Must see Mosquito documentary

Pete in Lincs

I just watched this on PBS America.

A nice documentary on the rebuild of a former Spartan Air Services Mosquito in Canada.

It culminates in the test flights by none other than Steve Hinton.

Here is a link to the tube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPH_5YhgN3M

Enjoy. Pete

• Like 4

Seen it!  very interesting footage and images of the Spartan Mossies. Shame the restoration is so glossy though. However it is real nice to know there is another airworthy Mosquito. Surely one must be arranged for the UK to have one.... hopefully one day...???

• Like 1

Seen it too but worth another look, thanks for the nudge Pete. I find the Spartan story an interesting one & would be prepared to sacrifice a bulged bomb bay & two stage engines to build one. Now, who does decals for them. :unsure:

Steve.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2018 at 1:55 PM, stevehnz said:

Seen it too but worth another look, thanks for the nudge Pete. I find the Spartan story an interesting one & would be prepared to sacrifice a bulged bomb bay & two stage engines to build one. Now, who does decals for them. :unsure:

Steve.

You may be happy to know then that the organization in which I sit on the board is restoring a former Spartan B.35 CF-HMS (RAF serial RS700) to taxi condition and that it will sport its Spartan Air Services paint scheme. See more here: http://www.calgarymosquitosociety.com/home.htm

Our quarterly report closing out 2017 has just been posted there.

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My pleasure Steve. Presently dealing with a lot of water damage and glue deterioration. Replacement of balsa in damaged areas with modern epoxies is nearing completion and the first replacement outer skin section will be glued on tomorrow.

• Like 2

Having seen bits of deteriorated mosquito structures, I do not underestimate the remarkable efforts you guys are making. You're on the list of my World Tour of Aircraft Museums, just need that lotto win now. :D

Steve.

• Like 1