homebee

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Some nice pictures on the Airfix website.

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/new-tooling-announcement-to-start-raf-centenary-year/

Can I have mine now please?  :bounce: 

Some nice pictures of a Fury and Sea Hawk. Wishful thinking on my part perhaps but can I have the former in 24th scale and the latter in 72nd please?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Some nice pictures on the Airfix website.

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/new-tooling-announcement-to-start-raf-centenary-year/

Can I have mine now please?  :bounce: 

Those nice pictures that Airfix are showing, do show cutaway flaps and tail options for a F6 and F6a..............chances are, you will be given the option to make a before or after model?  As a Standard Mark 6 or the Refurbished Mk6a bringing it upto FGA9 standard, apart from these features, apart from a few vents and holes which were to be found on the new FGA9s........you could model an FGA9 straight from this kit, just by referring to photos(their is a bump on the wing, inside the roundel you would have to make, but, as modellers, I cannot see that presenting a problem to any of us

15 minutes ago, rayprit said:

Those nice pictures that Airfix are showing, do show cutaway flaps and tail options for a F6 and F6a..

Hi Ray,

I can see the parabrake housing for the F6A but where did you notice the notched flaps. On the Airfix CAD renders or the LIDAR scan images of somewhere else???

The LIDAR scan doesn't mean much though - that's just their reference material.

That said, the CAD doesn't show the parts breakdown, so any specifics are just a guess at this point in time.  Though one of the few parts it does seem to show are separate flaps, so presumably they could go the same route as Academy and include a set of cut-out flaps, plus an insert to glue onto the wing.

Also interesting to see that the wing serial is recessed.  Guess those kits from the 50's were accurate after all.  :D  (actually, kind of interesting to see that it seems to process the geometry differently based on the colour; I wonder what the margin of error is for the point cloud?)

21 minutes ago, ICMF said:

Also interesting to see that the wing serial is recessed.  Guess those kits from the 50's were accurate after all.  :D  (actually, kind of interesting to see that it seems to process the geometry differently based on the colour; I wonder what the margin of error is for the point cloud?)

Perhaps it caused by the reflectivity of the surface The serial number is painted and reflects differently to the rest of the surface??

Agree on the flaps. With the launch date of October they must be well advanced with the CAD at this point to meet that release date.

On 2018-01-09 at 12:45 PM, VMA131Marine said:

I bought a few sets when the Academy kit first came out. They are still in my stash of aftermarket parts. I should have thrown them on ebay last week.:facepalm:

There are still slow people on the uptake. 😝

Edited by Scooby

16 hours ago, guillaume320 said:

Strange to see there seems to be an insert (part missing on the CAD) on the lower leading edge, inboard of the dogtooth... Thoughts anyone? 

Perhaps they will tool the kit in such a way as the lower leading edge will be one piece to account for straight and dogtooth wings?

6 minutes ago, Col. said:

Perhaps they will tool the kit in such a way as the lower leading edge will be one piece to account for straight and dogtooth wings?

That's what I'm hoping too!

10 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Oh yeah, it would be curious why they would tool that as a separate part

The hopeful part of me says that's how they're going to ensure alignment of the different types of leading edge, another part of me thinks that is Airfix's method of deciding where support/alignment pins are going to be needed and there's nothing for us to get excited about.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wadeocu said:

I'm curious about the lidar scan image.  Why does the serial show up in the scan?  Is it the thickness of the paint?  Why does it appear as a depression?

Read posts 106 & 107

4 minutes ago, wadeocu said:

Yes indeed, i actually did skim the posts looking for comment before posting,:banghead:

We all have days like that!

A very welcome addition, but given the plethora of fabulous markings worn by Hunters (wish we could have an F.5 of 34 sqn!) the choices on offer are massively underwhelming to me. If I fork out for this I'll be straight on eBay looking for 56 sqn or 74 sqn decals I think.

On 17/01/2018 at 5:12 PM, Lord Riot said:

A very welcome addition, but given the plethora of fabulous markings worn by Hunters (wish we could have an F.5 of 34 sqn!) the choices on offer are massively underwhelming to me. If I fork out for this I'll be straight on eBay looking for 56 sqn or 74 sqn decals I think.

I'm sure there will be several boxings to come with more exciting and colourful markings in the next couple years ;)

• Like 1