1/48 Tornado GR.4 questions

ReccePhreak

POST EDITED

I recently got the Revell 1/48 Tornado GR.4 kit (04924), and I'd like to do it in Operation Telic markings.

I was looking at the Kits World decals (48126 & 48132), but I finally figured out they are NOT for GR.4s. I don't want to do a Jubilee/Commemorative bird, so what are my options for aftermarket decals?

I realize now that I will not be able to do a desert pink bird, but stick with a grey one.

Since the kit does not come with any weapons other than Sidewinders, what are my least expensive options to put some interesting weapons on it? 

I was looking through my stash of spare parts I have acquired over the years, and i found some GBU-24Bs from the Revell Lightning kit. Can I put them on the belly pylons? I also have a set of GBU-10 Paveway IIs from AMRAAM Line, would those be usable, or are they too outdated?

I don't have any Storm Shadows, and can't justify buying the Revell Lightning kit, just for those parts.

I also found a plastic IRLS blister/fairing and some SLIR decals, so I have decided I want to do a GR.4A Tornado. I read where the GR.4A can carry either the Litening or Sniper pod. I have the BRASSIN Sniper ATP (648-252). Would that work, or should I get the BRASSIN Litening pod? 

Any things to look out for or correct on the kit? I did get a set of Pavla MB Mk10A seats for it

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak

The Tornado at the time of Op Granby (Desert Storm) was the GR1/1A so your model is for after then. Op Telic is OK as by then the GR4 had arrived.

There was one GR4 painted in pink as a special "one off", ZG750 was the aircraft.

https://theaviationist.com/2016/02/20/desert-pink-special-colored-tornado/

Freightdog make a resin 1/48 RAPTOR pod.

https://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/freightdog-1-48-tornado-gr-4-raptor-pod.html

I can't help on any kit issues as I haven't made it.

Rob.

Since I don't do "special" or commemorative schemes, but prefer operational schemes, I guess I will just do the kit markings. 

I'd like to do it as a GR.4A, but have to see what is all needed, and if I can source the parts.

Now I still need to source some weapons for the kit.

Larry

There are also Decals from printscale if you want somthing different

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Print-Scale-Decals-1-48-PANAVIA-GR-Mk-I-TORNADO-Jet-Fighter-Part-2-/361499293711?_mwBanner=1

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/941377-print-scale-48-040-panavia-tornado

or here:

http://www.printscale.org/product_138.html

http://www.printscale.org/product_149.html

Weapons are out there.... what do you want?

Brimstone, Storm Shadow, PavewayIV,

Paveway III, Clusterbombs,GP bombs...

Depending on conflict!!

Edited by exdraken

Regarding making the Revell GR4 into a 1991 Gulf war machine: as stated the only option is a GR1 or a GR1A, you can get away with the instrument panels as no-one but you will notice they are the latter design but the seats need changed for the earlier design, this isnt a problem as pavla resin ones are available.

If you want the A model (either 1 or 4) then the linescan and the fuselage windows are not in the kit and will have to be sourced 

It will be far easier to make a Telic machine as a standard GR4. Buy a Typhoon and use the Storm Shadow missiles in it. Hannants had the stencils and nose art

Regards

Nigel

Ps the kitsworld decals refer to GR4 s and GR1Bs, ignore those references they are wrong

Edited by nigelshipp
extra info

do not by any Lightning kit, those never contain Storm shadows. It would by the Eurofighter Typhoon kits (new, Revell ones) or Rafale 2 seater kits)

GBU-24s look reasonable close to the RAF Paveway IIIs imho.... otheres will say not but.......

Paveway IV can be sourced from Eduard or renaissance-flight

Edited by exdraken

23 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

I also found a plastic IRLS blister/fairing and some SLIR decals, so I have decided I want to do a GR.4A Tornado. I read where the GR.4A can carry either the Litening or Sniper pod. I have the BRASSIN Sniper ATP (648-252). Would that work, or should I get the BRASSIN Litening pod? 

The RAF Tornado uses the Litening Pod; Sniper was only (I think) used by Joint Force Harrier. 

The normal peace time training fit would normally consist of external tanks; Sky Shadow ECM Pod and a BOZ107 chaff/flare dispenser or two BOZ pods, AIM9 acquisition rounds/RAIDS Pod and a Litening Pod.  I think Storm Shadow was only used by 617 (Dambusters) and IX Sqadrons' GR Mk.4s.

3 minutes ago, exdraken said:

do not by any Lightning kit, those never contain Storm shadows. It would by the Eurofighter Typhoon kits (new, Revell ones) or Rafale 2 seater kits)

GBU-24s look reasonable close to the RAF Paveway IIIs imho.... otheres will say not but.......

my mistake, that's what I meant. They were from the Eurofighter Typhoon kit.Thanks for your opinion on the GBU-24Bs, I will go with them Now I just have to decide to either go with the BRASSIN Sniper ATP I have or buy their Litening pod.

Larry

1 minute ago, Richard E said:

The RAF Tornado uses the Litening Pod; Sniper was only (I think) used by Joint Force Harrier. 

The normal peace time training fit would normally consist of external tanks; Sky Shadow ECM Pod and a BOZ107 chaff/flare dispenser or two BOZ pods, AIM9 acquisition rounds/RAIDS Pod and a Litening Pod.  I think Storm Shadow was only used by 617 (Dambusters) and IX Sqadrons' GR Mk.4s.

Thanks for that info. I will order the Litening pod, and try to source some decals that will work with a GR.4A bird. Hopefully I will be able to use the kit's 617 Sqn decals, but just change the codes.

Some options for weapons:

Paveway III - the weapons in the Revell 1/48 Typhoon have a representation of the UK tail assembly, and so are much closer to a UK Paveway III than a GBU-24 would be.

Paveway IV - L'Arsenal do these and they are the only game in town. Eduard do not yet make them unfortunately.

Brimstone - Eduard have just released this in their Brassin range and it is superb. You'll need to scratch a wedge adaptor if you're loading the weapon onto one of the rear shoulder stations though, as the launcher is angled downwards to clear the store in front.

LITENING III - Eduard have a good one. Just be careful that it's the correct way around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobski said:

Some options for weapons:

Paveway III - the weapons in the Revell 1/48 Typhoon have a representation of the UK tail assembly, and so are much closer to a UK Paveway III than a GBU-24 would be.

Paveway IV - L'Arsenal do these and they are the only game in town. Eduard do not yet make them unfortunately.

Brimstone - Eduard have just released this in their Brassin range and it is superb. You'll need to scratch a wedge adaptor if you're loading the weapon onto one of the rear shoulder stations though, as the launcher is angled downwards to clear the store in front.

LITENING III - Eduard have a good one. Just be careful that it's the correct way around.

Thanks for that info. :thumbsup2:

I have 2 of the GBU-24Bs from a Revell Typhoon which I plan to use.

I also plan to order a BRASSIN Litening soon.

Larry

11 hours ago, Bobski said:

Aren't the Eduard Brassin GBU-49 bombs Paveway IVs?

I just sourced some Storm Shadows from my friend. Can the GR.4A carry a Litening pod, Storm Shadows and GBU-24Bs or GBU-49s?

I plan to do my Tornado in 617 markings, if I can source the right codes to match a GR.4A.

13 minutes ago, ReccePhreak said:

I just sourced some Storm Shadows from my friend. Can the GR.4A carry a Litening pod, Storm Shadows and GBU-24Bs or GBU-49s?

I plan to do my Tornado in 617 markings, if I can source the right codes to match a GR.4A.

For the Litening Pod and the GBUs, I think the answer is "yes".

I don't know if Storm Shadow needs any additional "black boxes" or interfaces - it might be worth asking a question of the IPMS Tornado SIG

34 minutes ago, Richard E said:

For the Litening Pod and the GBUs, I think the answer is "yes".

I don't know if Storm Shadow needs any additional "black boxes" or interfaces - it might be worth asking a question of the IPMS Tornado SIG

Thanks for that info & link.

It turns out I had joined that SIG last year, but never posted anything until today. :o

9 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

GBU-49 is not the same as Paveway IV (although looks similar, as being also based on the GBU-12)

for the Stormshadow no other pods are needed. 2 are usually carried below the fuselage. nothing else would fit then anyways!

12 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

No, GBU-49 and Paveway IV are very different weapons. A GBU-49 would need some significant modifications to represent a Paveway IV, and GBU-49 is not carried on Tornado.

I'm not sure whether 617 was ever equipped with GR4A, but I could be wrong. As far as stores are concerned, the GR4A can carry the same weapons and pods as the regular GR4, it just doesn't have the gun.

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

GBU-49 is not the same as Paveway IV (although looks similar, as being also based on the GBU-12)

for the Stormshadow no other pods are needed. 2 are usually carried below the fuselage. nothing else would fit then anyways!

Thanks for that info. Now I have to decide if I want to go with Storm Shadows, or with a Litening pod & GBU-24Bs.

1 hour ago, Bobski said:

No, GBU-49 and Paveway IV are very different weapons. A GBU-49 would need some significant modifications to represent a Paveway IV, and GBU-49 is not carried on Tornado.

I'm not sure whether 617 was ever equipped with GR4A, but I could be wrong. As far as stores are concerned, the GR4A can carry the same weapons and pods as the regular GR4, it just doesn't have the gun.

Thanks, I will have to check my photos to see if I have any pics of a GR.4A in 617 Sqn.

EDIT: I just found this photo:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8236/8521619660_9ca29b88f5_b.jpg

I wasn't aware of the gun being removed on the GR.4A, thanks for the heads up. Do I just fill in the gun openings and panel lines?

Edited by ReccePhreak

Exdraken, thanks for those links.

I can't get to the Defense Industry photo unless I register on the site.

The last link set off my AVG antivirus program, saying it aborted connection to www.resboiu.ro because it was infected with something called URL:Mal.

When I tried to just pull up the photo, it warned me again, but another malware,

I will check out that Hyperscale build, if I can suffer the EXTREMELY SLOW Hyperscale forum. :hmmm:

The pic loading the Enhanced Paveway bomb show a different type of bomb than the ones I have. I still haven't decided if I will go with a Storm Shadow loadout or a Litening with LGB loadout. I guess it will all depend on what markings 
I can source.

23 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

I wasn't aware of the gun being removed on the GR.4A, thanks for the heads up. Do I just fill in the gun openings and panel lines?

Yes, fill them both and you'll be good to go. You'll also need to source a Linescan pod for under the fuselage. Not sure where to get one of them from.

22 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

The pic loading the Enhanced Paveway bomb show a different type of bomb than the ones I have. I still haven't decided if I will go with a Storm Shadow loadout or a Litening with LGB loadout. I guess it will all depend on what markings 
I can source.

The Enhanced Paveway II is based around a UK 1000lb warhead and not a US Mk80 series, so it will look different. DACO products do an Enhanced Paveway II in 1/48, but you only get one so buying multiple weapons can be expensive.

Just a note, there is a lot of confusion around about "Paveway."

Lets get it straight.  Paveway is not a bomb! Paveway is a US trademark, and it relates entirely to the Guidance system (in simple terms the bit at the front). Paveway I, II, III, and IV  and "Advanced" relate to the different build standards of guidance.

So you can for example have a Early US GBU 10  or 12 based on the Mk 84 or Mk 82 bomb that are Paveway I,  or you can have a later GBU 10 or 12 that are Paveway II,  depending on the standard of guidance fitted.

The British fitted the US Paveway II  Guidance to the British 1000lb bomb to make the Paveway II(UK) used by the RAF.  

GBU 48 is a Enhanced Paveway II based on the US Mk 83 warhead. Enhanced Paveway II (UK) seen on Tornado/Typhoon is the same guidance based on the British 1000lb bomb. 

The GBU 24 is a Paveway III. The British Paveway III(UK) looks similar  but has a different tail and Bomb, and a hardback the only common factor is the Paveway III guidance, hence the designation.

Paveway IV is a guidance that was developed especially for the British.  As far as I know its not used by the US currently.

Hope this clarifies a bit.

Selwyn

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I thought you'd like to see this build by another member, it shows a good weapons fit from Telic

During Telic reece was performed by 2 and 13 squadroms using pooled aircraft. They also saw the introduction of the Raptor recon pod. This was so successful the TIRRS in the A models was turned off a year later

As Raptor can be carried by any GR4 the A models were reclassed as generic airframes and from 2005 other squadrons started to recieve them. Therefore it is possible to build your 617 machine as a GR4A but it would be post Telic

Ps:- one of the build threads for 2018 on the Tornado SIG is 15 years on from Telic so please post us some pictures of how you get on

Pps:- For a pure reece bird I'd consider buying a Raptor pod, building as a 4A, in Telic markings and not worry about Paveways

Cheers

Nigel

Tornado SIG Member

On 1/14/2018 at 3:06 AM, nigelshipp said:

I thought you'd like to see this build by another member, it shows a good weapons fit from Telic

During Telic reece was performed by 2 and 13 squadroms using pooled aircraft. They also saw the introduction of the Raptor recon pod. This was so successful the TIRRS in the A models was turned off a year later

As Raptor can be carried by any GR4 the A models were reclassed as generic airframes and from 2005 other squadrons started to recieve them. Therefore it is possible to build your 617 machine as a GR4A but it would be post Telic

Ps:- one of the build threads for 2018 on the Tornado SIG is 15 years on from Telic so please post us some pictures of how you get on

Pps:- For a pure reece bird I'd consider buying a Raptor pod, building as a 4A, in Telic markings and not worry about Paveways

Cheers

Nigel

Tornado SIG Member

Nigel,

Thanks for the link, and the added info. I just managed to pick up a bagged Hobby Boss 1/48 Tornado IDS/GR.1 for only $15. So now I can build a pink Desert Storm GR.1 or GR.1A, AND a Telic GR.4 or GR.4A. I thought I had a resin 1/48 RAPTOR pod somewhere in my stash, but I can't locate it yet. It may be a cottage industry version, but should still be usable after cleaning up. Now it's just a matter of sourcing the right decals. On my limited disability income, I can't justify buying a whole sheet of markings, when I only need one set. :o

I flip-flop between subjects, so right now I am working on Hobby Boss's 1/48 Blohm & Voss BV141B. I am actually installing a camera in the rear.

Larry