Hurricane Mk IV

72modeler

Anybody got two million pounds burning a hole in their pocket? Talk about VAT! Sure is a beautifully done restoration of a very, very rare Hurri! The only other Mk IV I can think of is a static display aircraft in a Yugoslav museum; like this one, it is minus the armored blanket that surrounds the oil and coolant radiator housing, as well as the 40mm cannon. I guess the  owners feel it is a more attractive aircraft with the four 20mm Hispanos. I would have wished they had mocked up the 40mm cannon- they could have used the empty fairings for travel pods to store bits. Outstanding workmanship, though. I thought many of you would enjoy seeing her!

Mike

http://www.platinumfighters.com/hurricaneiv

http://aerodynamicmedia.com/hurricane-kz321-for-sale/

Edited by 72modeler
revused link
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Beard said:

I can't get the page to load but, never mind, I'll buy unseen. Perhaps @Troy Smith would be interested in going halves with me?

Maybe he and Graham could go halvsies! See if you can open either of the links I reposted....dunno why sometimes links open and then sometimes they don't- maybe Mike can explain it!

Mike

23 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Maybe he and Graham could go halvsies! See if you can open either of the links I reposted....dunno why sometimes links open and then sometimes they don't- maybe Mike can explain it!

Mike

I should have been clearer, the link opened but the page didn't load.

£1,695,000 is only £563,000 each, if three of us club together. 

• Like 1

I have dim memories of the reasoning for the IIC wings,  but what that basically makes it as a IIC.....  Or a  Mk.IV with IIC wings. 

On occasion the uninformed describe in in it's present  condition as a "tankbuster".....  :fraidnot:

The one in Birmingham is IMO  a disgrace, it was "restored" in about 1990  into a faux BoB scheme,  down to the Mk.I serial,  this was discussed before,  but as this one IIRC has some service history, and was until the repaint in a scheme fitting to a MkIV

You want a faux Mk.I,  get a fibreglass one,    especially when it's the only Mk.IV on display in the UK,   and has a real history,   you could  make a great display showing the vareity  of weapons that a Mk.IV could  carry.

There is another wreck awating restoration,  from the same Jaffa dump,  discussed Hurriane  questions thread,   the  Mk.IV in Belgrade, and KZ321.

I digress.....   Though given the Israeli's ressurected a couple of Spitfires from an RAF dump,   maybe a whif Israeli Mk.IV could be a good project...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I have dim memories of the reasoning for the IIC wings,  but what that basically makes it as a IIC.....  Or a  Mk.IV with IIC wings. 

On occasion the uninformed describe in in it's present  condition as a "tankbuster".....  :fraidnot:

The best-looking info I can find is that it is actually a IV with modified IID wings. The IV project had no wings at all when it was found as a scrapper in Israel and brought back for restoration in UK. The wing fitted is claimed by those who work on it in Canada to be a IID wing found in India some years later. (I haven't seen a pic of the upper panels sufficiently hi-res to take a view on this, but I have no reason to doubt the maintenance crew in Canada.) 

It has non-standard additional wing tankage, added during the 1995-2000 restoration at Hawker Restorations, and a set of IIC cannon stubs fitted with nothing significantly cannon-related behind them. The whole wing structure was rebuilt at this time with new spars and skinning. I don't know whether the external barrels are genuine 20mm Hispano or mock-ups,

As for the IIC stubs, best guess is that whoever was paying the bills at the time (possibly Stephen Grey at The Fighter Collection, I think it belonged to them at the time) asked for them for whatever personal reasons they may have had, it being probably just a matter of personal whim.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

modified IID wings. The IV project had no wings at all when it was found as a scrapper in Israel and brought back for restoration in UK. The wing fitted is claimed by those who work on it in Canada to be a IID wing found in India some years later. (I haven't seen a pic of the upper panels sufficiently hi-res to take a view on this, but I have no reason to doubt the maintenance crew in Canada.) 

oooh,  now that's interesting,  as AFAIK there was no IID,     and  the wings are the big difference.

On for futher research.

Cheers

T