Airfix Nimrod MR.1

That was not a pitot probe on the nose of Nimrod, but a Lightning conductor/ static discharger. Sorry I can't remember which properly as it has been over 30 yrs since I last worked on one. I was doing a A/F servicing one day when I noticed that this was damaged, so walking into the line office the pilot was still there , so I asked him if they had had a lightning strike. He replied that they had not but the refuelling basket that they were trying to use had hit the fuselage around that area so it must have been that. If I remember rightly they were on a night tanker/refuelling familiarisation flight as the probes had not long been fitted to our R1 (XW664).

• Like 2

The inclement conditions abated long enough to get the entire grey coating sprayed! I'm pleased with how it went on, the Monster spray paint is superb and at only £8 a can highly recommended! The real test will come when I peel off all that masking tape, however. This is RAL7035 'light grey' satin ...

2i12pnr.jpg

• Like 5

Another Woodford favourite taking shape.

2ur305u.jpg

2vughtj.jpg

I'm pleased with how the straight line went, and the masking tape and spray behaved admirably. I just need to touch up a couple of bits where the white is thinner. 

• Like 20

She's coming together quite nicely. After perusing a few walkaround images I painted the thrust reverser ducts and accompanying ducts.

2mwxp8o.jpg

Undercarriage sitting and setting ready to add tomorrow.

2m5e61l.jpg

I did notice that Airfix appear to have forgotten to tell you to add clear part 10F before you fit the clear searchlight cover (8F):

2lvo1w7.jpg

I think this is for all versions except the R.1. There's definitely a part that doesn't appear to fit anywhere else and looks the right size and shape, so I'll use it.

14mxq2u.jpg

4qfrq.jpg

• Like 3

This coming along nicely, the grey/white scheme certainly looks good. Nice to see such a tidy demarkation, I inevitably get some sort of bleed through the masking when painting demarkation lines.

If it wasn't for the fact that a Hemp coloured jet lived on our flight line for a week or so back in 1988 I would have done it in this scheme.

Loving your progress.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I did notice that Airfix appear to have forgotten to tell you to add clear part 10F before you fit the clear searchlight cover (8F):

2lvo1w7.jpg

I think this is for all versions except the R.1. There's definitely a part that doesn't appear to fit anywhere else and looks the right size and shape, so I'll use it.

14mxq2u.jpg

4qfrq.jpg

Blast!!  I meant to put that in my original post but it's so long since I built mine I'd forgotten exactly what I'd done to it.  You're right though: it's MR-variant specific, the R. Mk. 1s have an additional antenna fairing in the tank nose IIRC

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

She's looking absolutely gorgeous!

Martian

Thanks! Got to admit she's come out better than I was expecting, I haven't done a demarcation line that long before! In fact this is my first ever Nimrod. There's a lot of decal work ahead though!

9 hours ago, stever219 said:

Blast!!  I meant to put that in my original post but it's so long since I built mine I'd forgotten exactly what I'd done to it.  You're right though: it's MR-variant specific, the R. Mk. 1s have an additional antenna fairing in the tank nose IIRC

We did have a black (sometimes painted Hemp) radome on the front of the 4A tanks, but I am not sure if anything was beneath them as the R1s did have a few dummy radomes fitted. I am trying to remember if I ever saw these ones removed during servicing, as I do remember that tail one being removed several times.

Your model is coming along brilliantly. One thing though and this depends on if you are bothered or not but the 3 black marks that you have painted behind the reverse thrusters were actually blow in doors and were shut whilst on the ground with no power if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

Slowly but surely, the stencils are going on. Some are so tiny!

Jabba - thanks for the tip mate, I'll paint over the blow-in doors with satin 166. Did you fly in Nimrods!?

2ur065e.jpg

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Jabba - thanks for the tip mate, I'll paint over the blow-in doors with satin 166. Did you fly in Nimrods!?

I was a rigger from Nov 81 to Jul 87 on 51 Sqn based at RAF Wyton, although we did get to fly in them on the odd jolly here and there.

• Like 1

Anonymous Nimrod MR.1! All the tiny decals finally done, some are just a millimetre, but it is strangely rewarding to get them all on correctly.

Ready for the fun bit tomorrow - roundels and serials!

2128irl.jpg

• Like 8