French Skyraider armour

Wez

Thinking about the proposed Small Wars GB and I was musing over the possibility of making a French Skyraider, the thing is all 1/72nd scale kits for the single seat versions are for A-1H/J models which feature the additional armour on the underside.

The French aircraft were AD-4/AD-4N models which didn't have the armour fitted in US service but did they have it fitted in French service?  Given the role they were doing it would seem logical they would want the armour.

I know I'll need to make the earlier rounded main pylons rather than the angular ones fitted to A-1H/J models, I've got a couple of surplus Bearcat drop tanks to use and I'm sure I can source some other stores from elsewhere and I have the kit and decals so I'm all ready to go.

The question is, do I keep the armour, struggle to take it off and restore the surface finish or as it's on the underside and most people won't see it, give it a good ignoring?

Edited by Wez

Well, you may be lucky here...

I've looked into the French Skyraiders myself in the past as it's a subject I find very interesting and for this reason I bought this book, that I highly recommend: 

http://www.aviationbookcentre.com/military__jet_era/airfan_hors_serie_les_skyraider_dans_larmee_de_lair/6399_p.html

(I have no affiliation with this shop, it's just one place where I saw the book for sale, it's long OOP so if you're interested you may have to search around)

The book is all in French language, I can read a bit of French and among the various info I read that armour was added for the pilot.... this made me curious and browsing the book I noticed how actually all pictures seemed to show the presence of armour around the cockpit !
Enter Tailspin Turtle's (member here) great blog and this article:

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.it/2013/07/ad-armor-all.html

Checking again the pictures on the book against this info I found that all French AD-4s had the external step, meaning they had the armour on the cockpit sides.

Unfortunately it's very hard to see if they have armour under the fuselage, as there are only few pictures that clearly show this area, however judging from a couple of picture I'd say that IMHO the armour is there on the bottom too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wez

If you haven't seen them yet, these galleries are quite interesting.

First some French aircrafts

http://www.frenchwings.net/algeria/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=7

Then some pictures taken by a French pilot serving in Gabon on former French Skyraiders

http://skyraider.org/skyassn/otherpics/borne/borne.htm

To me all the pictures showing the area around the cockpit seem to indicate the presence of the armour.

Interestingly, F-AZHK, the skyraider flying today in French colour (itself a former AdA machine) does not show the armour, guess this was removed at some point. See this picture for example for comparison with the bog post and the pictures of the operational French aircrafts

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Douglas_AD4-NA_Skyraider_127002_20-LN_(F-AZHK)_(7000093184).jpg

Looking forward to know more myself, clearly not having to remove the armour means way less work in converting an AD-6 into a French machine

Edited by Giorgio N

Hi Wez!

I cant lay my hands on an image now but the best book by far is the French-language “les Skyraiders Francais”. It is pricey, though. 

My understaning is that the French Skyraiders did not have armour. When I built mine, though, it was too much phaff to remove it.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Martin that was my understanding too, guess that I had given for granted the notion that armour was introduced on the AD-6 so automatically assumed that the AD-4 didn't use it. However after reading the Airfan special and checking as many pictures as possible I'm now leaning towards the idea that they had armour. The story of armour on Skyraiders seem to be less simple than we thought

Giorgio, many thanks for those links, I'd already bookmarked one of them but it doesn't hurt to have plenty more references.

Martin, thanks for making me aware of Les Skyraiders Francais, Amazon have one for sale at a mere £398.95!  I'm off to look for some spare change down the back of the sofa!

I know the AD-4 didn't originally have armour, that modification coming later in the Skyraider's life, but once developed, there's no reason why it couldn't be retro-fitted to earlier aircraft.

I guess I'm going to have to pore over more photos.

8 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Martin that was my understanding too, guess that I had given for granted the notion that armour was introduced on the AD-6 so automatically assumed that the AD-4 didn't use it. However after reading the Airfan special and checking as many pictures as possible I'm now leaning towards the idea that they had armour. The story of armour on Skyraiders seem to be less simple than we thought

Hi  Giorgio! The other dilemma when building a French AD-4 is the variety of aerial and antenna arrangements. For example, a few had a long pitot-like tube protruding from the front and top of the fin, USN style. Many didn't have that. Then there was a range of cable antenna arrangements. The best to do is get an image of what you want to model and go only for that set up. 

I still don't think they had armour.

Martin 

PS: I corresponded with Jacques Borne's son when I was building my Gabonese Skyraider. He was very generous with images to help me. :)

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wez said:

Giorgio, many thanks for those links, I'd already bookmarked one of them but it doesn't hurt to have plenty more references.

Martin, thanks for making me aware of Les Skyraiders Francais, Amazon have one for sale at a mere £398.95!  I'm off to look for some spare change down the back of the sofa!

I know the AD-4 didn't originally have armour, that modification coming later in the Skyraider's life, but once developed, there's no reason why it couldn't be retro-fitted to earlier aircraft.

I guess I'm going to have to pore over more photos.

Hi Wez! That one is printed on gold leaf I reckon ;). It is normally around 45-50 euros. As I said, it is priced but it's a great book. 

Good of luck with the AD-4. One of my favourites. :).

I just checked my book and certainly they had armour around the cockpit. 

Martin

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Wez! That one is printed on gold leaf I reckon ;). It is normally around 45-50 euros. As I said, it is priced but it's a great book. 

Good of luck with the AD-4. One of my favourites. :).

I just checked my book and certainly they had armour around the cockpit. 

Martin

Fortunately Antoine has put me onto a source that comes in at less than a tenth of the price it is on Amazon!

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi again Wez,

this is was my attempt at a French Skyraider.

Martin

Nice Skyraider Martin, I hope mine looks as good when the time comes, I've got the Hasegawa and the Hobbycraft kits to choose from.

Regarding the main underwing pylons, I notice you modified the kit's to the earlier shape, are the later ones the same width as the earlier ones?  It's always something I've wondered about.

Thanks.  Go with the Hasegawa. Although the Hobbycraft has the correct fuselage, doesnt it?

for the pylons i simply used the kit items reshaped according to a 1/72 drawing. No change in thickness. Does that help? The tanks are from a F4U and the centreline is from a F-84G tip tank. I sanded smooth and added the seams with Plastruct rod.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Hi Wez

Try these Books

Lela Presse

Les Skyraiders Francais (Douglas A-1 Skyraider in French Air Force Service)

ISBN:  9782914017657

This is a good book its one of the above

Also

ALLIED WINGS

Douglas Skyraider In French Service

The Paperback

Michel Fournier

ISBN-10: 2953254498

ISBN-13: 978-2953254495

Hope this helps

Paul

4 hours ago, PaulT 876 said:

Hope this helps

Paul

Paul, thanks.

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks.  Go with the Hasegawa. Although the Hobbycraft has the correct fuselage, doesnt it?

for the pylons i simply used the kit items reshaped according to a 1/72 drawing. No change in thickness. Does that help? The tanks are from a F4U and the centreline is from a F-84G tip tank. I sanded smooth and added the seams with Plastruct rod.

Martin

Very helpful thanks.

4 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Nice looking model Martin !

Yes, antenna fit seems to have varied, don't know if this depended on the version of the aircraft or changed over time or what, I may have to read my book in more depth

I wouldn't be surprised if the radio fits were changed to suit the circumstances, it just means I'll have to make sure I'm looking at photos of the aircraft I'm modelling.

6 hours ago, PaulT 876 said:

Les Skyraiders Francais

Well, I've just ordered this from Lela-Presse/Avions-Bateaux, just need to sit back and wait for it to arrive!

I must say they have some interesting books that I wouldn't mind, I'd just have to divert some of the kit budget to a book budget!

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Excellent, Wez. You won't regret it.  I agree, they have some very interesting and attractive books on that site. Good luck with the build!

Martin

Thanks, unfortunately the build won't be for some time, no time free right now due to studying for a BEng but hopefully in the foreseeable future!

In the meantime I can dip in and out of the book to find out what I need to know.

There is a lot to “read” ( okay if you can tead French). The photos and images are excellent, though. Good luck with all.

i have a similar delay situation with four in part build - Invader, F-47, MIG-21UM and MIG-15UTI..... too much work and my work pattern has changed :(.

all my best,

Martin 

• 5 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

hi Wez, Did you like the book?

Martin

Hi Martin,

I too busy with studying at the moment to do anything more than skim through it but what I've seen I like.  Lots and I mean lots of very useful pictures!

My intention is to take it on holiday with me in the summer, do some translation and make some notes - I can't wait for the summer.

Definitely a good recommendation though, thanks.

On 11/01/2018 at 10:32 AM, RidgeRunner said:

i have a similar delay situation with four in part build - Invader, F-47, MIG-21UM and MIG-15UTI.....

Obviously, you need some Hagedorn's books. :)

13 minutes ago, Wez said:

My intention is to take it on holiday with me in the summer, do some translation and make some notes - I can't wait for the summer.

You mean you'll try to invade France once again?