'Sicilian' Revell Ju88 A-4 in 1/48

Hi all, happy new years!

Got myself a Christmas gift! Revell's 1/48 Ju88. Finally got started today - after a bit of procrastination. I plan to finish this in a 4-tone camo pattern I first saw beautifully done here: 

http://imodeler.com/2012/12/148-dragon-junkers-ju-88a4/

I don't know much at all about the scheme - except that it's apparently an aircraft from Stab II/KG 77, Sicily. I just love the splodged paint over the standard splinter scheme. I haven't found many photos of this - and the only ones don't show the wings... I will assume the over-paint was extended onto the wings too for the sake of this build. Anyway - never tried a 4-tone paint job before, so should be interesting.  

Once I delved into the HUGE box, the actual sprues and parts count was a little less intimidating. To my - far from expert - eye, it looks a nicely done kit. Lots of detail inside and out, engines, bombs, and nice surface details. I will be making this kit largely out of the box using rattle-cans and brushes, and while decal sheets for the Stab II/KG 77 aircraft do exist - at present I plan to recreate using spares and the kit sheet... 

As usual I will be making this mainly for the fun of it. I am not much of a rivet-counter, or a deep researcher, which I concede might drive others here mad with irritation. So forgive me if I paint something red that shouldn't be! 

So - it begins: 

As usual - started with the cockpit. Primed black.

DV32YhZ.jpg

Then sprayed with Tamiya Haze Grey. I then tried a new trick I saw on youtube - making a wet palate - which I then mixed Vallejo blue grey pale, neutral grey, and basalt grey in. With this range of greys I then broke up the panels and side walls - using lighter shades on more prominent parts. 

5gn2lDb.jpg

Then details were picked out before an oil wash of black and umber went on. 

mdjKYbH.jpg

I also got the seat built and painted - using rolled flat solder for seat-belts. The dials on the cockpit's rear bulkhead looked a bit soft to me, so I made use of my new punch and die and boosted the dials up a bit before painting using the same steps as above. 

W1F9ceK.jpg

Leaving today's work as below. Quite happy so far, but it's early days! Thanks for looking, and all comments / notes most welcome. 

Bruce

ehYURAF.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, billn53 said:

Looks great so far! I'm not familiar with the "wet palate" technique, but it certainly is effective. Could you point me to the youtube video you mentioned?

Thank you! I can't actually find the video I saw - it was part of a tutorial on scale figure painting - but this is the idea, and actually a better video than the first I saw :

• Like 1

Small update. The left side of the fuselage / cockpit is now painted. Same gig again - but this side has a lot less going on... Added a styrene strip (using the ever handy mixed bags from Slater's) where the instrument panel joined the sidewall. I preferred the look of the regular overhang to the prospect of filling and sanding that join. 

Once it was all painted up and weathered it looked rather barren - so I added in a few levers from plastic rod. Once they are dried I will add some knobs and paint them up, before adding some more grime. 

Cheers, 

xUrxHTp.jpg

• Like 1

Having looked at some beautiful 1/32 builds of JU88s - I realised that there was a lot in the way of levers and rods etc that could be added down the left rear cockpit wall... I am just starting out trying to do scratch built stuff - so it's a gentle start, but I made some levers, and a sort of box / unit thingy to add some interest to the sidewall.

UHPSZ8l.jpg

And here they are in place - painted up. I also tried for the first time some hand painted writing... Again - this was for visual interest and to break up the large blank side-wall, it's in no way historically accurate! 

jzGfO67.jpg

I also got going on the rest of the cockpit. The seats went together fine - though I think one seat part is mis-numbered in the instructions. Luckily it's the only part on the sprues that looks anything like it, so confusion caused is minimal. I used rolled-flat solder wire for belts, which I then painted with a mix of Vallejo green-brown and white. While painting them I made an effort to not mix the paints fully, so that some parts are darker / lighter. It's not really obvious in photos (or really to the eye) but I think there's a subtle effect of it being non-uniform. 

I also made cushions with green-stuff. Partly for fun, and partly to cover injector marks which would have been a pain to sand out of those recessed seats...

7cWtZKk.jpg

2mRbE7g.jpg

Leaving me quite close to being able to close up the fuselage! Annoyingly - I didn't notice the prominent seam on the back of the pilot's seat until it was glued in place... trying to decide whether to try and sand it in situ or to leave it and learn for next time...

9af62NS.jpg

So far it's been great fun. Thanks for looking, all comments / suggestions most welcome.

Bruce

• Like 7

Never heard of using flattened solder wire for seat belts before - GREAT idea!   (I will borrow that if you don't mind, for my next build.  It will save me having to buy expensive wine in order to get the lead from the cap.....)

Philip

28 minutes ago, Prenton said:

Never heard of using flattened solder wire for seat belts before - GREAT idea!   (I will borrow that if you don't mind, for my next build.  It will save me having to buy expensive wine in order to get the lead from the cap.....)

Philip

Hi Philip - yeah - I did it first to make some fastenings for wires as below on a Yak3. Then realised it would be easier than cutting foil to the right width. And of course - it's very maleable and keeps to the shape you put it in. Which is great news.

sELMG4Q.jpg

• Thanks 1

'Working' from home today... So a bit more progress. The fuselage went together without any real issues. The only potential problem looks to be the separate part in the aircraft's spine where the - errrr, well, I'm not actually sure what it is?.... sits. That's going to take some filling... 

RvjWvk3.jpg

Next up was some work on the engines. I decided to try - another first - drilling out the exhausts. Drilling two small holes angling toward one another - then cutting away the separating part seemed the fastest way. Still a pretty average looking job in the end, but hopefully a bit better than just painting the ends black as I usually would. 

o8eNSY0.jpg

jflhe1R.jpg

And I got a start on the engines. Lots of nice detail, and I plan to leave at least some of the access panels open, so spent some time on the firewalls etc. Again on those I mixed varying shades of olive from Vallejo paints and used lighter shades on raised areas. The engines were sprayed primer black, then dry brushed medium grey, then dry brushed with vallejo aluminium. 

pRxdPdE.jpg

Thanks for looking! 

best,

Bruce

• Like 4

Small update having wriggled in some time before and after work the last few days... 

Exhausts filed down a bit, then were painted with a mix of Vallejo saddle brown and red, then heavily rubbed with a burnt umber oil wash. I am calling the engines finished - and sadly not a lot of them will be visible, even with the access panels open any... so probably OK to move on. 

dyCaWKI.jpg

I also put together the main landing gear. Again  -  there were some seam-marks I tried to remove using various files. I then primed them black, filed some more bits off, before spraying with a can of Tamiya dark green (RAF 2). Once that dried I pained the canvas-y part before putting on a another heavy dark oil wash. Once that dried I rubbed off the excess then finally dry brushed the whole thing with a mix of Vallejo white and military green. A very pale mix for the last layer to really pull out some edges. 

7WNhXpd.jpg

sB4LJkN.jpg

Thanks for looking! 

• Like 4

I took another look at the JU88’s legs, and decided they could do with a bit more detail. I have had a look online, and most images I saw showed a fairly prominent cable, presumably a hydraulic break-line (?) running down the side of the main gear. 

I drilled a small hole into the gear’s side - parallel to the wheel hub, and glued in some solder wire. Once it’s dried I plan to paint it up… Likely olive green with a similar oil-wash followed by pale olive green dry brush process…

Some photos show it looking the same colour as the gear, others seem to show black or maybe silver.… But it’s hard to tell...?

BzPonbA.jpg

• Like 3

Really nice work so far. I have the Revell 1:72 version of this kit, and I really like what your doing with your painting techniques. Whenever I get around to building the smaller kit the tips in this thread will be quite helpful.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

On 19/01/2018 at 4:57 PM, Navy Bird said:

Really nice work so far. I have the Revell 1:72 version of this kit, and I really like what your doing with your painting techniques. Whenever I get around to building the smaller kit the tips in this thread will be quite helpful.

Cheers,

Bill

Cheers Bill

Yes - this is my first time expanding dry brushing out to non-engine parts, and using varying built up tones of paint on things... I am quite happy with it, but it's certainly a different look. I think at times it's a bit OTT, but I will work on that! 

Bruce

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Bruce,

pretty nice job goin'on here !

Congratulations !

Will take a seat and Watch, if I may ?

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Thank you, and please do!

I am currently procrastinating over the bog bits by completing small sub-assemblies like bombs and props... Another update soon! 

• Like 1

Thrilling progress tonight! Well - progress at least... 

Sprayed the wheels primer black, then brush painted the hubs Vallejo basalt grey. Then cut some rough masks before a dry brush to pop up some of the details... Black wash will go on once the aluminium paint has dried... Then I plan to dry brush some dust onto the tires... Which will be a first  for me - but fingers crossed! 

Thanks for looking in. 

Bruce 

pqqyB9q.jpg

tQrcsiC.jpg

zJywKyX.jpg

• Like 1

Another small update. I am still procrastinating about putting the big bits together - but got a few little bits done along the way before and after work. 

Wheels were finished (paint-wise) with masking off the hubs, then dry brushing:  first a 50/50 Vallejo green-brown / white mix, then later a lighter mix that was around 80 white to 20 green-brown. 

dNgE7uL.jpg

y2nfBPw.jpg

The solder wire brake-lines were painted a paler shade of olive to make them stand out, and then all was once again dry brushed lightly with a very pale olive green. Quite happy with the legs! 

vB2RBZL.jpg

OqE01xF.jpg

I also painted and dry brushed the radiators, masked off the clear parts (very satisfying, if time consuming), started on a few guns (painted vallejo black grey then dry brushed with vallejo aluminium), and painted the spinners. These were sprayed primer white, then masked with 2mm cut strips of tamiya mask and sprayed dark grey-green. Props and bombs next! 

AoCY6zz.jpg

UAEk0ee.jpg

On the subject of bombs - I have seen various photos of German bombs and can’t decide whether these should be dark green, dark grey, or a pale blue-grey… Would this be open to choice, or is it in any way theatre-dependent? If it is - what colour would the bombs in the med be? 

Thanks for looking! 

Bruce

• Like 4