1:72 Airfix BAC TSR.2

Yes the similarities to the Vigilante are unmistakable. The concept of releasing the weapon via a tunnel between the engines was iffy enough, made even more problematical when attached to a train of fuel cans. The plane would probably have been a bit narrower had the engineers went with a more conventional weapons bay like the TFX or TSR, but the plane would not have had the awesome fuel fraction it did, which paid off huge in the speed department.

The wing on the A3J would have been smaller, had it not been for the FLANCHOR requirement the Navy insisted on. However, given it was a nuclear strike weapon, well....

-d-

• Like 1

The wing is on! The joint at the front near the intakes is not as bad as I feared, and looks like it will be a relatively easy blend. It's kind of a weird design there, but what do I know? Never engineered an injection moulding tool in my life.

IMG_1755

A little filler and some paint and you'll never know.   :)

It seems that the main gear legs have to be installed in the bay prior to the bottom fuselage section going on. This means I've got a bit of a delay as I wait for the white metal gear - which I'm not sure if I'll use anyway. There are some other tasks I can do, such as cleaning up the rest of the resin parts, painting the exhausts, etc.

That big Spitfire keeps looking at me too...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 11

Today I received the package from Hannants containing the white metal landing gear set. I can verify, without any doubt in my mind, that this 1:72 set does NOT address the "splay" issue. The components are simply the Airfix parts cast in metal, and it looks like they used the Airfix parts as the master. Why else would a white metal part have an ejector pin mark? In exactly the same place, no less. One of the Airfix cross-beams has a noticeable seam line (where the two halves of the tool didn't align perfectly) and this is also present in the white metal. This set looks to be exact duplicates of the Airfix parts, only with a wee bit softer detail. By that I mean that corners aren't as sharp as they are on the kit parts. Not that the white metal is bad, it's just that I think the styrene is sharper.

So, obviously, I'm a bit disappointed but on the other hand it's kind of what I expected. I honestly don't think there will be a problem using the kit parts, so that's the plan. Tarted up with some of that Eduard PE of course.   

I don't have any new photos today, but I filled the seam on top of the forward fuselage with superglue and sanded this down nice and smooth. I didn't use putty because there is a lot of re-scribing to do in this area. The intakes are just about blended into the fuselage and wing, but I'll want to get some primer on and see what it looks like before I'll be happy.

I made a 36° included angle template that I can use when setting the main gear legs to the correct splay angle. I then made a very minor modification to the legs (just sanded a bit off of the inner contact surface) and I'm able to position the legs in accordance with the template. A little glue and Bob's yer Uncle. This is a fast and easy way to address the issue, especially when you're lazy like me.    :)

Toodles,

Bill

• Like 6

I'm really enjoying this build!!!:thumbsup:

Yuo're doing a top class work with those resin sets!!!:like:

About the white metal landing gears...these guys seem to be using the original plastic gears as a master, so...they aren't much of an improvement!

I normally avoid them , unless the weight of the model is such that ...you need a bit of...beefing up!

I'll keep watching!!!:drunk::cyclops::yikes:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Today I received the package from Hannants containing the white metal landing gear set. I can verify, without any doubt in my mind, that this 1:72 set does NOT address the "splay" issue. The components are simply the Airfix parts cast in metal, and it looks like they used the Airfix parts as the master. Why else would a white metal part have an ejector pin mark? In exactly the same place, no less. One of the Airfix cross-beams has a noticeable seam line (where the two halves of the tool didn't align perfectly) and this is also present in the white metal. This set looks to be exact duplicates of the Airfix parts, only with a wee bit softer detail. By that I mean that corners aren't as sharp as they are on the kit parts. Not that the white metal is bad, it's just that I think the styrene is sharper.

So, obviously, I'm a bit disappointed but on the other hand it's kind of what I expected. I honestly don't think there will be a problem using the kit parts, so that's the plan. Tarted up with some of that Eduard PE of course.   

I don't have any new photos today, but I filled the seam on top of the forward fuselage with superglue and sanded this down nice and smooth. I didn't use putty because there is a lot of re-scribing to do in this area. The intakes are just about blended into the fuselage and wing, but I'll want to get some primer on and see what it looks like before I'll be happy.

I made a 36° included angle template that I can use when setting the main gear legs to the correct splay angle. I then made a very minor modification to the legs (just sanded a bit off of the inner contact surface) and I'm able to position the legs in accordance with the template. A little glue and Bob's yer Uncle. This is a fast and easy way to address the issue, especially when you're lazy like me.    :)

Toodles,

Bill

This is a great build, Bill.

I see you have a bit of a neutral attitude toward the new white metal parts.... very healthy approach.

Still, it is a bit of a disappointment. I had hoped there would be more crisp detail in metal..... oh well, just another indication to be careful I guess in the AM parts available.

I have read G Factor have a very high standard, usually done in brass, but I have not seen any TSR2 parts from them.

Randy 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, massimo said:

I'm really enjoying this build!!!:thumbsup:

Yuo're doing a top class work with those resin sets!!!:like:

Thanks. I've been enjoying your double Jaguar build, what's the status?

16 hours ago, Bendinggrass said:

This is a great build, Bill.

I see you have a bit of a neutral attitude toward the new white metal parts.... very healthy approach.

Still, it is a bit of a disappointment. I had hoped there would be more crisp detail in metal..... oh well, just another indication to be careful I guess in the AM parts available.

I have read G Factor have a very high standard, usually done in brass, but I have not seen any TSR2 parts from them.

Thanks, Randy. AM parts do indeed vary in quality - I've seen some that were quite a bit worse than what came with the kit. When I was building my 1:72 Tigercat, I was really looking forward to using the big detail set from Ares. I used the resin cockpit pieces, but the photoetch gear bay and engine details were just awful. I was quite surprised since I really like their products. But whoever designed this PE for the Tigercat can never have actually tried to use it. Even the photos on the box don't show many of the pieces on the finished model. Because whoever built that model ran into the same problems that I did!

Well, I'm off on holiday starting this Friday morning and will be gone all next week. Florida beckons in the dark of winter. I might have an update before I leave, but if not, well, we'll do it when I get back.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I've never done a what-if, but supposing I thought about it. How would the TSR.2 look in raspberry ripple?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Thanks. I've been enjoying your double Jaguar build, what's the status?

It had come to a point where I missed motivation for coming to an end with the weel bays. thus I decided to start the Ark Royal project to let motivation come back. I re-opened the box where they are temporarily parked last weekend and had a good feeling, so I may be taking them in consideration soon , in parallel with the Gannet.;)

• Like 2

On 1/24/2018 at 7:21 AM, Navy Bird said:

How would the TSR.2 look in raspberry ripple?

Everything looks better in Raspberry Ripple!

I was wondering what scheme you had planned for her.

Your thread has really got me thinking about my next TSR which is this kit (sans the stratos bits). I was thinking of an in-flight pose, wearing the camo top and grey lower scheme proposed for the Eagle. Plenty of time to ponder over it though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canberra kid said:

You've probably know all this Bill but just in case, if you need any photos or drawings let me know I'll see what I have.

<snip>

John

Thanks John. You take such good care of me and my builds. Imagine what the PR.9 would have ended up like if you hadn't kept me on track.   :)

So, one last post before my week in Florida. Not much to report, but I did repair the cut-out in the lower fuselage for the airbrakes. I mistakenly cut out one large notch where the doors attach instead of two smaller slots for the hinge arms themselves. Easy fix with some sheet styrene:

IMG_1757

I finished blending in the intakes, and decided to shoot some primer to see how bad it was. I think it still needs a little work, but considering what it was when we started, maybe not so bad.

IMG_1782

Today I received a nice package with the Odds and Ordnance TSR.2 fin with the leading edge intake. Thanks Alastair! I owe you one.   :)

I'll be back at the workbench in a week or so. I will probably look in on BM once in a while using my phone so I won't be completely out of touch. I'll be out of money, since this little holiday includes all the children, all the grandchildren, a couple of in-laws, who knows who else might turn up. I'm told that it's going to be fun!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

Bill,

While the horde is tearing Disneyworld up, you can sneak out to the Kissimmee Airport and fly one of the T-6's or the two-seat Mustang that is based there. I got an hour of stick time in a T-6G in RCN markings while my family was at the park. Took two weeks, according to the War Department, to wipe the silly grin off my face! Just wish I could have afforded the hour in the Mustang, though! It was a thrill to fly the same type my late father flew in WW2 when he was at Randolph Field for his flight training...now I know what he meant when he said it was a groundlooping beast!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 2

On 1/25/2018 at 6:08 PM, Patrick Martin said:

Was any every carried in the bomb bay?  

PM 

What???

On 1/25/2018 at 6:25 PM, 72modeler said:

...now I know what he meant when he said it was a groundlooping beast!

There is a very good article in the latest Classic Wings Downunder magazine, regarding the T-6 "pilot maker". Much more interesting than I first imagined and it relates that the aircraft was the opposite to what I envisioned, of being an easy to fly machine. This aircraft had to be flown at all times, even when on the ground. Using aileron braking in crosswinds...wow.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I'll be out of money, since this little holiday includes all the children, all the grandchildren, a couple of in-laws, who knows who else might turn up. I'm told that it's going to be fun!

That's what grandpas are supposed to do, I'm afraid ... :D 

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I finished blending in the intakes, and decided to shoot some primer to see how bad it was. I think it still needs a little work, but considering what it was when we started, maybe not so bad.

They look excellent to me :clap: I can't see anything that needs more work, even on the big screen ...

Enjoy Disneyland Florida :D

Ciao

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hairystick said:

What???

There is a very good article in the latest Classic Wings Downunder magazine, regarding the T-6 "pilot maker". Much more interesting than I first imagined and it relates that the aircraft was the opposite to what I envisioned, of being an easy to fly machine. This aircraft had to be flown at all times, even when on the ground. Using aileron braking in crosswinds...wow.

Did the TRS.2 ever carry anything within the bomb bay?