Dan-Air Comet conundrum

stevehnz

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

Thanks Chris, I have an Airfix Comet hence my query here.  I flew in a Comet 4C on my first posting to the Far East,  waaaayyyy back when, and am watching this thread for build guidance notes.

Cheers

Mike

B737-800?  :smirk:

I haven't forgotten the 737 Mike and if you can make use of them, I believe I have a spare set of the Comet 4C wing tanks if you're a good boy. :thumbsup:

Chris.

If you're stuck the drop tanks from the Airfix 1:72nd Vampire T11 are nigh on perfect in size if you can cut a suitable hole in the Airfix Comet wings to receive them. The tanks have moulded-in pylons, but this works in your favour as there's a curved fairing where the wing leading edge meets the inboard edge of the tank, and the pylon helps form this.

Here's my BOAC Comet 4 I did a few years ago (also 26 decals). I cut 1.99 scale metres (1.38cm) out of the fuselage to give the correct length - this equates to two windows which should be the third and fourth ones thus reducing the forward cluster to six each side. In addition to adding the tanks I also extended the wingtips using bits of scrap plastic.

27826284149_6eb1957d8e_b.jpg

To further clarify the lengths/wingspans:

Comet 1: Original variant, long span wings (115ft) and short fuselage (93ft)

Comet 2: Avon engines, same wingspan and slightly lengthened fuselage (96ft 1in)

Comet 3: Demonstrator version only (1 aircraft). Same wingspan and substantially lengthened fuselage (111ft 6 in). Wing Tanks

Comet 4: Dimensions as Comet 3. Wing Tanks

Comet 4B: Short range, high capacity version originally for BEA. Longer fuselage (+ 6ft 6 in), shorter wings (Sorry, can't remember how much). No wing tanks. This is the variant provided by Airfix and IIRC the wingspan is correct for the 4B.

Comet 4C: Export/RAF version which combined the long wings from the Comet 4 (with wing tanks) and the long fuselage from the Comet 4B.

I believe Dan Air operated all three Comet 4 subtypes - they basically bought all the airworthy Comets available.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Vulcanicity
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

@Vulcanicity Thanks for showing that, I had been thinking about a -4 on BOAC colours as a follow on to a Dan-Air -4B as covering most of the important differences between the later marks. I don't 'spose I could persuade you to reinstate the photos in the build thread for this? :)

Steve. 

Edited by stevehnz

10 hours ago, stringbag said:

I haven't forgotten the 737 Mike and if you can make use of them, I believe I have a spare set of the Comet 4C wing tanks if you're a good boy. :thumbsup:

Chris.

Thanks Chris!  I am being as good as Mr Good, from the planet Good :giggle:

9 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

Comet 2: Avon engines, same wingspan and slightly lengthened fuselage (96ft 1in)

Comet 3: Demonstrator version only (1 aircraft). Same wingspan and substantially lengthened fuselage (111ft 6 in). Wing Tanks

Comet 4B: Short range, high capacity version originally for BEA. Longer fuselage (+ 6ft 6 in), shorter wings (Sorry, can't remember how much). No wing tanks. This is the variant provided by Airfix and IIRC the wingspan is correct for the 4B.

Comet 4C: Export/RAF version which combined the long wings from the Comet 4 (with wing tanks) and the long fuselage from the Comet 4B.

This really does help Phil, thank you for posting these details. :clap2:

I have the following books which should help me combine the above modelling info with what I might find within their pages,

comet_books.jpg

Oh dear;  despite all forms of resistance, I seem to be shifting over to the dark side.  Next, I shall be using the A-word in everyday conversation! :lipssealed:

Mike

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stringbag said:

Chris.

Chris, don't forget to send Mike the 737 with it's wings as well. :tease:

Dan-Air became THE Comet airline of all time..They had 4s,4Bs,4Cs and ex RAF C.4s which was a 4C as far as I can make out but it is still  a C.4 . Lasham had a Comet scrapyard to end all.literally. Quite a few, I think were just for spare parts though including selling bits back to the RAF for the Nimrod fleet.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, xvtonker said:

Does anyone know if there are any replacement engine intakes for any of the Comet kits, as they are all pretty horrendous.

XVTonker 

Not in current production so far as I'm aware although I'll be delighted to be proved wrong.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I took delivery yesterday of two Airfix Comet kits., the last two that Vince at Modelsforsale had. Now to wait on Ray at 26 to rerelease his Dan Air  sheet, maybe I should try to persuade him to do likewise with his BOAC sheet, I think that is OOP too.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2018 at 11:29 PM, Vulcanicity said:

I believe Dan Air operated all three Comet 4 subtypes - they basically bought all the airworthy Comets available.

Hope this helps!

All correct, well done. Just one variant missing from the list - the Comet 3B.  Comet 3 G-ANLO was initially demonstrated in BOAC markings with pinion tanks, then had them removed and was repainted in BEA colours, which led to BEA buying the 4B. Then the 3B went to RAE Bedford for trials with the Blind Landing Experimental Unit as XP915. I have a resin nose probe and decals for this variant which is on  my 'to do' list converting an Airfix 4B 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2018 at 8:19 AM, stevehnz said:

I took delivery yesterday of two Airfix Comet kits., the last two that Vince at Modelsforsale had. Now to wait on Ray at 26 to rerelease his Dan Air  sheet, maybe I should try to persuade him to do likewise with his BOAC sheet, I think that is OOP too.

Steve.

The Dan Air sheet is now available :)

• Thanks 1