If you're one of the gradually reducing number of folks that aren't currently receiving notifications to topics you've subscribed to, or PMs you're receiving, first check you've got the correct address in your profile, then drop in and post your experience in this thread, remembering to tell us your email provider's details, which is the part after the @ in your email address.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Foghorn Leghorn

Heller 72nd Sherman M4

Not much to be seen since last time but the tank had a coat Tamiya khaki drab and it didn't make a huge difference to the olive drab first coat.

It was also a bit too brown in tint so then I sprayed Tamiya Dark Green 2 (RAF) and that didn't make it light enough. After that I added some Tamiya buff to the RAF green and sprayed that. Not sure it's light enough for my needs but it'll do. This time i've included a right hand side pic of the turret showing where the cheek armour sits.

m416.jpg

m417.jpg

m418.jpg

Also started painting up the tools. I gave the sprue a spray can of black and started painting the handles. This reminds me why I don't do 72nd anymore, these things are tiny little boggers!

m419.jpg

Next step will be a gloss coat and then I've got to decide how to break up the monotony of the finish. As I've said before, this is where I come unstuck wth green armour so I'll leave it alone for a few days to hatch a plan.

Perhaps your base colour was a bit too dark?  :shrug:

For my base coat over a black primer in 1/72, I lighten OD 60/40 with Dark Yellow/Buff, using more Sand for a fresher colour or more Buff for a faded look.  I then lighten this at least twice more for highlighting. 

I reckon once you get some Klear & some pin-washes on it the colours should 'pop' just fine.  :coolio:

31 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Perhaps your base colour was a bit too dark?  :shrug:

For my base coat over a black primer in 1/72, I lighten OD 60/40 with Dark Yellow/Buff, using more Sand for a fresher colour or more Buff for a faded look.  I then lighten this at least twice more for highlighting.

Thanx

I use Tamiya OD for base rather than black but I'll bear the 6/40 ratio in mind for the future. The current paint finish is lighter IRL than in the pic, due to using my phone as a camera. And the turret bears no resemblance to real life at all, I think it was the angle and the lighting at the time that made it look so dark, even the tint is wrong, it's more OD thatn the pic

But in the future I really need to push the lighten overspray limit, I always err on the side of caution and not go too dark. Which is a bit silly as you can always make it darker with filters etc.

ATM my plan is to lighten with oil paints, not oil dotting but actually painting with oils. Could be interesting. :rolleyes:

It really  is a super little model it's scale isn't apparent in those photos,  cracking job

Glynn 

The trick with the highlighting is to mist it on in soft random clouds (concentrated somewhat on the centre of panels or surfaces and raised details).....You can use quite dramatic shades but the clouds need to dissipate into the base as seamlessly as possible. 

17 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Which is a bit silly as you can always make it darker with filters etc.

You just hit the nail square on the head!  :coolio:

17 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

ATM my plan is to lighten with oil paints, not oil dotting but actually painting with oils. Could be interesting. :rolleyes:

I've highlighted with oils before.....It works but it's time consuming.  :sleeping:

You could as easily try shooting highlights on what you have without fear IMHO, just go real soft on the application and let it build up gently (as ever practice on the paint mule if you are unsure).  :shrug:

FWIW

11 minutes ago, Hewy said:

It really  is a super little model it's scale isn't apparent in those photos,  cracking job

This is the kit Airfix should have made instead of their most recent 1/76 releases, they'd have sold more in total, made much more money and we'd all love them again.....But would they listen?  :wall:

Heller will sell bazillions of these.  :mellow:

7 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The trick with the highlighting is to mist it on in soft random clouds (concentrated somewhat on the centre of panels or surfaces and raised details).....You can use quite dramatic shades but the clouds need to dissipate into the base as seamlessly as possible. 

You just hit the nail square on the head!  :coolio:

I've highlighted with oils before.....It works but it's time consuming.  :sleeping:

You could as easily try shooting highlights on what you have without fear IMHO, just go real soft on the application and let it build up gently (as ever practice on the paint mule if you are unsure).  :shrug:

FWIW

This is the kit Airfix should have made instead of their last three 1/76 releases, they'd have sold more in total, made much more money and we'd all love them again.....But would they listen?  :wall:

I bought a1/72 airfix sherman about twelve months ago only to use the parts for casting greeblies on a 1/48 scale millennium falcon project(that I'm converting from the hasbro toy) and judging  it against this kit it gets completly blown away, maybe airfix should beg for these moulds