1:72 Airfix BAC TSR.2

Just to clear things up regarding the NWS.

The NWS master switch is selected. This puts the system into fine, so, connected to the fin & 12 degrees maximum deflection.

To taxy, a separate switch (spring loaded to fine) is selected for coarse. Up to 90 degrees available and the fin is not connected.

If the master switch is not selected or there is a system failure, then the NWS reverts to caster.

Sounds about right to me.

Nice modelling, Bill.

Pete

• Like 3

Superb modelling Bill!  I was lucky enough to sit in the Cosford TSR2 in 2000 and was blown away at the size of the thing.  Coming from a Tornado, which had a few steps up to the cockpit, the TSR2 cockpit is seriously high up.  I along with many, lament the failure of this project: I would just love to have flown the machine on the front line.  You are doing an awesome job of commemorating a quite unique aircraft!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Thanks guys. I always enjoy learning about all this stuff. I think I may pose the TSR.2 with the nose wheel turned but not the fin. It seems that was possible with the real aircraft and it will add some interest. Besides, the flight crew have already broken all of the rules for parking your aeroplane - wing and taileron control surfaces off of neutral, air brakes open, etc. They're going to be buying more than one round tonight!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

How about a very simple diorama Bill?  Jet with wheel chocks in place, tow bar ahead of nosewheels ready to be hooked on and a bemused-looking "erk" looking at it?  Might save the crew a few beers: "The linerys left it like that boss, honest!".

• Like 1

She's all primed now.

IMG_1810

IMG_1811

Now comes the fun part - white. Which happens to be the colour I like painting the least. Monotone paint schemes are always a challenge to make look realistic, and I think that white may be the worst monotone of all.

I've spent some time looking over the stunning 1:48 scale build done by @Seversky, and if I understand my Russian well enough (from his WIP), he used a combination of Mr. Color Off-White along with another brand of "regular" white. The effect that he achieved is quite stunning, and I would love to copy the technique (imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all that). My bottle of Gunze Off-White looks awfully warm though...almost like a very pale cream. I don't see a tone like that in the colour photos of XR220. But, I could post shade on top of the off-white and tone it down (up?) a bit. Just thinking out loud (or is it out of my fingertips?).

Since I'm modelling XR220, which never flew and is in a museum, there's really not a lot of weathering that can or should be done. Aging might be a better word for it. If I want to keep my collection consistent, the white used on the TSR.2 should not be significantly different that what I used on my Buccaneer lest it look out of place. I'll think of something!    :hypnotised:

IMG_1129

I'm also not entirely happy with the seams left by joining the wing to the fuselage. I think these are on natural panel lines, but they are somewhat inconsistent in depth. I don't want to fill them and lose them, though, just want to even them up a bit. Hmm. In any event, I've got my taxes done and Memsahib says I can keep some of the return for myself. Not a lot mind you, but a bit. A wee bit.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 18

Coming along very nicely Bill. A million things I'd forgotten about the thing until looking through the thread. The aircraft had a slightly glossy sheen to its finish and in the case of XR220 the panels have been removed many times leaving the surface with a lovely 'used look' about it. I'd go for a bit of modulation with certain panels to break up the stark monotony.......why do you think I went for a 'what-if' ! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I've spent some time looking over the stunning 1:48 scale build done by @Seversky, and if I understand my Russian well enough (from his WIP), he used a combination of Mr. Color Off-White along with another brand of "regular" white. The effect that he achieved is quite stunning, and I would love to copy the technique (imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all that). My bottle of Gunze Off-White looks awfully warm though...almost like a very pale cream. I don't see a tone like that in the colour photos of XR220. But, I could post shade on top of the off-white and tone it down (up?) a bit. Just thinking out loud (or is it out of my fingertips?).

Thank you!
I always liked flattery! ))))
Yes, I used a combination of two primary colors, plus a pre-shading.
Panels of fast access, radiotransparent fairings are painted white color, and the rest in the off-white color. I did it so that the "white bird" did not look boring.
You are on the right track, and I think that your TSR.2 will get even better!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I don't see a tone like that in the colour photos of XR220.

Maybe...
I did not see this Bird alive (((
I think we should study the real color of the anti-flash camouflage of the V-bombers of 60s.
It was in this color was painted TSR.2 

White Ensign Models produced High Speed White (see Canberra Kid's post below, thanks John) aka Anti-Flash White in their Colourcoats range which has been taken over by Sovereign Hobbies.  IIRC this is a "cold" white, with possibly a very pale blue cast to it rather than the warmer, vaguely cream whites that some paints seem to be.

On the subject of weathering and ageing for XR220 she was (finally) due to fly on April 6th 1965: to achieve this she should have undergone engine runs and taxi tests, potentially up to rotation speed to check control response.  That being the case I would expect some grot to have been accumulated, for instance around the engine accessory bay doors, avionics bay doors (the fasteners for these appear quite prominent in many photos) and some heat-staining of the paint on the fuselage below the flaps and trailing edge as the air for flap-blowing was tapped from the engine compressors and would certainly have been hotter than 1000C (if the temperatures for the air bleeds on the Nimrod are anything to go by it could have been as high as 4000C).

Having seen both survivors, and the forward fuselage test specimen T5, the panel joints even now are not all that conspicuous despite all having had less than ideal treatment at various times  in their lives.  XR222 has been repainted at least once but I think '220 is more original, but has probably been bulled-up for display purposes.

Edited by stever219
Better information from Canberra Kid!
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Seversky said:

Maybe...
I did not see this Bird alive (((
I think we should study the real color of the anti-flash camouflage of the V-bombers of 60s.
It was in this color was painted TSR.2 

The official colour finish for TSR. 2 was High Speed White.

John

• Like 2

Thanks guys!

Colourcoats show this colour as BS4800/5252 00E55. Here is a digital representation of this colour along with alternate close matches in other paint systems:

http://www.e-paint.co.uk/Colour_alternatives.asp?cRange=BS 4800/5252&cRef=00 E 55&metallic2=False&cDescription=White

Judging by the L* a* b*, CMYK, sRGB and HLC Values, it's a pretty neutral colour. Not much of a tint to it, at least when it's new. What happens with age is another story.

IMG_1812

So, she's now white. This is a base coat of Testors Semi-Gloss White which is one of the few Testors paints that I like. I'm not ready to proceed any further with painting until I do something about those wing seams. I thought they might look OK under a coat of white, but they actually are more pronounced then they were with the primer. So here we go - hand me the PPP.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I thought they might look OK under a coat of white, but they actually are more pronounced then they were with the primer. So here we go - hand me the PPP.   :)

I see what you mean, Bill. She looks sweet, though :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1

A B value of 3.53 is quite a strong yellow component for a "white"

If the ab coordinates were kept and the L value dialed down to 50odd it would be quite a noticable colour :)

The TSR2 looks good as it is however; I wouldn't suggest changing anything you have done :D

5 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

A B value of 3.53 is quite a strong yellow component for a "white"

Wouldn't that make it slightly warm? Maybe that's why I like the Gunze off-white that Seversky used.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Hi Bill

I've been watching this with fascination (and in awe) as I'm also building a 1:72 TSR2 at the moment. Mine is the earlier boxing though, not the Statos / Anime one. 

I found your thread after searching the forums. I originally came across the mind-boggling one that @Seversky did, then the one by @Martian Hale . :yikes:Your's is going to be stunning too :jealous: and I have to confess that, because I have nowhere near the skill or experience that you have, I'm using your thread as something of a guide on 'how to do it'. I hope you don't mind.

I did wonder about creating a topic of my own but decided not to as I don't want to find myself making a huge cock-up in the full glare of the BM community! At least, not yet. I'll hold off until I get more experience under my belt. What I will do though is upload it once it's done (if it looks ok:pray:) and ask for critical comments. I have no idea when that might be as I'm nowhere near the painting stage yet.

Anyway, I'll keep following and hope that mine ends up somewhere (anywhere) near as good as your's is shaping up to be, as well as those of the other guys mentioned above.

Thanks for publishing it.

Tim

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Timmas said:

Anyway, I'll keep following and hope that mine ends up somewhere (anywhere) near as good as your's is shaping up to be, as well as those of the other guys mentioned above.

Еyes are afraid and hands are doing! )))

• Like 1