1/350 British Nuclear submarines

Mike Esposito

Mike,

MM are amenable to suggestions for new models - the problem for them is getting hold of accurate drawings - particularly cross-sections.

I provided them with scale drawings of HMS Resolution - and they produced a kit of it.

British subs are badly served by kit manufacturers - probably due to the British obsession with secrecy - no plans, no kits.

Ken

PS RN nuclear subs are also pretty boring as displays - you can have black, black or black - at least US or Russians subs have a contrasting red bottom (oooerr!!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I`m looking for 1/350 HMS Conqueror and am I amazed to find there isn`t one. Is this correct?

I would have thought it`s Falklands/Cold War exploits would make it a popular subject, especially as those missions are still routinely revisited in tv history documentaries, books, etc.

Ian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shar2 said:

Sergey has told me he would gladly do British nuke subs, but there aren't any readily available plans, so he can't.

That`s a pity. 

However, this company makes large scale RC subs including a Valiant and Trafalgar in 72nd scale, and a Vanguard in 96th.

Maybe he has info on plans that could be helpful to Sergey. 

http://www.otwdesigns.com/products/british-nuclear-and-diesel-electric-subs/

HTH, Ian

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I want to step into this discussion: after close examination the MikroMir Resolution seems to be very accurate, and forms a good basis to be converted back into a credible Valiant/Churchill class boat in 1:350. 

My first step was to take out 122 mm of the hull, at its widest point. This coincides neatly with the location of the new conning tower or fin if you like. If you take an other location you will have trouble aligning the front and rear parts. But in my case this worked out very well.

Next will I be building up the narrower upper casing, as the wide version of the Resolution apparently was not required. A new fin will be build up from scratch, and so will the dive planes and rudders.

Photographic reference is abundantly available from the Courageous website. The only (small) problem I run into is the detail on the deck, having to rely on photos, there are not that many of these giving a good overview. For one reason or another 90% of the photos show the boat from the front!

I will approach the museum in Devonport if there is any graphic info available on the deck lay out, that would be very helpful. 

• Like 1

Great idea Maarten - something I have been thinking about for a while.

Do you have any photos of work-in-progress ??

I would be interested in exactly how you go about the conversion.

On 10/19/2020 at 12:58 PM, maarten.schonfeld said:

Next will I be building up the narrower upper casing, as the wide version of the Resolution apparently was not required.

I'm not sure I understand you on this - if you leave off the separate missile deck you get the circular hull shape - but you would still need to fix the raised section at the bows....

spacer.png

I'll be following with interest...

Ken

Hi Ken, 

You are hitting the nail on the head! The most difficult part of this conversion is the shape of the 'upper casing', which is much narrower than on the Resolution. An that is also in the part near the bow, where the bow diving planes are located. I'm working out the way how to do it, but first I need to establish a reasonably accurate draft about the cross sections.

I have been in contact with the people from the HMS Courageous Society yesterday, Chas already provided me with all the support he could give, but no plans unfortunately. But his indication where to look was quite essential: in the Devonport Docks. Google Earth provides an unobstructed view there, and from this I could already establish the width of the upper deck, being about 6.5 feet. I will take a calibrated view as well, giving me more clues about the exact position of the forward dive planes relative to the conning tower etcetera.

I will post some WIP pictures in the Modelwarships forum. I don't uses a picture hosting service, that's why I can't post any pictures here in Britmodeller, direct uploading seems to be impossible (on purpose I presume). However, as you seem to be the doyen on British submarines I gladly want to send you pictures of my progress via email. If you then want to post them on this forum that's ok with me too!

Kind regards,

Maarten

• Like 1