Vulcan B.1 undercarriage

Admiral Puff

I'm converting an Airfix Vulcan B.2 into XA903, one of the two B.1s that came out here on Blue Steel trials (and was used later as a test bed for the Concorde's Olympus). I've reached the point where she's ready to stand on her own feet, and here a problem arises. I'm sure I've read somewhere that the B.1's undercarriage was different from that of the B.2 Is this correct? If so, how different? The internet has been singularly unhelpful. The only pictures I've been able to find are either wheels up, or show the u/c as vague shapes hidden in the gloom under the wings, or have superfluous items such as crew, ground equipment and the like parked in the way.

The U/C on the B2 was quite different to that on the B1.

The Upper part of the main leg on the B1 was a 'solid', roughly triangular, shape whereas that on the B2 was an open 'lattice' type structure. The nose wheel leg on the B1 was also some 12" longer than that on the B2. Are you fitting her with a Blue Steel? Remember that the missile was not recessed as far into the bomb bay on XA903 as it was on the B2.

I still haven't bothered to set up to post pics here, so I will email you with some info you may find useful.

Cheers,

Peter M

• Like 2

Hi there it's been a very long time since I logged in here and just got your email. The B1 wheel hubs where different to the B2 as where the undercarriage legs the rear ones are the same height but solid blocks of a more chunky triangle shape and the front leg is similar in design but much taller. The B1 would sit with its nose up much more than the B2. Look for photos of scrapped XA901 for good photos of these and the flight path kit has nice solid metal legs for the B1 in their conversion kit. The vulcan B1 was basically a totally different aircraft from the nose back except for the tail and some of the centre section. Shame none are left it was a beautiful plane. 

Haply new Year Rob:) 

Thanks, Rob. 

It is a shame that none were preserved. I remember going to Cosford (I think) in early 1983 to see the one they had there - was that XA901? - and the fog that day was so thick that we didn't know we had found the beast until we were standing under it! Needless to say photography was not really viable ...