Tamiya 1/35 Panzer II Ausf F/G paints

TheVoidDragon

A while back i bought the Tamiya 1/35 Panzer II Ausf. F/G as my first Tamiya kit, my original intention was to go for the a Panzer Grey colour but it seems the infantry are meant to be Afrika Korps. I've been unable to find any specific colour guides for what paints are needed for both the tank and the infantry, the instructions are pretty vague and i've not been able to find any posts here or elsewhere with what paints have been used listed.

Can anyone tell me what paints would be needed for an Afrika Korps scheme for both the infantry and tank itself included in this kit? Preferably Tamiya or Revell paints as they're what i can get hold of easiest.

March '41 to April '42 saw RAL 800 with RAL 7008 camo patterns, April '42 to the end in May '43 saw RAL 8020 with 7027 camo patterns. 

For the easy way to replicate early scheme think Tamiya Desert Yellow XF-59 with a Khaki XF-49 camo pattern. 

Late is a bit harder, but for the easy way use Buff XF-59 mixed with a drop or two of white. Then, I always added a couple drops of Khaki to the Buff mix for the camo pattern.  

There are specific Tamiya mixes for the tropen colors, but these will get you in the ball park. 

For the figures, I can give you the colour call outs Tamiya recommend, but be aware none of these paints were specifically created for DAK tropical gear. 

36310_b__79009.1491196892.jpg?c=2

XF-60 --- helmet (honestly I'd go with whatever tropical  paint you use for the vehicle)

XF-60 --- uniform colour (tunic and pants), again I'd do some research and mix your own, since this is their 'supposed' vehicle colour introduced 1943.

XF-64 --- leather portion of footwear

XF-49 --- canvas portion of footwear, as well as other canvas gear, shirt

(2)XF-49 and (1XF-58) --- waist belt

XF-62 --- belt buckle

XF-57 --- optional colour for webbing

XF-?? --- brown socks

-----------------------------------------------------

Generally, the statement has been made that tropical issue wear ranged in colour from  brown to dark olive green khaki.  Throw in sun bleaching, washing, and dust, and you can have quite a variety of colours.

regards,

Jack

On 1/6/2018 at 23:29, Bonhoff said:

When I built mine I simply purchased the Vallejo DAK set but This Site might help...

21 hours ago, AgentG said:

March '41 to April '42 saw RAL 800 with RAL 7008 camo patterns, April '42 to the end in May '43 saw RAL 8020 with 7027 camo patterns. 

For the easy way to replicate early scheme think Tamiya Desert Yellow XF-59 with a Khaki XF-49 camo pattern. 

Late is a bit harder, but for the easy way use Buff XF-59 mixed with a drop or two of white. Then, I always added a couple drops of Khaki to the Buff mix for the camo pattern.  

There are specific Tamiya mixes for the tropen colors, but these will get you in the ball park. 

Thanks, those definitely help. Not looking for entirely accurate as it seems that would require mixing and i'm not entirely confident enough for that yet, so just something vaguely in the right sort of area is fine with me!

Supposedly Mission Models does very close matches of the paints so i suppose it's easiest to just find something similar to theirs! From what i can tell, it looks as if Revell "Africa Brown No. 17" is the closest to RAL 8020 (very similar to the Mission Models version) but for some reason Revell suggest it for a early war 1941 scheme, not sure if that's just they don't have anything closer to RAL 8000 or there's some other reason. I thought their "Sandy Yellow No. 16"might be similar to RAL 8000 at first but that seems to be what they suggest as DunkelGelb.

10 hours ago, JackG said:

For the figures, I can give you the colour call outs Tamiya recommend, but be aware none of these paints were specifically created for DAK tropical gear. 

36310_b__79009.1491196892.jpg?c=2

XF-60 --- helmet (honestly I'd go with whatever tropical  paint you use for the vehicle)

XF-60 --- uniform colour (tunic and pants), again I'd do some research and mix your own, since this is their 'supposed' vehicle colour introduced 1943.

XF-64 --- leather portion of footwear

XF-49 --- canvas portion of footwear, as well as other canvas gear, shirt

(2)XF-49 and (1XF-58) --- waist belt

XF-62 --- belt buckle

XF-57 --- optional colour for webbing

XF-?? --- brown socks

-----------------------------------------------------

Generally, the statement has been made that tropical issue wear ranged in colour from  brown to dark olive green khaki.  Throw in sun bleaching, washing, and dust, and you can have quite a variety of colours.

regards,

Jack

Thanks, i suppose it'll just be easiest to get some sort of green Khaki for the uniform and go for that then!

Edited by TheVoidDragon