1:72 Airfix BAC TSR.2

Beautiful work Bill :)

Others have already confirmed that the u/c design was to allow deployment of the aircraft to old airfields, most of which were grass and not maintained.

Spyflight.co.uk states that "XR220 was hidden away in a hanger on the far side of RAF Henlow airfield for many years, with all its internal equipment ripped out and the wiring cut, rather than disconnected, to prevent to aircraft ever being resurrected, and was eventually placed on display at RAF Cosford's Aerospace Museum."

I remember seeing her tail through the window of the 'Top Secret' hanger whilst on 'airfield runs' during my training there. Seeing her at Cosford is a lot more comfortable, I have to say (unless you bang your head on the aerial!)

I for one would be happy to meet up in May. If you can't wangle a trip to Cosford then the RAF Museum is near London and Hannants have a shop just down the road. Their stock is limited there now but they do send orders there from the warehouse. Just saying. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well Bill,  you are creating an absolute masterpiece of a model there and one of an aircraft that is surely at the heart of every UK based aviation fan.

All the lovely comments show just what the TSR2 means to us all and your flawless work is a fine tribute to the old girl.

Really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Phil

• Like 1

Wonderful looking model. It does look a bit strange now it's on its feet but I'm sure it will look great with all the flying surfaces on! The RAF Museum was a bit topsy-turvy last time I was there, and they seem to be breaking up the Battle of Britain collection and sending some of the aeroplanes to Cosford. I'm not sure that you are into the time period (1900s through 1930s), but the Shuttleworth Collection is relatively close to London and based in a country estate with a House and Garden to look around for those that aren't aeroplane minded.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, I'm just not gobsmacked.

Funnily enough Bill that was exactly my sentiment when first I opened the box way back in 2006...and probably why it still languishes, half-started in the overcrowded 'Hall of Lost Interests' here in the East Wing. Although the 1/48th version has many more shape issues it just seemed more fun to sort that lot out than have at this 'tiddler', maybe because it's such a big lump of plastic. I also bought all the resin and PE add-ons for it but even they didn't really persuade me....mind you looking at this:hmmm: 

• Like 3

That is a great looking model and is to a standard I could only dream about.

As to viewing the real thing, the Duxford example is geographically more convenient to you. Cambridge is not too far so maybe a deal can be struck with Mrs Navy Bird? Don't forget you can tap into our collective knowledge for places to accidentally 'find' and we are more knowledgeable/biased/whatever than Trip Advisor!

Trevor

• Like 2

On 2/23/2018 at 2:48 AM, CedB said:

I for one would be happy to meet up in May. If you can't wangle a trip to Cosford then the RAF Museum is near London and Hannants have a shop just down the road. Their stock is limited there now but they do send orders there from the warehouse. Just saying. :)

A visit to Hendon with Ced is not to be missed. Hannants Minor is a little disappointing, but I still bought something.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Procopius said:

A visit to Hendon with Ced is not to be missed. Hannants Minor is a little disappointing, but I still bought something.

Of course you bought something, you have to keep building that collection so you can bequeath it to your kids. I think it's more personal than just leaving them money.   :)

For sure I'm trying to work the RAF Museum into my schedule. If only Memsahib would stop scheduling all that tourist stuff...however, she has offered to come along to an airplane museum as long as she can bring her Kindle. She said she'd take 10 minutes and look at the planes, then find a seat and read one of her books while I read all the signs in the museum. I suppose that will work.

Does anyone know when they will re-open the Milestones of Flight and Battle of Britain hangars? The website says "summer" but doesn't give a date. It looks pretty easy to get to from our hotel in Central London (near Westminster). Two tubes and a bus, 45-50 minutes. We'll have those Oyster cards - what zone is Hendon?

I'll have an update on the TSR.2 in a bit.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Does anyone know when they will re-open the Milestones of Flight and Battle of Britain hangars? The website says "summer" but doesn't give a date. It looks pretty easy to get to from our hotel in Central London (near Westminster). Two tubes and a bus, 45-50 minutes. We'll have those Oyster cards - what zone is Hendon?

At a guess, they'll re-open for the centenary of the air force? April 1st, isn't it...

Catch the tube to Colindale (it's in zone 4) and I've always ankle-expressed it to the museum. It isn't too far.

• Like 2

On 26/02/2018 at 00:53, Procopius said:

Thanks PC :)

Bill I'd be happy to meet up and/or drive you up to Hendon in my little VW Golf - the offer's there :)

Oyster cards are OK but you can now use contactless cards if you have them - explained on the TFL website here.

Just keep them safe, like all your valuables, to avoid being scanned/scammed or pick-pocketed on 'the tube' - there are, sadly, still some undesirable types in the Capital!

• Like 1

A bus ride at the museum end may not be necessary. Northern Line to Colindale (and not confusingly Hendon!), turn left outside the Tube and a ten-ish minute walk to the museum, where on the way you can soak in the......architectural splendidness that is Colindale! Check it out on Google Street View. 

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You could sit her in the little cafeteria surrounded by helicopters to read her Kindle

She might 'get it' surrounded by atmosphere and will even be within yards of Royalty

The Royal Flight Wessex is in full view from the cafe

Whatever, you enjoy your visit, Ced is a fabulous host and a great chap

• Like 1

7 hours ago, perdu said:

Whatever, you enjoy your visit, Ced is a fabulous host and a great chap

So I've heard! Wifey may go off on her own to do some "Chocolate Ecstasy" tour. We're still trying to get our schedule firm - we have some day trips planned (Stonehenge/Bath, Warwick Castle/Stratford upon Avon) but most of the time we'll be kicking around central London being touristy. We don't do that Ugly American thing though. We're staying at St. Ermin's Hotel, and it seems like the tube entrance is very close.

@CedB, do you have any schedule limitations or are you wild and carefree like us other retirees? Right now it looks like Thursday 5/24 or Saturday 5/26 are candidates. Unless we get an invite from Her Majesty, of course.

3 hours ago, Screech said:

Looking good Bill, will you have it on the tables for BUFFCon by chance?  Would love to see it in person if it's finished!

I doubt it, I don't think it's very good.   :(

Main gear doors are on, as are the Aylesbury Ties. I hate the gear doors. I used the CMK pieces, and they're all a bit undersize. Plus, they hide all the nice detail in the wheel wells. The vertical and horizontal tail pieces are painted and stickered, I just need to put them on the model where they belong. The canopies are finished and ready to go on, which will probably be the last thing to do.

Arghh, I forgot all about the bomb bay doors. I think I have them in resin somewhere...oh, and those little auxiliary intake doors. Fiddly little buggers. Back to the bench!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

we have some day trips planned ...Warwick Castle

What??? If you are going there you'll be almost exactly in the middle between TWO tsr2's!

Perhaps stay a night somewhere around the castle and day trip it to Cosford? Return to Londonshire after that visit.

16 minutes ago, hairystick said:

What??? If you are going there you'll be almost exactly in the middle between TWO tsr2's!

Perhaps stay a night somewhere around the castle and day trip it to Cosford? Return to Londonshire after that visit.

We'll be on an organised tour, so we wouldn't be able to do that. Unless we went AWOL from the tour bus, but then I'd have to rent a car, and I have a nasty habit of driving anti-clockwise through roundabouts. I'd probably hurt somebody!   :yikes:

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

We'll be on an organised tour, so we wouldn't be able to do that. Unless we went AWOL from the tour bus, but then I'd have to rent a car, and I have a nasty habit of driving anti-clockwise through roundabouts. I'd probably hurt somebody!   :yikes:

Cheers,

Bill

Ahhh. OK. That makes things a little different.

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

@CedB, do you have any schedule limitations or are you wild and carefree like us other retirees? Right now it looks like Thursday 5/24 or Saturday 5/26 are candidates. Unless we get an invite from Her Majesty, of course.

Wild and carefree Bill!

Both dates pencilled in the diary. Our daughters are in London so we may schedule a trip to, ahem, coincide :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Bill

I was in Warwick Castle last week and blimey it was cold outside being just above freezing and a cold wind. We arrived there for about 10:30 when they had a guided tour. There are other tours throughout the day too. Be aware though that car parking is £6 and that’s before you get in!

I climbed up one of the two turrets and it was hard. My legs ached for days.

Some pix to whet your appetite

Motte and bailey site at one end of the courtyard

25660234547_be7b6d55c1_b.jpg

Main Hall

26659641418_98ec53fa47_b.jpg

An armoured horsey and it’s driver

38720528190_e0d4403194_b.jpg

Enjoy your trip!

Trevor

• Like 4

Been to Warwick castle twice, first time in the summer. Second time was in November, just a few days after SMW at Donnington. Although a fantastic place, I definitely prefer a summertime visit. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I have a nasty habit of driving anti-clockwise through roundabouts. I'd probably hurt somebody!   :yikes:

My mother-in-law used to do that (I'm not joking). It was one of life's more 'interesting' experiences :pray:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Cheers,

Bill

If you colonials would see sense and start driving on the correct side of the road it wouldn't be a problem. However I would be prepared to pick you up in Sarah-Jane if it helps.

Martian

• Like 1