'Sicilian' Revell Ju88 A-4 in 1/48

And - finally tackled getting some big bits together... Took a few rubber bands to get the joins at the rear of the wings lined up. Glued left side first, then the right once the left was fixed... There's going to be some filling to do along the horizontal seam on the nose too... Might try to splice in some plasticard strip rather than using filler to avoid too much sanding along the clear parts... 

The seam along the top of the fuselage took a few rounds of sanding and filling, but getting there! 

Thanks,

Bruce

8XK3dTB.jpg

P9tnXsp.jpg

• Like 3

I just caught up and great work so far. The round recess on the spine is for the Peil G6 radio direction finder.

Regarding the bomb colours, this depended on the size of the bomb and there were marking added on the rear cone to indicate the type. Start here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/48541-bomb-colours/ 

1 hour ago, Crimea River said:

I just caught up and great work so far. The round recess on the spine is for the Peil G6 radio direction finder.

Regarding the bomb colours, this depended on the size of the bomb and there were marking added on the rear cone to indicate the type. Start here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/48541-bomb-colours/ 

Fantastic help thanks so much!

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:42 PM, bruce bay said:

I hope I do it justice! Thanks,

So far so good!!! :-)

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:42 PM, bruce bay said:

I hope I do it justice! Thanks,

So far so good!!! :-)

Update time - I got the engines sorted, was quite a battle getting the nacelles closed over the engines and bulkheads... I very much suspect that was my fault. While I followed all instructions I didn't do enough dry-fitting along the way I think. Anyway - they came together albeit via being glued in stages then filled and sanded a few times. 

XL7vGkT.jpg

I decided only one engine will be open up for viewing. I added some detailing to the access panels using some spare styrene strips. This is 100% made up... but I think once weathered and dry brushed should add a bit of life to the area. 

b0cRyMv.jpg

iHtRtPs.jpg

slsRTV2.jpg

As I feared it all got a bit trickier when the big bits went together. I love doing cockpits, engines, landing gear - but find major assemblies rather scary. 

RI77b2H.jpg

The canopy was a great fit all round, with only a little filler to be used on the front left side.

Attaching the engine nacelles was however quite hard - eventually they went on, but as the landing gear go down first it's hard to work around them. The nacelles essentially clip onto the under wing, but it takes quite some pushing and shoving. 

There were pretty big gaps at the top of the wing where the wing surface meets the nacelle - on both sides there was a 2mm plus gap. I filled this with styrene first. Once that's dry some filler will go down on top - and then there's a whole lot of sanding ahead! 

GyNmD5a.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Bruce

• Like 3

A few steps forward, and a few back... Did some sanding and filling on the nacelles.

20Xd9qU.jpg

Then - while popping the clear part into place the dorsal panel gave way and cracked... :( 

FFKz8U7.jpg

I cut down the alternative part - as it's moulded to be fitted from within - and then glued a piece of wire into a small hole so that I could pull it upward if needed once in place... 

FQ1lItn.jpg

Getting close to a full last primer coat before some colours go down....

LQpjXn4.jpg

• Like 4

Well... It's starting to look like a Ju88 at least! 

I got the last layer of primer down last night, and as I was working from home decided to push ahead with the base camo. All the top surfaces were sprayed with Tamiya TS-2 DARK GREEN, and once the masking was done a light layer of Tamiya TS-78 FIELD GREY went onto the exposed areas... 

I imagine everyone here's seen enough masking for splinter paterns, so spared those watching that bit of the process. 

I also swapped in the upper rear canopy part at this stage. I wanted to keep that free as long as possible to avoid knocking the guns about while masking and weathering... So we have now moved onto the (in my opinion) more classic 'bug-eyed' canopy option. The previous part I was effectively using as a mask to keep paint off the interior. 

Next up will be painting on the splodges of pale grey-blue and sand-earth.... depending which references you go for. Still not sure whether to opt for a soft edge on these using blutac, or a hard edge with tape masks, or maybe even to brush paint them on.... We will see.

Thanks for looking,

Bruce

qa3216g.jpg

JgvQDON.jpg

WEDzqs6.jpg

szGmNzL.jpg

• Like 2

And - at the close of today's Ju88 action. First layer of splodges are down... Used Belton Molotow cans for this colour. It's less matte than the tamiya, but all of that should be leveled out when the satin varnish is brushed on at the end! 

To be followed by the pale grey/blue ones, and then likely a few more, smaller, more intricate sand-y ones... 

emftgio.jpg

g5XyBFb.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, J.P. said:

Paint work looks great, did I understand you're going to brush your final coat??? Also, interesting display base you got there too. :-)

Hhaha - didn't even think about that base! 

Yes, I don't yet have an airbrush... So - yes. I usually would put down all the paint layers, then brush on some future. After that I would then do a pin wash, and maybe some oil filters on panels to lighten them, and darken joins / lines etc... Then put down decals, and finally do a brushed layer of Vallejo satin varnish once that's all dry. Then last weathering with pigments, dust etc... It's far from ideal, but works.

Or rather, it works sort of, most of the time... 

And - the pale blue is down. These Belton cans have a great range of colours, but come out thick and slow... Really not ideal at all. That said, I am fairly happy. 

Once the blue had dried I then mixed Vallejo paints to as close as I could get to the dark and paler green under colours and started the heavier chipping and wear of the top coat camo... This broke it up a bit, and will blend in a bit better with a pin-wash and some oil paint work.... On the way! 

PgrckBb.jpg

• Like 2

Bit of an update here. Once all the colours had fully dried, I did a light panel wash with thinned black/brown oil paint. 

I then started using pure oil paint to create lighter versions of the plane's base colours. It's fairly repetetive, so I only took photos of the first round, which was making a pale sand yellow colour, which was then thinly stippled onto the middle of sand panels. 

3nXoNew.jpg

This was then blurred in with a soft brush. Here I find it's helpful to have the dark oil pin wash still a bit wet, as it effectively stops the pale shade spreading from panel to panel. Like a little dark-tone moat! 

Here it is a bit more worked in....

KosEsPr.jpg

This was repeated for the greens also. 

The guns I snapped off (of course) over the painting process were replaced. The stumps cut flat, then spares cut to correct angles and glued on from the outside. 

Sadly I had to snip off the prop attachment points, as it became clear to me that in spite of my best efforts the engines were not lined up straight inside the nacelles! Not sure why, but they look OK from through the access panels, and I don't think anyone will know better once the props and spinners are on! 

This leaves the Ju88 at the below stage. I will leave the oil to dry a few days, then put decals down, and weather those before brushing on a layer of Vallejo satin varnish, which should take the shine off the pale blue... Which, as one  can see, came out of the Belton can inexplicably high-gloss. 

7vneoLJ.jpg

sWSwsZM.jpg

2fki7f2.jpg

GYasEoQ.jpg

Thanks for looking! 

Bruce

• Like 8

Calling this one done now. No hiccups toward the end. Thanks for all the comments along the way. Moving it over to a RFI. 

I can't wait to build something with only one engine now - underestimated how big a job this would be! 

Bruce

eC8uHD0.jpg

• Like 8