A good place to start

StuCrew

Greetings collective genius,

im usually an aircraft guy but I've seen some of the outstanding work here and I'm getting the urge to try my hand at some armour. 

If if you could pick one or two kits to introduce some one what would they be? 

Thanks in advance,

Stu

Every Military Vehicle collection should have a Jeep in it! I built the Italeri 1/35 Jeep about 13 years ago, and modified it in 2010 to a Follow Me Jeep. I have just bought another to build as a Jeep still in its packing crate. I don't recall any serious issues putting it together. It was bought to measure and scale up to 1:1 scale, to see if a real Jeep would fit in my garage next to my trailer as space was very tight. The real Jeep did fit, so it must be fairly accurate!! There are photo etch detail sets also availble for the 1/35 scale model.

jeep_41.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force

Hi Stu

Like you I'm an aircraft modeller but have enjoyed a little armour modelling (or targets as they can be referred to). First one i tried was the old Tamiya 1/35 Panzer ii easy to find on ebay, cheap and goes together pretty quick and without problems.

Good luck Darryl 

20171224_141322.jpg

You've been given plenty of options for kits to build, so all I would add to that is some to avoid. Don't go for anything from Bronco or Miniart. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them, in fact they're very good. The problem for anyone not used to them is in Bronco's case, some of the parts are so small and fiddly, that it could put a newcomer to AFV's off. The same applies to Miniart. Tamiya would be my choice. Accurate, fit well and go together usually without problems.

John.

It's still modelling, but usually with more wheels than aeroplanes! In the main, the same rules apply such and painting and building sub assemblies. Look for lots of original wartime pictures for weathering reference. Take your time and enjoy it!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, StuCrew said:

Alright. Finally bitten the bullet and ordered the valentine! Wish me luck 😋

Great choice.

Part way through one and its a lovely kit and easy to build. Will you be doing a WIP? 

Regards.

Steve