1/48 - Hawker Hunter by Airfix - F.Mk.4/5/6, J34, FGA.9, FR.10 & GA.11 released

Homebee

8 minutes ago, Wez said:

GA.11 and PR.11 were based on F.4 airframes, not F.6 although they do have the dog-tooth leading edge to the wing that was eventually introduced on the Mk6

That's why I was very careful with my choice of words!

The F.6 introduced the wing, F.4s were later retired and converted into the many GA.11s and T.7s and various export type

Edited by 71chally

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

I thought that the brake chute housing and flap cutouts is what made an F.6 an F.6A?

I thought there was an avionics change too, the IFF or is it TACAN antenna (same type of antennaa), on the upper nose in front of the windscreen.

2 hours ago, Anthony Kesterton said:

Excellent news about the Hunter.  So glad I skipped the Academy kit.

You obviously haven't seen the Lindberg kit that was available before Academy's effort.:swear: And, Aeroclub did an IM and metal parts set that corrected the major problems of the Academy kit so it isn't unfixable.

10 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

So that means Avon 100 series engines vs 200 series in the F.6 and FGA.9, which results in a smaller diameter jetpipe.

..and though only minor, there were differences in the centre section fuselages of the small 100 srs and big 200 srs Avons, mainly vents and ports.

There were plans to create a big engined twin seater a few years back, but the changes were deemed too much.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

Aeroclub did an IM and metal parts set that corrected the major problems of the Academy kit so it isn't unfixable.

But pretty much unavailable and has been that way for some time, I would certainly recommend anyone snap it up if they see it.  With the Aeroclub, a bit of fettling of the fin fairing, relocating the tailplanes and their rubbing plate and finally, ignoring the instructions and attaching the wings to their respective fuselage half's prior to gluing those halves together, you can make a fairly respectable Hunter out of the Academy kit.

3 minutes ago, Wez said:

But pretty much unavailable and has been that way for some time, I would certainly recommend anyone snap it up if they see it.  With the Aeroclub, a bit of fettling of the fin fairing, relocating the tailplanes and their rubbing plate and finally, ignoring the instructions and attaching the wings to their respective fuselage half's prior to gluing those halves together, you can make a fairly respectable Hunter out of the Academy kit.

I bought a few sets when the Academy kit first came out. They are still in my stash of aftermarket parts. I should have thrown them on ebay last week.:facepalm:

1 minute ago, VMA131Marine said:

I bought a few sets when the Academy kit first came out. They are still in my stash of aftermarket parts. I should have thrown them on ebay last week.:facepalm:

He who hesitates is lost!

11 minutes ago, 71chally said:

There were plans to create a big engined twin seater a few years back, but the changes were deemed too much.

This I didn't know about but it's something I find surprising seeing as some F.4's were converted to T.7/8 by changing the nose forward of the transport joint.  Wonder if there was a bit more to it than that?

24 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Maybe in private hands but back in the day many of the export versions of the T-bird were 'big-engined' aircraft, and with twin Adens too.

Edited by StephenMG

1 minute ago, StephenMG said:

Maybe in private hands but back in the day many of the export versions of the T-bird were 'big-engined' aircraft, and with twin Adens too.

That rings a bell, weren't the Indian Hunter trainers 200 series engined aircraft?

11 minutes ago, Wez said:

This I didn't know about but it's something I find surprising seeing as some F.4's were converted to T.7/8 by changing the nose forward of the transport joint.  Wonder if there was a bit more to it than that?

Nope, not much more to it than that. In fact the original aim was to not to have to alter the centre section at all so the first prototype had a much sharper contoured fairing behind the cockpit to match the original spine of the single-seater. That didn't work well aerodynamically so the fairing was lengthened to give it the 'humped back' appearance we know and love. The brake chute was added to counteract the increased landing weight with the twin-tub nose fitted.

2 minutes ago, Wez said:

That rings a bell, weren't the Indian Hunter trainers 200 series engined aircraft?

Correct, the T.66.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Wez said:

I thought there was an avionics change too, the IFF or is it TACAN antenna (same type of antennaa), on the upper nose in front of the windscreen.

Yes there were a number of avionics changes - changes to IFF, introduction of TACAN, ARC.52 radio, removal of Rebecca DME, gun radar etc., plus the addition of the tropicalisation/souped up air conditioning of the FGA.9. All the extra weight, and the ability to carry the big 230 gallon tanks, was the reason for adding the brake chute. The early F.6 wasn't much more than an F.4 with a big engine so by the time it got to the F.6A it had changed out of all recognition - testament to the brilliance of the design. The F.6 was the most numerous Hunter mark by far. In fact the FGA.9s were converted from F.6s so they just went on and on and on!

The F.6 was the most numerous Hunter mark by far

Thus justifying its choice as a subject by Airfix!  Yes I'd love an F.4 but only because there's so many interesting squadron markings to go with it, but I think overall, the F.6 offers more options especially with the inclusion of the brake chute in the kit, there's many, many marking options available with this kit.  I'm very happy Airfix are bringing us this kit.

Whats going on with the wing root in the top image of the 3-D render??? Also it looks a bit like how Academy did the wing to fuselage join. But I am not saying that Airfix will do it the same way... hope not anyway.

Not bothered by the decal choices in this instant as Xtradecal do a few interesting ones designed for the ACA kit but will surely work on the new Airfix one. And someone else could well be working on some nice schemes already...

46 minutes ago, StephenMG said:

It was.  

The T.12 was a big engined trainer, as well as the export T.66 to 70.

PS, I didn't realise that you are a member here Mark, greetings from Saints!

12 minutes ago, 71chally said:

It was.  

The T.12 was a big engined trainer, as well as the export T.66 to 70.

PS, I didn't realise that you are a member here Mark, greetings from Saints!

James! I didn't realise it was you! It's been a while, hope you're well?

44 minutes ago, Wez said:

Thus justifying its choice as a subject by Airfix!

Yep, my feelings exactly. This kit gives us a world of F.6, FGA.9 and a whole load of export options too! I can't wait, but it's going to cost me a lot of money! :)

• Like 1

This kit gives us a world of F.6, FGA.9 and a whole load of export options too! I can't wait, but it's going to cost me a lot of money!

Me too!  Smart move by Airfix!

7 minutes ago, StephenMG said:

James! I didn't realise it was you! It's been a while, hope you're well?

Yeah all good, and you I hope?  A few family changes since we last met. Be great to catch up again.

Anyway, Great news with the Hunter release, and I think the best option, at least to start with!

On 10/01/2018 at 07:50, bentwaters81tfw said:

And just what is the matter with it?

Very nice! But now I'm going to have to build the one I have to prove to myself it can be done. Maybe I'll do it alongside the AMT Meteor F.I

1 hour ago, StephenMG said:

Yes there were a number of avionics changes - changes to IFF, introduction of TACAN, ARC.52 radio, removal of Rebecca DME, gun radar etc., plus the addition of the tropicalisation/souped up air conditioning of the FGA.9. All the extra weight, and the ability to carry the big 230 gallon tanks, was the reason for adding the brake chute. The early F.6 wasn't much more than an F.4 with a big engine so by the time it got to the F.6A it had changed out of all recognition - testament to the brilliance of the design. The F.6 was the most numerous Hunter mark by far. In fact the FGA.9s were converted from F.6s so they just went on and on and on!

Indeed. The F.6A was very much an interim FGA.9, with the braking parachute and the big tanks only. The FGA.9 also had increased oxygen capacity and a tweaking of the controls in the pitching plane to allow greater sensitivity, which was seen to be necessary for ground attack ops.