Wotcher!

Billy T. Pilgrim

Hello hello hello!

Billy Pilgrim here, AKA Tom. I'm based in Sheffield and have got back into the hobby fairly recently after a long break since childhood. I've primarily built WWII era planes in the past, but I'm game for everything. I'm a huge pop culture junkie, and will very often bring elements of that into my modelmaking. It's rare I'll build anything even remotely historically accurate - although I enjoy the challenge of accuracy from time to time, I love working on interesting and creative paint jobs, personal mods and kitbashing. Likewise, I'll often exaggerate some processes like weathering and shadowing to give a heightened sense to my models.

Skill level, I guess I'm still learning - well, I know we're all still learning, but I see some of the stuff here and I'm just blown away :-) I'm bloody awful at hand painting details, and I'm only just getting the hang of good surface finishing techniques. I'm pleased with some of the work I do though, and I improve with each kit I do (I hope). I always say that there's no point comparing yourself to the best in your field, that's discouraging. Compare yourself to the people just a little better than you. That's a level you can shoot for on the very next kit you do.

So, what's on the bench at the moment? Well, my ongoing project is to do a 1/48 WWII era aircraft chosen, painted and modded to personally represent each of the main characters from the Mass Effect video game series, and I'll be posting the three planes I've completed from that series in the relevant forum soon. I've also just finished my first ever diorama, a little post-apocalyptic scene with a Jeep, as a Christmas present for my girlfriend and I'll show you that.

My current main WIP is Tamiya's 1/48 Mosquito, the night fighter version, which is going to be resplendent in a dazzling metallic blue and silver scheme. I'm recording that for my (currently rather empty and neglected) Youtube channel, Billy Pilgrim Builds Stuff. On the shelf at the moment are Tamiya's Fw190A-8 and Corsair, a half finished King Tiger (another present, this one black with a pink flame job), Eduard's Bf109G and S.E.5a and probably a few others I've forgotten. Oh, and the longer term project is the old Revell/Monogram B-17G, which will represent the main ship, the SSV Normandy, in my Mass Effect project. I'm waiting until I've sharpened my skills a bit more to start that though, also to get the necessary parts to aftermarket the heck out of it.

Anyway, that's me. Great to be a part of this community!

Edited by Billy T. Pilgrim
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...