1/72 Trumpeter, Ukrainian Su-24MR Fencer-E

20 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

(Too many etched and resin sets for these old memory banks to store and retrieve!)

6 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

My memory fails me...but I can always blame it on chemo brain!   :)

So maybe let us fifteeners and almost fifteeners start the albert alzheimer F-112A, or was it the F-114B? GB!

Boys, look at your projects: You are Best Agers at least!

May the Schwartz be with you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see. So let me get this straight; if I take the Streem kit (if I can find one), the Trumpeter kit, and perhaps the Zvezda kit, stick all the parts in a suitably strong plastic bag, say an incantation in Old Welsh (and it must be Old Welsh), and give it a good shaking, then a perfectly accurate Fencer will then emerge? Re the La-200B, old sausage, will that vision of beauty be gracing the electronic pages of this august site? I must see a proper WIP, so I'll know what to do when I finally get around to buying mine, other than looking at the thing in sheer amazement, if not actual consternation. I must heartily agree with your comments regarding the Soviet oddities coming out of the (mainly) Ukrainian manufacturers - they may be a bit of work, but they are worth it (I also want to see Mr. Blobby Fish/Basking Shark A/K/A the original Su-15 kitted).

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks chaps, always appreciated.

Thomas, that's very interesting.. I wasn't aware of the shape issue regarding the Tu-22's fuselage, something I'll have a good look at. Luckily the model's not painted yet and so I can modify as necessary. I agree about the Trumpy kit, hopefully it'll be like their Tu-22M2, M3 and Tu-160 and not one of their fantasy designs. (same goes for the Tu-128). Like you I'm not worried about getting the rasp file out!

So maybe let us fifteeners and almost fifteeners start the albert alzheimer F-112A, or was it the F-114B? GB!

Boys, look at your projects: You are Best Agers at least!

May the Schwartz be with you

Never a truer word was spoken....I think...can't really remember now...what were we talking about?

Mike,

If I get the Trumpeter Su-24M, as you mentioned, and steal the external tanks from my DML kit, and use the aftermarket bits I listed, will that get me pretty close?

Short answer...yes, the only problem you may have could be trying to squeeze the resin cockpit in as they all, (so far) are designed for the over-wide Dragon kit. I'm sure someone like NeOmega will release one at some point if they haven't already. I just opted to detail the kit parts with plastic rod, strip and fine wire and add the Eduard sets and True Detail seats and Armory HUD.

Bill, thanks for that, glad you like it. You're quite right the kit intake sides are vertical whereas they should be angled back slightly, (no idea to what degree). I used a flat file to angle them back until they matched walkaround images. It's only now reading back through my build notes that I remember doing these things...really ought to make a list if that would help.

My memory fails me...but I can always blame it on chemo brain!   :)

I have exactly the same problem only I can't blame any drugs...mine's just old age, pure and simple, (just like Lady M).

Hi Paul, same to you my friend...hopefully, we can catch up again at one or more of the shows this year....I have plenty to attend.

Marshall Shturmorak my old 'tater,

I see. So let me get this straight; if I take the Streem kit (if I can find one), the Trumpeter kit, and perhaps the Zvezda kit, stick all the parts in a suitably strong plastic bag, say an incantation in Old Welsh (and it must be Old Welsh), and give it a good shaking, then a perfectly accurate Fencer will then emerge? 

By George I think he's got it!...it's alchemy in it's highest form but don't forget to add the teeth of a Siberian Chipmunk, a copy of 'The State and Revolution', 50 1924 Kopeks and a leak before dropping the bag in Lake Baikal for a week, (if you forget the leak you may end up with an La-200B). Talking of which, yes it will appear here at a later date but only once it's been passed by the magazine's board of censors... 

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1

Following on from what James asked,

Do you have any 'in progress' shots of the corrections that you made?

Hopefully, these will help:

Regarding the cockpit, I used the kit 'tub' with extra detailing made from plastic rod and strip, lead wire and stretched sprue. For reference I used net images, (Airliners.net and ScaleModels.ru) and the excellent Aerofax book by Yefim Gordon. PE from Eduard and K-36DM seats by True Detail.

1-DSC_0553_zpseogo212b.jpg

Missing reconnaissance equipment borrowed from the Zvezda MR kit, the long centreline pylon needed to be scratch-built as did the two bulges ahead of the air-brake doors.

5-DSC_0169_zpsp2rmh79r.jpg

As Bill pointed out the intake sides should be angled back slightly, unfortunately, the kit ones are vertical. A subtle detail that makes a big difference to the look of the finished model, the modified one is to the right.

3-DSC_0587_zps1vqq6mhu.jpg

The main undercarriage legs were reset as the kit has them too vertical making the sit of the model unrealistic. The drag braces were cut off and reduced in length, then the main 'knuckle' joint was cut and reset at the correct angle using steel pins. The drag braces were then refitted at the correct length with CA. Also, the locating stubs at the top of each leg were cut back and angled to allow the legs to sit at the right angle in the bay.

1-DSC_0402_zpsyytwhjkj.jpg

Trumpeters large wing tanks were too skinny and lacked proper detail so the Zvezda ones were used. I don't have a comparison shot unfortunately but here are the two Zvwda tanks used, the top tank has the correct fin shape added while the lower one shows the original. The pylons are a mix of Trumpeter, (upper) and Zvezda (lower).

2-DSC_0538_zps4akzdiw1.jpg

Here the missing recon parts are fitted. The nose gear doors are scratch-built to incorporate the bulged fairing of the camera fairing. The long section between the fairing and the ELINT pod was made up from scrap resin as this was easy to sand to shape. It's surprising that such a lot of important stuff was missing from the kit, to put it mildly!

6-DSC_0048_zpsgbpgbgsh.jpg

The underside showing everything in place. The staining, soot and grime were applied using pastels, oil paint and washes and placing was taken from a photo of the actual aircraft.

1-flange-001_zpsvmnnmigs.jpg

Finally, just something that I wanted to add as I didn't particularly like the 'non-event' afterburner kit parts for those mighty L'yulka turbofans. These were anaemic so resin ones were used from the spares bin, (actually resin copies of the Modelsvit Tu-22 parts). I realise that not everyone will be interested in doing this but I wanted the model to look better from all angles. 

4-DSC_0180_zps7dfs3ejx.jpg

Cheers all

Komarade Melchie

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1

You have a penetrating eye for detail and structure as always mon general.

A most pertinacious and rambunctious report sah!

[Crack of saluting arm knocking Meissen teapot off the mantelpiece] 

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

Tony

You have a penetrating eye for detail and structure as always mon general.

A most pertinacious and rambunctious report sah!

That is uncanny!...that's exactly what the Memsahib screams at me every time I start talking to one of her more visually appealing cohorts!...soon brings me back into line...(well until she's out of hailing distance anyway). I'm not allowed anywhere near the Meissen or the Dresden...way too many flashbacks!

Cheers Igor...appreciated.

• Haha 1

Please, can you throw it through the translattor, i only understand dresdener porcelain, ve haff some monty serpents trannslattet to us too, and we like it! Please don't leave us alone!

• Like 1

Please, can you throw it through the translattor, i only understand dresdener porcelain, ve haff some monty serpents trannslattet to us too, and we like it! Please don't leave us alone!

Thomas...I don't think there's any translator out there that can handle it!....even the English one struggles.  Monty Serpents...love it!

Martin,

Fantastic realistic looking weathering with narrow panel lines, which is hard to achieve as these modern kits has panel lines too wide and too deep to my taste.

Thanks, I agree with you and never apply panel line washes as I really don't like the effect, rather I use colour modulation on selected panels applying lighter or darker base tones and use the variation to give the impression of panel lines especially in 1/72nd or less (in fact I do the same with 1/48th as well). Personally, I don't think you need to wash every line and rivet as you often end up with a patchwork quilt effect that reminds me of CGI and appears unrealistic to my eye. I feel the key to weathering is 1) study your subject and 2) notice that it's never uniform and 3) build it up gradually....oh and 4).....have fun! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

Thanks, I agree with you and never apply panel line washes as I really don't like the effect, rather I use colour modulation on selected panels applying lighter or darker base tones and use the variation to give the impression of panel lines especially in 1/72nd or less (in fact I do the same with 1/48th as well). Personally, I don't think you need to wash every line and rivet as you often end up with a patchwork quilt effect that reminds me of CGI and appears unrealistic to my eye. I feel the key to weathering is 1) study your subject and 2) notice that it's never uniform and 3) build it up gradually....oh and 4).....have fun! 

Bingo! Thank you for your non-endorsement of the Modelling Fad of the Month Club.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Bingo! Thank you for your non-endorsement of the Modelling Fad of the Month Club.    :)

Thanks Bill, there are a few other 'styles' I'm not keen on but accentuated panel washes has to be the worst. Grime and dirt around panels is one thing but solid black lines are another. Funnily enough, John Adams and I were talking about this at the RAF museum Cosford whilst looking around the exhibits trying to find panel lines wider than 2mm!.....but each to his/her own as they say.

• Like 2

Ah, ha, you made it then Rob, good news indeed ....no more wandering around no man's land wearing a luminous balaclava for you young fella. 

Now get back to the workbench and start bending some plastic...:whip:...your SIG needs you!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Ah, ha, you made it then Rob, good news indeed ....no more wandering around no man's land wearing a luminous balaclava for you young fella. 

Now get back to the workbench and start bending some plastic...:whip:...your SIG needs you!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

hahaha no problem General. I will resume the construction of bombers for you I already have a few on the go just delayed due to budget cuts etc but there will be more V bombers soon.

I dont intend to wander away again. No mans land aint no fun here however this is and I miss it all.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Egor, glad you like it.......

Glad to see you,Sir back in the case!

Some say I should never have got out of the case, but there you are.

Thanks my friend, I know what you mean....I've always been fettling away in the background, with the high volume of magazine articles to keep me off the streets I have little time for my own stuff, unfortunately, but such is life.

By the way, apologies for not commenting sooner on the JRB-4, truly excellent model.

• Like 1