Dassault Mystere IV PK-47 - Complete

John

I'll put this here as a placeholder. If time permits I'll dig this out of deep storage. I know I've got one but I can't remember if it's a Matchbox or Revell boxing. I got it to go along with the Heller PdF set a few years ago.

John

• Like 2

Wey hey, it's that Matchbox boxing:

39637316651_3ea922349c_b.jpgMIVA1 by John Walker, on Flickr

However, in spite of the seductive promise that it's moulded in 2 colours:

39637316831_677bf91145_k.jpgMIVA3 by John Walker, on Flickr

It is in fact only in one, vintage Airfix silver:

38929031164_f87abea27f_b.jpgMIVA4 by John Walker, on Flickr

The decal sheet confirms that this is a Revell product:

39607634282_55b23b152b_b.jpgMIVA5 by John Walker, on Flickr

Colour scheme options:

39607634502_1caa5b9c37_b.jpgMIVA2 by John Walker, on Flickr

I think the Israeli one should be dark sand and dark blue. 

It's a nice simple kit, shouldn't take too long OOB. No stand, but I'm sure that can be rectified.

Is this a Revell produced Matchbox kit, or did I buy a ringer?

John

Thanks. I knew it was the Matchbox mould, I just wondered if it was the plastic from the later Revell boxing in a Matchbox box.

I any event, I said it would be OOB until I realised there was no driver. I rescued a pilot from an Airfix Red Arrows Hawk to stand service. He's had a coat of 130 Satin White to tone down the red plastic:

38946061994_63afcde171.jpgMIVA6 by John Walker, on Flickr

39655064501_f7984df287_z.jpgMIVA7 by John Walker, on Flickr

That's the sum total of detailing I propose to do. The rest of the cockpit is simply matt black:

24785804567_be6eb30000_h.jpgMIVA8 by John Walker, on Flickr

It's a substantial moulding for a small aircraft, and shouldn't take too long to build. The colour and weight of the plastic makes it look like a late 1960s/1970s Airfix kit.

Israeli colours, I think.

John

• Like 5

The Mystere is a much larger and more substantial aircraft than I realised, and subsequently the model is bigger too:

39690443541_4c2b775afc_b.jpgMIVA9 by John Walker, on Flickr

38792841145_4a7d8f10ac_b.jpgMIVA10 by John Walker, on Flickr

The silver plastic is exceptionally shiny which is making sorting out the joins a bit more problematic. Fit is better than the He70 but not as good as the Zero.

Like the Zero it isn't designed to be built wheels-up so there has had to be a bit of added plastic and filler especially around the nosewheel door.

John

• Like 2

It's been a major operation in filling and making good to get to here. The upper surface was given a coat of Humbrol 93 to better show up areas that needed attention which were mostly dealt with using Games Workshop Liquid Green Stuff. I like this filler as it's water soluble and you can smooth it off once it has dried with a cloth dampened with Tamiya acrylic thinner. You can also use the Tamiya thinner to thin down the filler to varying degrees for finer work:

39731832751_0c25e6b277_h.jpgMIVA11 by John Walker, on Flickr

The starboard wing root needed a piece of Microstrip let in to the underside:

25859908818_4d629e06d3_b.jpgMIVA12 by John Walker, on Flickr

I also finished the nosewheel door with Liquid Green Stuff.

Next up is a coat of paint.

John

• Like 3

Beginning to come together.

Back in the dim and distant, when Heller released their Ouragan with Israeli markings, the suggested Humbrol colours for the Blue/Sand scheme in the modelling press were Humbrol 77 and 26. I couldn't find any 77 in my paint cabinet so I used 15 Midnight Blue instead:

39785437762_bc701a1b6a_h.jpgMIVA13 by John Walker, on Flickr

15 is, of course, very glossy so an initial coat of Humbrol Matt Cote has been applied to even everything out. I'm happy with the result, although a bit of tidying up and another matt topcoat will be needed after the markings are applied. 

The underside is Humbrol 87 Steel Grey, which has long been my general purpose covers-everything light grey of choice.

John

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Completed and in the Gallery.

Final thoughts - if I hadn't been building the He70 at the same time I would say that this is comfortably the worst-fitting Matchbox kit I've ever come across. It's certainly the only one I've had to use Microstrip on to fill a wing root gap.

I'd have to want a Mystère IVa really badly to build another one. Scrubs up nicely though.

John