Firefly Mk. IV cockpit questions

Creepy Pete

Hi,

I am currently working on the 1/48 Special Hobby Fairey Firefly Mk.4/5 kit, and I have some questions about the cockpit. I should add that I am building it as a Dutch Navy one. Not strictly a WW2 subject, I know, but somehow it seemed more fitting to ask it here anyway.

First of all, I've read somewhere that from the Mk.4 up, the cockpits were painted black, and no longer the interior grey/green colour. Is this correct?

Second, I assume the flare pistol should be a brass colour with a wooden handle, is this correct? (TBH no idea if the Dutch Navy even used them, but it comes with the kit, so might as well use it). And what about the tubes next to it? Are these the flares themselves? Or are they tubes in which the flares were stored? Which colour would they have been? All photo's I find of Firefly cockpits have these removed.

And third, I've read somewhere that the provided gun sight is incorrect for later Fireflies, it should be a gyro type. What do these look like? (I know I can google for this, but since I was asking stuff I figured I might as well ask about this too :smile:)

Thanks in advance!

this a @NAVY870  question.

here's his review of the SH kit on Aussie Modeller

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/pages/Reviews/acft kit/Long_SHFireflyMkV.html

Which covers cockpit colours, and the gunsight,  

which is a Mk.4B gyro gun sight

google image will turn up lots of pics,  I was used in other types, eg late war Spitfires,  so there maybe a AM one available

This is a WW2 era British flare pistol,  well, that's what the caption says

wm_4549191.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

this a @NAVY870  question.

here's his review of the SH kit on Aussie Modeller

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/pages/Reviews/acft kit/Long_SHFireflyMkV.html

Which covers cockpit colours, and the gunsight,  

which is a Mk.4B gyro gun sight

google image will turn up lots of pics,  I was used in other types, eg late war Spitfires,  so there maybe a AM one available

This is a WW2 era British flare pistol,  well, that's what the caption says

wm_4549191.jpg

Great photos, Troy. That's a "Very" nice pistol! (Yes, I know- I'm one sick puppy!)

Mike

• Haha 1

"My" Mark 5 is black in both cockpits, I'd be pretty sure a 4 would be the same.

The Quickboost gunsights are fine

The cockpit for the SH 5 is a bit off as they recycled a lot of arts from the earlier Mark 1 kit.

The two of them are actually quite different especially on the starboard side.

This is a short fillum of me powering up VX.388 after I'd restored the leccy bits

Edited by NAVY870
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1