1:72 Airfix BAC TSR.2

5 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Since everything is better with whisky, I am often an advocate of a wee dram while I work. Haven't tried it in the paint, yet, but...

I've often found that things go better with a good Kentucky bourbon, myself. I recommend Buffalo Trace for sipping. Any cheap whiskey such as Four Roses will do for adding to paint.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

I've often found that things go better with a good Kentucky bourbon, myself. I recommend Buffalo Trace for sipping. Any cheap whiskey such as Four Roses will do for adding to paint.

I'm not into dark spirits myself. I prefer clear ones. I've found that a good slug of gin works wonders at any time of day. And in any situation.

The only bourbon I've ever drunk was Southern Comfort when I was a student very many years ago. That resulted in a rather unfortunate 'lost weekend' and I've never repeated it. However, I was given a bottle of Woodford Reserve for Christmas which looks rather good (get thee behind me Satan). I haven't opened it yet but I certainly won't let it go to waste.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I have to ask, though, if vodka and X-20A are substitutes, does this mean that you drink Tamiya if you run out of vodka? 

No, vodka is cheaper! )))

17 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I also did some random application of Gunze off-white, trying to follow the photos of XR220 and duplicate the areas where the finish looks aged and/or yellowed/dirty. No luck, this resulted in a very odd looking finish. I then sprayed over the top of that with a very thin mix of the base white to tone everything back down. I think my plan now is to do the panel line wash, and then pick out certain panels and the radome to do in a bright white and see if that adds some more interest.

I do not know if I did the right thing with my XR220.
But I know for sure that quick access hatches and etc. should be different from the basic color of the entire fuselage.
I think this is the key!

• Like 2

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 09:55, Timmas said:

Hi Bill

I've been watching this with fascination (and in awe) as I'm also building a 1:72 TSR2 at the moment. Mine is the earlier boxing though, not the Statos / Anime one. 

I found your thread after searching the forums. I originally came across the mind-boggling one that @Seversky did, then the one by @Martian Hale . :yikes:Your's is going to be stunning too :jealous: and I have to confess that, because I have nowhere near the skill or experience that you have, I'm using your thread as something of a guide on 'how to do it'. I hope you don't mind.

I did wonder about creating a topic of my own but decided not to as I don't want to find myself making a huge cock-up in the full glare of the BM community! At least, not yet. I'll hold off until I get more experience under my belt. What I will do though is upload it once it's done (if it looks ok:pray:) and ask for critical comments. I have no idea when that might be as I'm nowhere near the painting stage yet.

Anyway, I'll keep following and hope that mine ends up somewhere (anywhere) near as good as your's is shaping up to be, as well as those of the other guys mentioned above.

Thanks for publishing it.

Tim

Tim, I think you should put your TSR2 Build up on BM. No-one is going to disrespect it and all the help and advice you may need is on hand. Anyway I like seeing TSR2 builds.

Martian

• Like 5

This has been a right royal pain.

IMG_1819

To be honest, I don't like it. When that happens, I'd rather work on something else. Anyway, I think I'll tone this down some more by shooting some highly thinned white over the top.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 17

I see your point, Bill. A toning down with highly diluted white sounds just right to me. It's going to look terrific :clap:

Ciao

PS: I use tempera paints for my panle line washes, because it's very easy to modulate and to remove, if you don't like the effect. Just my :2c:

Edited by giemme
  • Like 3

Bill I’m an arch-hater of panel line washes but your photo reminds me of a beautiful, often-reproduced air-to-air of XR219 that clearly shows every panel joint on the wings.  Oddly enough the fuselage skin joints seam (see what I did there?) less prominent.  In this case I think you’re pretty damned close on the wings, maybe tone down some of the fuselage joints a bit?

• Like 1

Hi Bill - one method I've used when you only want to highlight certain panel lines is to use a sharp 2H pencil or similar to trace around the panel groove - easy to remove with wet tissue if necessary

CJP

Bill, the sad thing is when I finish my TSR.2, it will be only half as good as yours. If I'm lucky! I think what I'm going to do with mine, is just paint it white and then never dust it. Come to think of it I never dust the models I have that aren't white either...

Regards,

jason

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stever219 said:

Bill I’m an arch-hater of panel line washes but your photo reminds me of a beautiful, often-reproduced air-to-air of XR219 that clearly shows every panel joint on the wings.  Oddly enough the fuselage skin joints seam (see what I did there?) less prominent.  In this case I think you’re pretty damned close on the wings, maybe tone down some of the fuselage joints a bit?

I'm not a big fan of panel line washes either, but on an all-white fuselage they help add some interest. I've toned them down a bit since I took that photo. In real life, they look quite delicate, especially those on top of the wing and around the joints with the fuselage. I think once the transfers are on, along with the canopies, tyres, etc. things will be OK.

I have been using that photo as a guide. It's on the cover of McLelland's book.

Gear wells, bomb bay, and avionics bay have received their coat of light grey. Some detail painting to follow this evening. Maybe some stickers tomorrow.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

To be honest, I agree with you Bill, for what it's worth I'd also tone them down slightly, panel lines on white can be a bit problematic, I'm not a fan of them as you know but on something all-white like this I prefer to use light grey tones to avoid overdoing it, so muted is the way to go. As you say the bright national insignia and stencils will take the eye away from them in any case.

• Like 2