Opel GT, 1/25, AMT (Round 2)

I've wanted one of these for a while, but they've always seemed rather expensive. But for £17 at Scale Model World, how could I resist? It's such a cool-looking car, even if the performance wasn't so hot. It's only when you get it in the display cabinet that you realise how small it is compared to say, a Miura or Daytona... The kit comes with three engine options, but I wanted to use the Opel straight-4 as in the real thing.

gt-low-front-left-quarter-her0-2.jpg

gt-low-front-right-quarter.jpg

gt-low-right-rear.jpg

gt-low-rear-left-quarter-aggressive.jpg

gt-low-front-left-view.jpg

gt-left-profile.jpg

gt-high-rear-left-quarter.jpg

high-front-left.jpg

gt-very-high-left-bonnet-open.jpg

gt-high-front-right-bonnet-open.jpg

gt-left-side-front-hero.jpg

Paintwork is a Zero 2K "Giallo Fly" intended for Ferraris, but also good for 80s Lancias, and close enough for this baby. There are a bunch of pimping options, with different hoods, suspension, roll cage, grille, wheels and tyres, but I think it looks pretty good made the way nature intended. I opened out thenose vents, and followed Harry P's suggestions for the tail lights, which as moulded are too big and in the wrong place. These are the kit parts in coloured red plastic, sawn off, and placed on a filled and smoothed rear panel, surrounded using 7mm "slip rings" from the jewellery aisle at the local Hobbycraft.

It's not a £40 kit, but for £17, it's a steal...

best,

M.

• Like 15

Really nice, I've never seen one of these made before, that's a good tip about the slip rings, it's a shame the kits not cheaper as I'd buy it just for the 1/25 rostyles 😁

Andy.

Edited by ElectricLightAndy

For a while a couple of years back, I used to pass one of these parked up, but obviously used (it wasn't always there...) between Yate near Bristol and North Bristol.

It was a very similar yellow.

I must admit that I wasn't aware that there existed a 1/25th model of this little beauty. I want one!!!

AMT did do some more unusual European car kits: Sunbeam Alpine, VW Sirocco, and so on.

Maybe I'll look out for this one.

Cheers, Alan.

Thanks very much, all.... I can highly recommend the kit, especially if you can find it for less than £20! I have some build photos which got lost in the rus to TRY to finish it by Dec 31st. I'll post them up next weekend...

best,

M.

• 1 month later...

It's a nice looking car, the yellow works well. Citrus seams to be theme as I've seen them in bight orange and green too. Revell recently released their 1/32 version but the wheels are just about unusable do to not be moulded with a slot for a plastic insert. I had to epoxy them on to allow my daughter to complete here build.