Airfix Nimrod MR.1

More filling needed underneath to block off the fitting points for Sidewinders, and a couple of tiny holes under the left wing that don't seem to be for any versions looking at the instructions!

2je3wi.jpg

• Like 3

Almost ready for spray painting! Just a few more aerials to add along the top of the fuselage, then the rather onerous task of covering each port-hole with blu-tack.

I assume it would be best to spray the grey first, then the white, unless anyone can suggest a reason why not? It'll be such a big area of paint I need to get it absolutely spot on. 

2hdbi0z.jpg

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Almost ready for spray painting! Just a few more aerials to add along the top of the fuselage, then the rather onerous task of covering each port-hole with blu-tack.

I assume it would be best to spray the grey first, then the white, unless anyone can suggest a reason why not? It'll be such a big area of paint I need to get it absolutely spot on. 

2hdbi0z.jpg

It's usually best to get the lighter colour on first: most whites have poor covering power so you'd need to build up several layers to cover the grey properly.  Some folks swear by Tamiya fine white primer as both primer and finish coats but I've not used it.

Your Nimrod's coming on well: I'm very jealous of your rate of progress, positively jet-propelled compared to my near-glacial (as in noticeably slower than the glaciers) rate.  Now all you need is a nice Shackleton to park next to it😉.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

Now all you need is a nice Shackleton to park next to it😉.

How's this one? 😁

1jon6g.jpg

Thanks for the painting tip, I'll do the white first then. Hopefully it won't peel off when I stick masking tape over it!

• Like 5

Like seeing a Nimrod in build, the grey & white just look to me the way it should be.  Can’t beleive that no one has every done a vac form 1/48 Comet or Nimrod.  Would be a beast of a kit.  Keep up the good work on your build

• Like 1

What rob Lyttle said.  I have a pair of Airfix MR. 2s on the go with a third to follow (lack of communication between Christmas and birthday fairies; don't ask!) so one of my Nimrods ought to reappear from the Stash of Doom for a bit of gluing action as, like Romeo Alpha Yankee, I'm feeling motivated.  Having thoughts of a jet from the 1977 Finningley Silver Jubilee display.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

More filling needed underneath to block off the fitting points for Sidewinders, and a couple of tiny holes under the left wing that don't seem to be for any versions looking at the instructions!

2je3wi.jpg

Those tiny holes on the left side should be on the right as well, i have seen them on both sides on the MR1 and MR2 ......

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments chaps! It's been a reasonably straightforward build, just a bit of filling needed here and there. I'm not really looking forward to masking all the portholes with blu-tack though! 

I agree I think the grey & white just suits them best, but I do plan to build a hemp MR.2 at some point as well! 

Almost every picture of a Nimrod MR.1 seems to show slightly different aerial fitments on the top of the fuselage. Does anybody know when the larger rear aerial above the rear door was added? I'm guessing it's a retrofit that individual Nimrods gained at different times over a year or two. 

2en5nnp.jpg

The Airfix instructions say to add the aerial as above, but the kit subject XV249 doesn't have it ...

dlj9xd.jpg

The instructions also say to add a small aerial to the left of the rail, but both examples above have nothing there and an extra one in front of the rail.  

• Like 1

Incredible rate of progress and a quality build! At this point I'd still be gently fondling the sprues thinking about planning a date to cut the parts off.

Kirk

(Just a heads up: Airliners.net get narked about posting their images. Post a link instead and everyone's happy).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stever219 said:

Having thoughts of a jet from the 1977 Finningley Silver Jubilee display.

Please make it the 42 Sqn jet, save me having to build one of mine!

1465993-large.jpg

RA Scholefield - Air Britain Images

@Lord Riot, the aerials are a nightmare, especially on MR.2s, probably best to pick a certain Nimrod that you have photos of and model from it.

That extra aerial was a later fit, I would say circa late '70s early '80s.

Another thing to watch is that the intake lips seem to go from silver to grey at some stage, and the very early Nimrods had black ASV nose radomes and tailplane tips which housed the ILS aerials.

Maybe we could have a Nimrod group build!:penguin:

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

The white is on! I'll now leave this to dry for over 24 hours before spraying the grey. That long, long dead straight demarcation line is going to be crucial. Hope Tamiya masking tape is up to it, and won't pull the white off.

359a1dt.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

Please make it the 42 Sqn jet, save me having to build one of mine!

1465993-large.jpg

RA Scholefield - Air Britain Images

@Lord Riot, the aerials are a nightmare, especially on MR.2s, probably best to pick a certain Nimrod that you have photos of and model from it.

That extra aerial was a later fit, I would say circa late '70s early '80s.

Another thing to watch is that the intake lips seem to go from silver to grey at some stage, and the very early Nimrods had black ASV nose radomes and tailplane tips which housed the ILS aerials.

Maybe we could have a Nimrod group build!:penguin:

XZ285 is a definite contender: she's on the Xtradecal sheet (that I don't yet have) and 42 Squadron just missed out in the great "which unit's Shackleton should I model" debate.  XV249 is the other seriously-considered option as the only Nimrod to serve as MR. 1, MR. 2 and R. 1.

Thanks for the reminder about radomes, tailplane tips and intake lips too.

• Like 3

The white line looks pretty straight to me, and not much leakage along grooves either. I'm pleased with this so far, hopefully it'll look tidy once the grey is on. Have to line up the masking tape perfectly along the white though! My biggest worry with this is the tape peeling off the white, is there anything I can do to minimise that risk?

35dc27b.jpg

• Like 3

I work on the theory now that you spray the first colour (in your case white) and let it dry.  Tape on top for the grey and then dust over some white first.  The white may bleed up into the existing white but won’t show, sealing up any potential bleeds.  Then put the grey over it.  Let it dry & tape off.  It’s worked quite well for me so far

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bar side said:

I work on the theory now that you spray the first colour (in your case white) and let it dry.  Tape on top for the grey and then dust over some white first.  The white may bleed up into the existing white but won’t show, sealing up any potential bleeds.  Then put the grey over it.  Let it dry & tape off.  It’s worked quite well for me so far

I like that idea a lot, have to remember that one

Well that was fun ... 

5ufqr8.jpg

Added the little pitot tube on the nose too, it wasn't included in the kit so I chopped up one of the small R.1 aerials. The gunge above it is blu-tack masking the nose lamp.

16jppir.jpg

It's a massive spray job, does anybody have any recommendations on how to do it? All in one go, or wings first, leave to dry then fuselage, or vice versa?

• Like 3

First I'd lose that nose join line and the paint line at the top, needs softening, then rescribe the panels that got lost, then mist the paint over the fuselage before following up on the wings

The grey on the wings should be treated as one surface on the top, don't worry about the white fuselage then do the tail surfaces

You should do underneath later, I reckon

I don't envy the use of aerosols for this, you are going to teach me stuff about the task when you show the end product.

It's a brave new world to me

good luck

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, perdu said:

First I'd lose that nose join line and the paint line at the top, needs softening, then rescribe the panels that got lost, then mist the paint over the fuselage before following up on the wings

The grey on the wings should be treated as one surface on the top, don't worry about the white fuselage then do the tail surfaces

You should do underneath later, I reckon

I don't envy the use of aerosols for this, you are going to teach me stuff about the task when you show the end product.

It's a brave new world to me

good luck

Thanks, I'll give the nose join another filing for sure. I like the idea of doing the top first, and as it'll be from the same can I don't think it will dry a different colour. I've got a tin of Humbrol satin 166 for minor touch-ups just in case too! 

• Like 1