This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Navy Bird

1:72 Airfix BAC TSR.2

Beautiful work Bill :)

Others have already confirmed that the u/c design was to allow deployment of the aircraft to old airfields, most of which were grass and not maintained.

Spyflight.co.uk states that "XR220 was hidden away in a hanger on the far side of RAF Henlow airfield for many years, with all its internal equipment ripped out and the wiring cut, rather than disconnected, to prevent to aircraft ever being resurrected, and was eventually placed on display at RAF Cosford's Aerospace Museum."

I remember seeing her tail through the window of the 'Top Secret' hanger whilst on 'airfield runs' during my training there. Seeing her at Cosford is a lot more comfortable, I have to say (unless you bang your head on the aerial!)

I for one would be happy to meet up in May. If you can't wangle a trip to Cosford then the RAF Museum is near London and Hannants have a shop just down the road. Their stock is limited there now but they do send orders there from the warehouse. Just saying. :)

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I cheated, though, and only put in four lines when there should be five.

No one would have noticed if you didn't say! )))

What THEY ALL SAID  there is nothing else to say!

Roger 

Well Bill,  you are creating an absolute masterpiece of a model there and one of an aircraft that is surely at the heart of every UK based aviation fan.

All the lovely comments show just what the TSR2 means to us all and your flawless work is a fine tribute to the old girl.

Really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Phil

Wonderful looking model. It does look a bit strange now it's on its feet but I'm sure it will look great with all the flying surfaces on! The RAF Museum was a bit topsy-turvy last time I was there, and they seem to be breaking up the Battle of Britain collection and sending some of the aeroplanes to Cosford. I'm not sure that you are into the time period (1900s through 1930s), but the Shuttleworth Collection is relatively close to London and based in a country estate with a House and Garden to look around for those that aren't aeroplane minded.

Regards,

Adrian

I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, I'm just not gobsmacked.

Funnily enough Bill that was exactly my sentiment when first I opened the box way back in 2006...and probably why it still languishes, half-started in the overcrowded 'Hall of Lost Interests' here in the East Wing. Although the 1/48th version has many more shape issues it just seemed more fun to sort that lot out than have at this 'tiddler', maybe because it's such a big lump of plastic. I also bought all the resin and PE add-ons for it but even they didn't really persuade me....mind you looking at this:hmmm: 

That is a great looking model and is to a standard I could only dream about.

As to viewing the real thing, the Duxford example is geographically more convenient to you. Cambridge is not too far so maybe a deal can be struck with Mrs Navy Bird? Don't forget you can tap into our collective knowledge for places to accidentally 'find' and we are more knowledgeable/biased/whatever than Trip Advisor!

Trevor

What a clean build!!!

It looks like it was pre-moulded all in one piece...

Outstanding!!!

Now I know who inspired the guys in Cosford for their bigger scale build!!!:rofl: