Weathering a RLM 76 finish?

Neil.C

Well I've finished my Revell Focke Wulf such as it is  and have painted it all over in a sky blue Vallejo matt finish (RLM76) and now it looks like a lump of blandness. 

I don't really have anything available except a box of Humbrol paints so are there any easy tricks I can do to just break up the colour without spending money on more stuff?

I think I recall someone doing something with a pencil (ooh matron!) to delineate the lines etc.

Any help would be great. 

Neil

If you gave a few more clues - which Focke Wulf, which painting guide did you follow etc - you might get more help. For example the exhaust stains on a/c vary depending on where the exhaust comes out - look at pictures of a USN Skyraider for example.

When I started dirtying up my models I used a tin lid and a few drops of white spirit in with a tiny dab of brown paint - ran it along a few panel lines then wiped with a kitchen towel in the direction of airflow.

Two key points - look at pictures of the a/c you are modelling and start very very gently as you see beautiful models ruined by excessive weathering. It's an art I certainly haven't mastered.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LotusArenco said:

Have a butchers’ through this lads’ Youtube stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/user/quickkits/videos

I am deeply impressed with some of the finishes he achieves with the most basic of tools/paints.

Mart

Thanks for that.

Certainly an eye opener there. Some really interesting vids. 

A very fine pencil down the panel lines usually does the trick. You can also make your own weathering powders by sanding coloured pencils, then rub on with a cotton bud or a bit of tissue paper. 

I usually use  a pencil for panel lines and ground up brown, black pastels and ground up 2b pencil lead for exhaust stains. Using a brush to apply the exhaust stains. By using a mix of the 3 you can vary the colour. 

12 minutes ago, Vlad said:

A very fine pencil down the panel lines usually does the trick. You can also make your own weathering powders by sanding coloured pencils, then rub on with a cotton bud or a bit of tissue paper. 

That's exactly what I have done having gleaned the info from the vids that LotusArenco linked to above.

Once I get the decals on I'll post it up for the general amusement of the members. ;)

Hi, Neil.C,

From your tale I assume that you used no preshade.

The first step to remove blandness, therefore, should be a postshade, in the same Vallejo colour mixed up with some White. Thin it a bit more than usual and airbrush it "mottle fashion" in random patterns (or, if you prefer, avoiding the panel lines). This mimicks the wear and decoloration of the paint, previous to any "dirtying".

Then you could go for dark washes, exhaust fumes and any "dirt" effect.

In such a light colour, a pencil on the panel lines is effective, though it can render an artificial look (too even)

Fernando