A disclaimer: this set is from my collection but are official Air Force Flight Test Center photos. The AFFTC reference numbers are on the images.

When I moved from the F-16XL Combined Test Force (CTF) in 1984 to the 6512th Test Squadron (Test Ops), there were two clean-outs taking place. The A-10 CTF was closing, in part to make room for the Advanced Tactical Fighter CTF, the YF-22/YF-23 competition, and because A-10 development flight test was pretty much coming to an end. A quarter mile away, Test Ops was making room to accept the two remaining A-10 test programs that had to be completed before the last of the Hogs were traded to Eglin in exchange for a couple of A-7Ds. The Hog trade was a logistic consideration to consolidate A-10 test operations at Eglin with the 3246th Test Wing, while consolidating A-7D test support operations at Edwards with the 6510TW. A-7D testing was rarely required at this point in the SLUFF's life cycle, but the SLUFF was still a valued support aircraft and part of the USAF Test Pilot School curriculum as a systems bird and spin instruction airframe.

At the A-10 building, we were told to throw out anything that we didn't want - apparently the engineers and history office had already picked over the vacating offices. I found these pictures in the back of a desk drawer.

At Test Ops, in closing a door that had apparently been propped open for 25 years, on the back of the door was a map showing all the X-15 emergency landing sites from Utah down to Southern California, with appropriate notes. I don't know what I was doing that was so important, but I made a mental note to come back to save the map for myself. When I got back about 30 minutes later it was GONE! Of course no one knew what I was on about when I asked where the map went - "Map? What map?" Pulling of hair, rending of flight suit - you get the idea...

Anyway, the pics. One from 1979, the rest from 1980. Icing tests of what I am quite sure is Full-Scale Development (FSD) jet, s/n 73-1667. This is the 1979 picture. Note the camera mounted on the right wing tip. I think it is focused on the right engine intake. The orange outline of the access panel aft of the cockpit indicates special test instrumentation is located there. There is also a non-standard outlet mounted proud of the panel. Several ice measuring probes are visible on the aircraft nose, the landing gear sponson, the wing leading edge,  and at the front of the Pave Penny shape. As usual, the water from the icing tanker has yellow dye for in-flight visualization.

73-1667 AFFTC C0713-79cr

Into 1980... Wing-tip camera removed. With A-37B chase, showing the typical icing test set-up.

73-1667 AFFTC C0145-80cr

Approaching the icing rig at the end of the tanker boom.

73-1667 AFFTC C0036-80cr

Some ice build-up

73-1667 AFFTC C0045-80cr

73-1667 AFFTC C0144-80cr

Probably near the limit for ice on the wing leading edge. The little orange rectangles are the attachment points for the ice probes.

73-1667 AFFTC C0155-80cr

Often published October 1975 photo of three FSD jets with the two YA-10 prototypes at the back.

73-1667 A-10 CTF KEDW 1975

That's '667 up front. Behind her is '666, later to become one of my test jets for Nitramine ammunition trials and terrain avoidance system tests. The next, with the "1" on the tail is '664, eventually modified to the two-seat Night/Adverse Weather configuration. then 71-1370 and 71-1369.

Thanks for looking,

Sven

Edited by Old Viper Tester
typos
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

On 1/6/2018 at 1:20 PM, Head in the clouds. said:

it looks like the test is only carried out to one side of the plane at a time, I assume for safety reasons.

Yep, that's the idea.

On 1/6/2018 at 1:25 PM, Mike said:

How does one land with yellow ice on one's windscreen?

That's one good thing about flight testing over the Mojave Desert, even in winter the temperature at lower levels is rarely above freezing. So yeah, just descend, using the seeing-eye chase aircraft if necessary, and the ice melts away pretty quickly. It does get cold there though, Edwards AFB field elevation is about 2300 ft MSL.

I've got a picture somewhere of a 5-ft snowman my boys and I had made one day at Edwards, but by afternoon it was gone. And that was the only snow in our first four years there!

Sven

Edited by Old Viper Tester
clarification
  • Like 2

Great pics and insights as usual, Sven - thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

I'm about to start a 1/72 Hog, and I think your expertise (along with @Gene K's own, since the second part of his career was on the A10) would be highly appreciated .... :whistle::)

Ciao

Edited by giemme

47 minutes ago, Old Viper Tester said:

I've got a picture somewhere of a 5-ft snowman my boys and I had made one day at Edwards, but by afternoon it was gone. And that was only one day of snow in our first four years there!

Sounds good :) I'm looking forward to hearing some of your stories. Hopefully we have sufficient supplies of :popcorn:

Nice photo's, and another fascinating insight into the world of testing.

2 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

........one of my favourite American planes.

Mine too.

1 hour ago, giemme said:

I'm about to start a 1/72 Hog....

Looking forward to that giemme.

• Like 2

Ab fab phots Sven what was your involvement ...IFTU (US equivilent)?

Think its great that they are still arguing over whether to keep them going.....wonder if the same arguements happened with Buccaneers....having the money helps and what capability gaps you can deal with.....we have loads now 

35 minutes ago, junglierating said:

what was your involvement ...IFTU (US equivilent)?

As noted, I wasn't a participant for these. Just happened to find the photos.

30 minutes ago, junglierating said:

I really should read as well as looking at the pretty pictures

Been there... reading just requires too much effort sometimes :smile:.

When these tests were being done at Edwards, I was a technical intelligence analyst at Wright-Patterson. In mid-1980, I was stationed at Nellis AFB as an operational test manager for F-4s and F-15s. Made the move to Edwards in 1981.

• Like 1