DH Mosquito video

72modeler

Put on your headphones, guys, and turn up the volume! Fantastic video of the Virginia Military Museum's restored Mossie beating up the field. Talk about surround sound- is there any better music than two Merlins singing? What a beautiful restoration! (Glad the videographer didn't spoil the sound by inserting the theme from '633 Squadron,' although I will admit to humming it while watching!) From You Tube.

Mike

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Nice, brings back good memories of when I saw here at her first public show at Ardmore, Auckland in  Sept 2012, 2 days after her 1st flight.  Pure twin Merlin magic.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

One word, 

M - Music to my ears.

A - An amazing aeroplane.

G - Gorgeous sound of two Merlins on full song.

N - Neat flying display by a very lucky pilot.

I - Incredible restoration of a fine aeroplane.

F - Fine tribute to all those who flew Mosquitoes.

I - Immaculate attention to detail.

C - Captivating blend of sight and sound.

E - Engineered to perfection.

N - Never forget the Wooden Wonder.

T - There are tears in my eyes and a tingle down the back of my neck.

Thank you for sharing the video Mike.

Edited by cngaero
  • Like 3

Watch the following video too. Mosquito, Hurricane, Spitfire, Zero, FW190 and Bf109 somewhere in the US. Awesome as they say. 

Merlins make the best sound though no question. 

Almost made this jaded old flyer want get back in the air.

11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I have some walk-around and in-flight photos of EG-Y KA114 here. Scroll down a bit. It was a joy to see and hear her fly in person.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

I am sooo jealous! I did get to see Kermit Weeks' Mossie years ago at a Confederate Air Force airshow in Harlingen....beautiful sight and sound

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2018 at 4:35 AM, noelh said:

Watch the following video too. Mosquito, Hurricane, Spitfire, Zero, FW190 and Bf109 somewhere in the US.

That would be the Flying Heritage Collection at Everett, Washington. The aircraft are owned by Paul Allen. I had the pleasure of attending that show, debuting his new Mosquito, the third now flying.

The Zero was the cameraship for John Dibbs in that formation, you can spot him in the videos. I forget the magazine but a group shot from that flight is now a cover and it's spectacular.

HAFU, the organisation behind the video in the OP's link, have a fantastic DVD/Blu-ray collection of KA114's NZ displays. Well worth the money for a Mossie fan and they even have the option to turn off narration entirely.

Steve may remember this, but I'll never forget that first pass at Ardmore. Everyone went pin-drop silent, she went by, then everyone broke into applause. I feel privileged to have been there.

And you'll all be glad to hear that FB.VI PZ474/NZ2384 is steadily progressing on the road back to airworthiness here in NZ also. Super excited to see a former RNZAF machine fly, the only one to fly here on the civil register before KA114.

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2018 at 12:42 AM, 72modeler said:

the theme from '633 Squadron,'

This might be a bit boring to anybody other than a musician but Ron Goodwin made the 633 theme reflect the title in the beat.  If you count it out, it goes 6,3,6,3,6,3,6,3,6,3,3,3,6,3,6,3.  (The sixes are twice as quick a the threes).  Cracking bit of music and very cleverly written.

• Like 1