Tornado GR1/1A, 1/48, Airfix

Lord Riot

I'm thinking of bidding for one of these on eBay.

Apart from the 16 sqn colours on the box, does anybody know what other decal options are in the kit? I quite fancy doing it as TWCU circa mid 80s.

Anything else about this kit? Will it need the dreaded filler, I'm so bad at filling, it always sticks up over the sides and looks worse than having the joins showing!

11jtes1.jpg

09176 has decal options for wraparound Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey camouflage Tornado GR.1 of 16 Squadron and Tornado GR.1A of 13 Squadron along with extensive stenciling for aircraft and weapons options although this was produced during a time when Airfix decals were done in house and quite often very slightly out of register.     Fit on the Airfix kit got quite bad over the years but as far as I recall 09176 was the first boxing to be released before the 'Gulf War' , GR.1B and GR.4/4A versions and was perhaps a bit sharper than some of the later re-releases.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Thanks Des, useful info. 

I'll see when it comes, pretty sure there must be aftermarket TWCU decals in 1/48 somewhere too.

Look around on eBay or the like for Xtradecal sheet X011-48 (which must be over 25 years old now, and OOP). It has markings for Tornado GR1 ZA407 of TWCU, with the 45 Sqn winged camel emblem.

I've got some bits and pieces to attempt to backdate the recent Revell GR4 to a GR1, and have one carefully-preserved sheet of X011 to let me do what you have in mind. Sorry...

It would be lovely if Hannants/Xtradecal revisited some of the early Tornado sheets in time for the mighty Fin's OSD. Just saying.

Good luck with the build and the hunt.

Edited by Steve Coombs
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

Look around on eBay or the like for Xtradecal sheet X011-48 (which must be over 25 years old now, and OOP). It has 

It would be lovely if Hannants/Xtradecal revisited some of the early Tornado sheets in time for the mighty Fin's OSD. Just saying.

Good luck with the build and the hunt.

Yeah, another readon being the availablity of a state of the art kit for Gr1, 4 and F3 now in the form of the Revell ones in 48th....

Regarding the above,  the Airfix kit is probably the hardest to build of all available options...

Here's an Airfix Tornado GR-1 that I built in 2015.

Airfix_Tornado_Camo_P.jpg

Airfix_Tornado_CamoS.jpg

I used an XtraDecal set for the 45 Squadron markings.

I had a teacher at school who flew with 45 squadron in the 1950s - always wore a Winged Camel tie.

This link from Tornado SIG explains how to install the tailerons, without wanting to destroy the model!

http://s13.zetaboards.com/Tornado_SIG/topic/838533/1/#entry23130566

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
More info
  • Like 1

Well, I won this for a very reasonable £16, so I'll see what I can do with it. I want to do it to display with a Harrier, Jaguar, Buccaneer & Lightning (Phantoms are always too expensive) all in 1/48 with markings circa 1986. When the RAF actually had some nice jets in decent numbers!