1/48 P-47 cowling lower lip question

Spitfires Forever

Hello and Happy New Year to all!

i have been threatening to build a T-Bolt as my first aircraft of 2018 and upon inspection of various kit offerings it has become appearent that the shape of the lower lip or portion leading up too the intake on various cowling are different. In comparison between the Academy, Araii, old Testors/Hawk (the least accurate IMHO), Hasegawa, old Monogram, and Tamiya offerings I find the lower portion/lip is either too pronounced as in the old Testors kit, or not offering enough upper thrust as in the old Monogram kit. I am not adept enough to post pics and do comparisons like has been done for the Spit Mk 9 for instance. I guess my question is......has anybody noticed the differences as I have? Which of the manufacturers is most accurate? It's not a big deal but when kits are displayed next to each other then the differences become more pronounced. Anyway, I am curious to see your thoughts.

Cheers

SA

Edited by Spitfires Forever

I'm guessing you are talking about 1/48 scale, and I have built all but the Tamiya kit, but so long ago I really can't say with certainty which one was the most accurate- plus in those days I just built 'em and didn't research 'em. Hopefully somebody who has experience with the kits can help, but I have attached some links to some detail photos of the real article that might be of use. Good luck!

Mike

http://www.lynceans.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/P-47-no-engine-cowling.png

https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/p-47d-thunderbolt-walkaround/

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/p-47d_thunderbolt/images/p-47d_thunderbolt_11_of_20.jpg

http://www.arcair.com/awa01/001-100/awa057-P-47M/images_Andrew_Worstencroft/11_P47D-N_Underside_Ducting_detail.jpg

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/p-47/images/nasm_p-47d_06.jpg

5 hours ago, Spitfire addict said:

Hello and Happy New Year to all!

i have been threatening to build a T-Bolt as my first aircraft of 2018 and upon inspection of various kit offerings it has become appearent that the shape of the lower lip or portion leading up too the intake on various cowling are different. In comparison between the Academy, Araii, old Testors/Hawk (the least accurate IMHO), Hasegawa, old Monogram, and Tamiya offerings I find the lower portion/lip is either too pronounced as in the old Testors kit, or not offering enough upper thrust as in the old Monogram kit. I am not adept enough to post pics and do comparisons like has been done for the Spit Mk 9 for instance. I guess my question is......has anybody noticed the differences as I have? Which of the manufacturers is most accurate? It's not a big deal but when kits are displayed next to each other then the differences become more pronounced. Anyway, I am curious to see your thoughts.

Cheers

SA

Just build the Tamiya. You won't regret it, and to me it looks very close to photos, especially the last link that 72modeler posted above. In any case, you'll be hard pressed to find a better engineered 1/48 prop fighter kit, and it's far and away the best 1/48 P-47 out there.

The Tamiya  P-47 is by far the best Jug in 1/48 you will not be disappointed, and they did the best job representing the area you are asking about. I get all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it.....:bear:

• Haha 1

Ive built all of them Tamiya, Hasegawa, Monogram, Arii, & Testors. My ranking in order would be as follows. 

1: Tamiya

2: Hasegawa

3: Monogram

4: Arii

5: Testors

If you're concerned with cost i’d stick with the Hasegawa or look for the Monogram. Tamiya is best but you pay for that and its really only a little better than the Hasegawa P-47. If cost isn't an issue then go with Tamiya. If you opt for the Arii kit get yourself a better prop and pit at the very least. The monograms biggest fault is the pit and raised panel lines. Both are easily dealt with. You dont have to rescribe either. Ive built a lot of Monogram kits over the years (actually I prefer them). Just wet sand the surface down really good till the lines are almost nonexistent and you’ll be ok. 

Dennis

SA,

If you decide to build either of the Monogram P-47's, I seem to recall that the bubbletop was the first release- later on, the molds were reworked to produce the razorback; I also vaguely remember reading about both kits in Burt Kinzey's Detail In Scale on the P-47 that the wing on the bubbletop kit was six scale inches too far back, but this was corrected when they reworked the molds to make the razorback. Not a deal breaker, along with the incorrect alignment of the guns, and IIRC a trim tab issue. The DIS has some very good reviews of all of the kits that were available at the time of publication, and you can probably find a copy at a reasonable price. I also found a link to the Internet Modeler site that reviewed many of the then available 1/48 kits, so I have listed it below- maybe it will help you?

Mike

http://www.internetmodeler.com/1999/july/aviation/p47.htm

The Tamiya P-47D bubbletop and razorback are two of the very few 1/48  kits that I have and they are incredible models, as the others have stated- not having really given them the dreaded Mk 1a eyeball yet, as neither is in my "build" queue, so I can't answer your cowling lip question, but they look to be spot-on and are regarded as the best in the scale. I'd also agree with my fellow styrene warriors and say go with Tamiya then Hasegawa. You can get the Tamiya kit at a very reasonable price from Hobbylink Japan- no, I don't have any connection with them, nor am I compensated in any way for mentioning them. (disclaimers, disclaimers!)

Mike

http://www.internetmodeler.com/1999/july/aviation/p47.htm 

• Like 1

Thanks gentlemen

i had read a review on the Monogram/Revell P-47 and the aforementioned problems were mentioned as well as a need to dared the lower lip, too straight, but a little sanding takes care of that. I have two Tamiya kits (forgot to mention all kits that are compared are indeed 1/48.) At the Plans of Fame museum there is a model kit display of about 25 built and nicely painted 1/48 T-Bolts behind glass both bubble and razorback. Just by looking at them I could tell the manufacturer, and it was interesting finding the differences in detail. I looked especially at the cowling on each model, and other less significant details, and had found that the Tamiya kits were clearly the winner all the way around, followed by the Hasegawa (I found the detail to be a little soft in comparison), then the Academy kit (not bad, but I would get a Falcon replacement, the bubble canopy is a little fat in comparison to the Tamiya and Hasegawa version) then the Monogram razorback (the wings on the bubble top are too far back, (I wondered why it seemed a little funny), followed by the Arii and old Testors kit (with the exception of the cowling doesn't look too bad shape-wise.) Anyway, that is my take on it but I just wondered if anybody else had the same or different take on this whole thing. As for the Tamiya P-47? I would have to say that of all the kit reviews out there the Tamiya P-47's have received the highest praise of any kits I have read about. Now, if only Tamiya will quit making kits that are already made by numerous manufacturers i.e. the Sturmovik, Hurricane just to mention a few and get around to making....oh let's say......a nice Spit Mk14?

Cheers

2 hours ago, Spitfire addict said:

Thanks gentlemen

i had read a review on the Monogram/Revell P-47 and the aforementioned problems were mentioned as well as a need to dared the lower lip, too straight, but a little sanding takes care of that. I have two Tamiya kits (forgot to mention all kits that are compared are indeed 1/48.) At the Plans of Fame museum there is a model kit display of about 25 built and nicely painted 1/48 T-Bolts behind glass both bubble and razorback. Just by looking at them I could tell the manufacturer, and it was interesting finding the differences in detail. I looked especially at the cowling on each model, and other less significant details, and had found that the Tamiya kits were clearly the winner all the way around, followed by the Hasegawa (I found the detail to be a little soft in comparison), then the Academy kit (not bad, but I would get a Falcon replacement, the bubble canopy is a little fat in comparison to the Tamiya and Hasegawa version) then the Monogram razorback (the wings on the bubble top are too far back, (I wondered why it seemed a little funny), followed by the Arii and old Testors kit (with the exception of the cowling doesn't look too bad shape-wise.) Anyway, that is my take on it but I just wondered if anybody else had the same or different take on this whole thing. As for the Tamiya P-47? I would have to say that of all the kit reviews out there the Tamiya P-47's have received the highest praise of any kits I have read about. Now, if only Tamiya will quit making kits that are already made by numerous manufacturers i.e. the Sturmovik, Hurricane just to mention a few and get around to making....oh let's say......a nice Spit Mk14?

Cheers

Tamiya's Hurricane isn't really Tamiya's -- it's a rebox of the Italeri kit. I'd guess that if there's any remaining hope for a good, new Spitfire XIV, it probably rests in the hands of Airfix or Eduard.

• Like 1