M31 Recovery Vehicle

Andy Moore

I'm sorry I missed it, but I have not gone through the GBST thread until yesterday, that I'm going to start with my kit, and I see that there are already great progresses everywhere ...

As usual, fantastic job, I like a lot of paint and weathering...:popcorn:

Cheers Andy :goodjob:

• Like 1

I've been busy on some other projects for most of the last week, but some progress has been made on the M31. There were a couple of things I needed to sort out before the lower track run can be added. The idlers were painted with AK true metal (their version of rub and buff) then polished up. The return rollers also needed their rims painting, but it was too tight to get in with the true metal (which can be a little messy to use in confined spots), so they were painted with a regular dark steel acrylic. The cable roller on the rear tow hook attachment was buffed up with graphite powder. The upper track run has also been painted in dark rust for the connectors and rubber for the pads

39742277714_140eb04707_b.jpg

The three spare wheels have been added to the front hull, and I've started to add some grimy weathering here and there. Apart from the initial pin washes, most of the weathering so far has been done with acrylics

39742275924_3750afaea4_b.jpg

39742274144_a9562aa246_b.jpg

I've added some initial streaking on the sides, again with acrylics. The paints were mixed with a glaze medium to slow the drying time and make them more blendable

38642441080_1b4ee4b887_b.jpg

39742270364_ba84ca3005_b.jpg

I've added a tarp to the back, made from tissue soaked in watered-down PVA and paint. I'll be adding some more of these later to help bed in the stowage

38642437680_102743bb23_b.jpg

38642442780_d896a70e7d_b.jpg

Now I've finished painting the running gear, I can add the lower track runs and start weathering the lower hull

Andy:cat:

• Like 10

Hi,

I just read this thread this morning and as always, your work is a true lesson of modelling, Andy !!

Gave me some idea for my on-going Sherman project ...

Cheers, E

• Like 1

On 24/02/2018 at 9:40 AM, AndyRM101 said:

Apart from the initial pin washes, most of the weathering so far has been done with acrylics

How on earth do you get acrylics to cooperate like that.....I'd be up to my eyeballs in tide-marks!  :o

• Like 1

On 02/03/2018 at 01:00, Sgt.Squarehead said:

How on earth do you get acrylics to cooperate like that.....I'd be up to my eyeballs in tide-marks!  :o

Depends on the paint. I've got a few Lifecolor paints that I use for weathering, and they're pretty blendable. I just paint them where I want them, then use a clean damp brush to feather and blend the edge. If I'm using Vallejo I'll normally add some drying retarder, then I can use them almost like oil paints.

In general I try to keep them as neat (undiluted) as possible. I tend to find the more you water the paint down, the more likely you are to get tide marks.

Not a lot done this week, mainly down to my workroom being the wrong side of 10 degrees thanks to a dicky radiator. Sorted now, but it put me a little behind where I'd hoped to be at by now.

The tracks are in place and I've started weathering the lower hull. Just pigments scrubbed on and fixed with enamel thinner for now. The suspension units and wheels have had some preliminary dust washes. Both the suspension and the hull will get further work later on

40599318521_7e47971f76_b.jpg

There's a bit more weathering on the back, and the tarp I draped over the rear crane support has been dirtied up with some oily washes

40599321031_13088b3128_b.jpg

So, this is how it's looking right now. Still quite a bit to do. More dirt and dust on the upper hull, then the ladder and bucket, and all the rest of the stowage needs painting up and attaching

40599322821_c8a7da9d9e_b.jpg

40599324911_ae7827a109_b.jpg

• Like 11

Hopefully getting a little closer to the end now. The upper hull's had some dust weathering. The base for that was a hairspray chipped mist coat of acrylic, but a lot of that's been subsequently covered with pigments and more mist coats. There've been dust washes around the rivets on the hull and around the edges of the cupola, and a lot more oil grime and fuel stains around the engine deck and rear end.

26885376948_c1e2715d71_b.jpg

The fake gun/entry door is on now. It's only open a little, but you can just about see the fire extinguisher on the inside

26885375838_79a78f0c03_b.jpg

The front mounted stowage box has had some general tools added together with some oily rags to fill out the space a little. Point of note; it turns out, from looking at an operating manual page, that this box, and the one above it on the hull roof, were actually meant to specifically hold the track grousers. Had I known this beforehand I'd probably have left them closed and used the kit parts rather than scratch build new ones. As it is, I'm just using them as general stowage bins. Not entirely accurate, but hopefully not that big a deal in the general scheme of things

40713200082_14cf967e77_b.jpg

I'm also playing around with the general positioning of the stowage on the rear. I've got some jerry cans to add, and maybe some chain to hang somewhere (and the bucket of course)

26885374258_f8ef97f0ed_b.jpg

26885370508_2779520e06_b.jpg

40713193732_2304a32aba_b.jpg

26885366048_768cdbc7b7_b.jpg

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

The front mounted stowage box has had some general tools added together with some oily rags to fill out the space a little. Point of note; it turns out, from looking at an operating manual page, that this box, and the one above it on the hull roof, were actually meant to specifically hold the track grousers. Had I known this beforehand I'd probably have left them closed and used the kit parts rather than scratch build new ones. As it is, I'm just using them as general stowage bins. Not entirely accurate, but hopefully not that big a deal in the general scheme of things

No doubt as soon as they were operating in the field the crew would use a convenient storage box to keep all sort is useful equipment in, regardless of what the designers had actually intended it to be used for.

• Like 1

That is looking great Andy.

32 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

(and the bucket of course)

I too am relieved that is still going to be there :)

OT, how are you balancing the model for the photos?  It looks as if you are using a camera tripod, but if I did that, I'd worry about dropping the kit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Richard E said:

No doubt as soon as they were operating in the field the crew would use a convenient storage box to keep all sort is useful equipment in, regardless of what the designers had actually intended it to be used for.

Good point. I think it works with the war-weary look of the vehicle

8 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

OT, how are you balancing the model for the photos?  It looks as if you are using a camera tripod, but if I did that, I'd worry about dropping the kit.

Yes, it is a tripod Robert. Just a cheap mini one from ebay. I often use them as painting supports. When the legs are closed together they make a convenient handle while doing detail painting and weathering, and when they're opened up they make a stand while the paint dries, or like here, for taking photos. I just drill a 5mm hole in the base of the hull to mount the tripod to.

• Thanks 2