RAF Grumman Tomcat FGR 1

A new Work in Progress thread, picking up on the construction of the Tamiya F14, released many moons ago and a project I started soon after the kit was released. 

Over on the What-If Forum I suggested that rather than scrap this part built kit because it didn't fit my RAF Focus I could finish it as a Gulf War model, in RAF Desert Pink, as per the Jaguar, etc. 

The hypothesis was that if the Tornado had proved to be a disaster, or had followed the TSR2 into the scrap heap then we could have seen the F14 in RAF service. 

As others have posted, and I've discovered researching this magnificent airframe, it is not as fanciful an idea as one might think. The USN used the F14 as an air superiority fighter, but the Tomcat 21 program was developed as an option instead of the F18. 

Politics killed it. There are even a few people speculating that the Tomcat could be resurrected to replace the disastrous F35 project...!! 

To the kit. 

Whilst the model has the sort of fine detailing one might expect from Tamiya the fit between parts is generally poor. 

The first two photos show the amount of filler needed on the centre section. 

Tomcat-FGR-1_1.jpg

Tomcat-FGR-1_2.jpg

I've test fitted the front cockpit section to the centre section and there is a bad step on the underside: the joint will need quite a bit off work and possibly the use of epoxy as the contact area isn't that large. 

The wing section needs is screwed to the centre section. 

I've part finished some of the sub assemblies, but other than the Sidewinder missiles and external fuel tanks the load has to be gulf war RAF.  

So, I've ordered from David J Parkins the following:

2 RAF ALARM missiles. One of these will go with a Sidewinder on the port inner wing pylon, the other on the rear centreline mount. 

2 1000lb Paveway II bombs, these will go on the front under centre section mounts, wher the US Navy Phoenix missiles would have been, 

1 TILAD Pod, this will go on the starboard inner wing pylon, tofether with a Sidewinder. 

As work progresses I'll report. 

All comments, suggestions, etc welcome! 

• Like 9

Interesting project, I like seeing these What Ifs.

Any thoughts on squadron markings? Imagine a Tomcat in green/grey wrap round camo with big bright squadron markings like a late 80s RAF Germany Tornado! 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Interesting project, I like seeing these What Ifs.

Any thoughts on squadron markings? Imagine a Tomcat in green/grey wrap round camo with big bright squadron markings like a late 80s RAF Germany Tornado! 

I'm going to do an overall Desert Pink from Operation Granby, not sure which squadron. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ive just about finished the cockpit, just need some seatbelts and the black bands on the yellow ejector seat grips. 

The U/C legs are also finished, after a LOT of research I've used a light grey/white. There seems some debate about the exact colour of the Tornado insides...some say white, some say grey white. 

So i've gone with grey white as I like it! 

This is what the bits look like:

IMG_0325.jpg

I also splashed out £44 on some things to hang from the Tomcat, in addition to the kit Sidewinders. 

IMG_0326.jpg

This is going to be interesting as I've never used PE Brass before...!

Also, the next big step is to join the front of the fuselage to the wings and after body. Getting a good strong join without any gaps/steps will need some reinforcing strips and possibly a self tapping screw.. yes, I know....!

Wish me luck. 

• Like 7

I have joined the front and mid sections, a terrible join, needing much reinforcement. 

It is going to be a rather large model.....

Biger-than-I-thought.jpg

A lot of filling to do. Interestingly, the detail on the front section is all recessed, on the rear is all raised. 

It almost looks as if two teams worked on each part. 

I also put a first thin brush coat of Desert Sand on the tailplanes. I have 2 tins of Humbrol 250, but not the same lot and the tin lids looked a bit different.  

This photo shows the two, one is noticeably more pink than the other...

Two-Tins.jpg

My solution is to mix both this together...!

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

The Tomcat has taken a bit of a back seat whilst I worked on the Beaufighter, now she is done it is time to move on.....

T have completed the U/C and body of the Tomcat, and given everything a first cost of primer. Naturally this has shown up imperfections that will require some more filling and sanding. 

This is the state of play, the cockpit is completed, but will remain hidden until the canopy goes on at the end. 

Primer-Sprayed-2.jpg

Primer-Sprayed-1.jpg

It is a BIG model, one and a half cans of Humbrol Primer 1 so far.... 

I have 3 tinlets of Hu 250 for the final colour....

More as it happens! 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

The photos above show the joint between the wing and fuselage all too well.

Unfortunately on the real thing these joints are not visible, so quite a lot of filling is needed. 

The fit of the fins is also less than perfect, so more filler. 

Overall this kit shows it age, it first appeared in 1983 and has been periodically updated by Tamiya, once in 94 and then in 2003. These upgrade are mostly to do with weapons fit changes: as I'm using RAF weapons on this "What If"I can mostly ignore the age of the kit. 

Back in 83 it seemed to be a big advance on the Revell and Airfix kits of the day, especially in detail. But in terms of fit and "designed in joint hiding" it is still a long way from recent releases by the leading brands.

Filled-1.jpg

I rubbed down and gave a quick primer re-spray, this made it clear more work is needed...

It is a difficult job as I don't want to lose any of the engraved detail, but especially at the rear joint there is a mis-alignment of almost 1mm. With hindsight I should have glued some reinforcing strips to the fuselage and packed up the centre section a tad. 

Too late now, I stuck it with epoxy as the joining area is quite small. 

I'm looking forward to getting past this stage and spraying on the "Desert Pink"! 

The next post will be when I've done that! 

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

18 Months later....

I got distracted by retiring, building the 1/24th Airfix F6F and some other stuff....

Progress, 

spacer.png

The aircraft is desert pink overall, sort of.  Humbrol 250 doesn't cover at all well, there is stil grey showing through and I've run out: see my separate post asking for advice. 

It will not be 18 months to the next post....!!

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, 224 Peter said:

The aircraft is desert pink overall, sort of.  Humbrol 250 doesn't cover at all well, there is stil grey showing through and I've run out: see my separate post asking for advice.

Well, Op Granby Tomcat FGR.1's were rather weathered... ;)

I know what you mean about Humbrol. I plan on using Vallejo Air 71.400 UK Desert Pink.

Cheers,

Andre

1/72 scale uses less paint, too. I'm just about to open the 4th can of Humbrol 250 in order to finish off the undersurface! 

I'm building the weapons load, and have concluded that photo etch brass and resin are, together, the work of the Devil!! Never again! 

Here we have the 2 ALARM Missiles

spacer.png

And waiting in the wings are the 2 bombs...

140B7079-C6C2-4A52-8C87-A222EECEA7A8.jpg

2 sheets of PE per bomb!! 

I'm not enjoying this stage, but mounted on the F14 FGR 1 as I call it, they will look good. 

Edited by 224 Peter
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, mackem01 said:

This has the makings of a very unusual beast. I was wondering of your going to cobble some nose art together in keeping with her sister Tonkas??

Yes, she will be marked up as a Tonka, based on the idea that the Tonkas never happened, TSR2 was axed, so we went from Buccaneers and Phantoms to F14 FGRs... 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well....

As previously posted, in December 2019 I stopped modelling to take of my rather ill wife. 

A year on and all is back to normal and I'm making progress with the F14.

She is up on here wheels, I'm working on the jet exhausts and then it will be transfer time. 

Today's photo... 

spacer.png

With nose art and markings from a 1/32 Tonka sheet plus dusty weathering it will make a rather different "What If"

More as this evolves...

• Like 9

Very late to this one but it’s looking good.  I thought that there was talk of F-14s being offered to the RAF after the Falklands.  We settled on F-4Js from the Boneyard, but that would give an excuse for 74 Sqn jets, assuming that they would not have retired in 92 with the rest of the Phantom force.