1/48 - Hawker Hunter by Airfix - F.Mk.4/5/6, J34, FGA.9, FR.10 & GA.11 released

Homebee

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Is anyone else buying decals in preparation?  :bounce: 

I've gone for this.  https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48033

I've got my eye on the 74 Sqn, 12 Sqn and 4 FTS options.

If the recent Airfix 1/72 Phantom is anything to go by, I’d say there will be plenty of new sheets coming out around the time that this thing hits the shops. By all means fill your boots, however I’d be expecting a larger range and greater choice is on there way. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Just now, Rabbit Leader said:

If the recent Airfix 1/72 Phantom is anything to go by, I’d say there will be plenty of new sheets coming out around the time that this thing hits the shops. By all means fill your boots, however I’d be expecting a larger range and greater choice is on there way.

That's what worries me... :lol: 

Wonder whether or not the Heritage Aviation Models T.7 conversion set will fit the new kit...

:pray: Please, Gawd, make possible that the HAM set will be grafted onto this new Hunter kit fine.

Yeh, do it.

What do you mates think? What does Ian think? And Mike? Melchie?

Me's anxious now.

Yeh, me is. 

19 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Wonder whether or not the Heritage Aviation Models T.7 conversion set will fit the new kit...

:pray: Please, Gawd, make possible that the HAM set will be grafted onto this new Hunter kit fine.

Yeh, do it. '(...)

I wish the Heritage Aviation T.7 conversion set had a injected or a clear resin canopy/windscreen...

V.P.

2 hours ago, Homebee said:

I wish the Heritage Aviation T.7 conversion set had a injected or a clear resin canopy/windscreen...

Well, V.P., my mate; the good thing about the Heritage Aviation T.7 conversion set is that it brings two vac-form canopies/windscreens with which to experiment. I've made both internal and exterior frames on mine, that add a lot of detail to the opened canopies. My set came with both control columns and rudder pedals missing.

I wish QMT would do a resin cockpit for the two-seat Hunters, like they did with the Lightning T.4/T.5

Looking at the test shot in the link below, I'm pleased to see the cockpit area is separate from the fuselage.  I know this is probably to aid the design for seamless air intakes but it also makes one wonder if this is also because a T-Bird could be on the way??

Picture taken from Facebook

https://www.dropbox.com/s/is505vmqrtc1l7g/FB_IMG_1516869118391.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Phantom Phil

OK - I’ll bite.

The above link should be cautioned with a ‘warning’ as I think this poor distorted image and bloated front end does nothing to showcase this model. 

If people are going to link photos of test shots, can they at least be descent ones - Please!! (not having a go at you Phantom Phil). 

Just commenting on what I’m seeing as I’ll bet that the real deal will look the goods. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I thought it would be good to post than not at all as this is currently the only photo I have came across on the new Hunter.  It looks to be a very rough 3D printed model but it was more of the fact of how it looks to go together that is of interest.  I have no qualms as to the quality of the final kit will be over this first incarnation. 

6 minutes ago, Phantom Phil said:

I thought it would be good to post than not at all as this is currently the only photo I have came across on the new Hunter.  It looks to be a very rough 3D printed model but it was more of the fact of how it looks to go together that is of interest.  I have no qualms as to the quality of the final kit will be over this first incarnation. 

I agree Phil, and thanks for posting.

The problem is there are certain chaps who seem to enjoy slandering CAD Images and Test Shot builds well in advance of getting hold of the plastic or seeing build reviews.

It's a shame that this image is distorted so much as it just adds fuel where there is hopefully no fire.

Anyway - enough said. Let's hope it doesn't end up where I think it might!

Cheers.. Dave      

38 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

The problem is there are certain chaps who seem to enjoy slandering CAD Images and Test Shot builds well in advance of getting hold of the plastic or seeing build reviews.

It's a shame that this image is distorted so much as it just adds fuel where there is hopefully no fire.

That's not always a problem, I know of at least one instance of a recent Airfix kit where a problem was spotted on the initial CAD display, communicated to Airfix via the proper channels and the error was corrected before production. I also know of another where it was too late as the moulds were already finished when the initial announcement and CAD renders were displayed. Airfix control the release of data on new subjects for various reasons, to build anticipation, control expectation and maintain an interest, and what we see is not neccessrauly where they are with the finished article.

I doubt many will draw conclusions from a mobile phone pic taken at a toy fair of what looks like a 3D print of the kit. Be interesting to see what they show at Nuremburg.

The observation that the fuselage appears to be split behind the cockpit is an interesting one - it also shows on the CAD image

Edited by Dave Fleming

Interesting picture. 

Having the cockpit as a module makes sense as you can then tool a twin seat nose and use the rest of the existing tooling to provide the balance of the bits. That’s sensible If you want to extract as many different versions out of the base tooling as possible. Which is how Airfix operate.

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I don't think a component break where we see it in that photo would work.  The spine fairing on the Hunter T-bird runs halfway down the fuselage.

Looking at the side view of the CAD., there are a couple of interesting panel lines that differ from the rest. Might be nothing, might be something

I'm still glad that it's coming, but I'll wait to see the plastic before I go into paroxysms ... It's too hard to judge from a few CAD renders and what looks like a resin test shot (and a fairly crude one at that!).

A crew of us from IPMS Avon attended a recent lecture from the head of research at Airfix, and he brought an example of these resin models along. They are made up from the early CAD images of layer upon layer of a special type of resin which melts at quite a low temperature. He explained its used quite early in the design process.  I would not base much opinion of the final kit on that resin block model.

7 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Second photo down in Homebee’s post, do I spot a vertical join?

Trevor

Trevor,

It's already been discussed, see below.

Do try and keep up now, there's a good chap! :tease:

On 1/25/2018 at 13:25, Dave Fleming said:

That's not always a problem, I know of at least one instance of a recent Airfix kit where a problem was spotted on the initial CAD display, communicated to Airfix via the proper channels and the error was corrected before production. I also know of another where it was too late as the moulds were already finished when the initial announcement and CAD renders were displayed. Airfix control the release of data on new subjects for various reasons, to build anticipation, control expectation and maintain an interest, and what we see is not neccessrauly where they are with the finished article.

I doubt many will draw conclusions from a mobile phone pic taken at a toy fair of what looks like a 3D print of the kit. Be interesting to see what they show at Nuremburg.

The observation that the fuselage appears to be split behind the cockpit is an interesting one - it also shows on the CAD image

On 1/25/2018 at 17:59, Plasto said:

Interesting picture. 

Having the cockpit as a module makes sense as you can then tool a twin seat nose and use the rest of the existing tooling to provide the balance of the bits. That’s sensible If you want to extract as many different versions out of the base tooling as possible. Which is how Airfix operate.

On 1/25/2018 at 19:08, Enzo Matrix said:

I don't think a component break where we see it in that photo would work.  The spine fairing on the Hunter T-bird runs halfway down the fuselage.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Wez said:

Trevor,

It's already been discussed, see below.

Do try and keep up now, there's a good chap! :tease:

It’s the weekend. I don’t brain on a Friday night!

Trevor

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Second photo down in Homebee’s post, do I spot a vertical join?

Trevor

Looks like there are four of them, but it's a low-res, highly compressed JPEG so it's tough to tell for sure.

I have no idea what kind/s of rapid prototyping machines Airfix runs or has access to, but it's possible they needed to break it down to fit a build envelope.  Or to let them iterate smaller sections.  I wouldn't read too much into it yet.

• Like 1

Looks like there is a join behind the wing trailing edge. Which fits with something I saw on the CAD. And hinted at earlier - the side view in the CAD images shows a white line where these are on the model. Interestingly, they don’t show on the underside. Might be nothing, but the parts where you would expect to see the joins for the separate tail pipes are also showing as white lines.

R_Exclusive_computer_rendered_3D_images_

Edited by Dave Fleming