Matchbox HP Heyford

Another one from the Matchbox group build. A few years back there was a thread with a pretty convincing argument that several Heyfords were used for trainers in WW2 and at least one was painted in trainer colours, with yellow undersides. Well, here it is, best as I can make it.

Matchbox PK-605 1/72nd Handley-Page Heyford, acrylics by Tamiya, rigging by ez-line, plenty of putty by Tamiya and Perfect Plastic Putty.

rbpClhd.jpg

rKQrzBL.jpg

30to2sW.jpg

ZuFMGEM.jpg

MNBg5uv.jpg 

• Like 46
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, JWM said:

Very nice. I think such livery Heyford is seen here, for example:

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania heyford handley page

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania heyford handley page

Cheers

J-W

Yep, that's one of them; the other is this:

Heyford_at_Jurby_1.jpg

...and it's all from page 3 of this thread

so many thanks to all there, and mostly John Aero and dogsbody for the pics.

Edited by Unkempt
  • Like 2

Brilliant, unusual, and not to forget full of character!

I love every bit of it.

Congrats

JR

Very beautiful "steam punk" bomber.....Always loved that Matchbox kit wich, altogether with the Vickers Wellesley, made an interesting duo, miles away from the commonly seen, mainstream kits we all know.....

You've don justice to that "oldie but goodie". Congratulations.

Cheers,....

• 1 year later...

It was this stream that motivated me to do a 'Jurby' yellow Heyford. Thank you for the inspiration. I hope you like my effort - 'Unkempt's' work was a useful guide. As you can see I chose to pre-paint top and bottom wings separately and then join them !!

IMG_0121 by arhills, on Flickr

49105234406_510e9701cd_m.jpgIMG_1711 by arhills, on Flickr

Oops, looks a bit S&M 😉

IMG_1711 by arhills, on Flickr

IMG_1711 by arhills, on Flickr

49105136411_9879316b54_m.jpgIMG_0128 by arhills, on Flickr

49105134851_3c68978bda_m.jpgIMG_0127 by arhills, on Flickr

49104629633_ec77c905de_m.jpgIMG_0130 by arhills, on Flickr

Edited by Adrian Hills
Initially attached wrong images
  • Like 1

The missing images. The other Heyford seen is one I did to celebrate the Daventry experiment - Britain's first attempt by Watson-Watt to detect an aircraft using radar. 

49105419927_7fef12444b_m.jpgIMG_1697 by arhills, on Flickr

49105287771_a65aa1fe83_m.jpgIMG_1662 by arhills, on Flickr

49104781803_2f08c5e5b9_m.jpgIMG_1661 by arhills, on Flickr

Procopius,

This was incorrectly posted on this thread.

I used the Matchbox kit as the basis. Added some Airfix Lanc engines splayed at the back to fit nacelle profile. The pressure vessel on the front was made by turning in a lathe a billet of aluminium and then vac-forming two halves over it and joining. The tail profile and under nose fairing was made using Milliput. DF loop pull moulded in clear over a kit one. Canopy pull moulded over a suitably shaped bit of Milliput.

It hung in a model shop for many years in Lewes, East Sussex and I was never happy with the colour blue and the shape of the nose. Ian Huntley, who I took my colour reference from specified a darker blue, which I initially used but then repainted it lighter.  As I was refinishing the model I took the opportunity to make the nose more pointy with Milliput as my skills with a lathe aren't too good and my billet was too blunt.

I used the same billet method to produce a grand slam bomb for a Lanc but I don't have that any more.

A friend has recently turned two pressure vessel billets for me. One 1/72 and the other 1/48 !!

Watch this space 🙂

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I'd like to know more about this pressurized Wimpy!

I did similar conversion some years ago from Itaelri model - not so much difficult to do:

I will follow yellow Heyford one day...

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM

Grand! Love to see a Heyford and you've (both) aced the mysterious yellow scheme! I notice the aircraft in the second photo with the airman leaning on the spat seems to be coded "E"...in case you want to add an extra decal post hoc!