A400M R.A.F. colours

David Mooney

The Missus and I used the rather large wingspan of one to shelter under whilst it was peeing down at the RAF Northolt ‘Norfest’ open day last year.

sgVjsm3.jpg

BUGVp5N.jpg

If I recall, this particular airframe had quite literally just been delivered to the RAF. The finish was spotless and absolutely flawless (other than being a bit soggy:D).

MeLothF.jpg

Mart

• Like 3

There are times when I feel sorry for modellers of current RAF types.  Think how impressive that beast would look in the late 60's transport colours, like the early Hercules.  Surely one will appear in such a scheme at a model display near someone?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thomastmcc said:

so BS381C: 637 Medium Sea Grey overall ? 

Err, no, Jonathon (XV571) quotes Airbus documentation saying the basic colour on all A400Ms is FS 36173 grey whether it's the prototypes or the French, German, Turkish or British production aircraft.

1 hour ago, Selwyn said:

Most likely as the RAF do not normally paint their aircraft in FS colours.  

Selwyn

The RAF isn't painting them Selwyn, Airbus is; and it would appear Airbus is doing a Henry Ford on this one, any colour you want as long as it's FS 36173.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Err, no, Jonathon (XV571) quotes Airbus documentation saying the basic colour on all A400Ms is FS 36173 grey whether it's the prototypes or the French, German, Turkish or British production aircraft.

The RAF isn't painting them Selwyn, Airbus is; and it would appear Airbus is doing a Henry Ford on this one, any colour you want as long as it's FS 36173.

I think you find that the RAF specify what colour they want their aircraft painted before deivery !

Selwyn

• Like 1

The RAF may be free to insist on their aircraft being painted in a colour of their choice, but it'd cost them.  Having the entire fleet in a single colour is cheaper.  The key point is not what the RAF may or may not have desired, but what colour the aircraft ended up with.  If Airbus documentation shows that the aircraft were all painted in FS 36173, then they most probably are all in that colour.  As a modeller, I certainly don't think that the aircraft in the photographs look to be in Medium Sea Grey, nor as an enthusiast do I think that MSG was ever a standard for RAF transports, and as a taxpayer there doesn't seem to be enough difference in the colours to make insisting on a specific change worthwhile.

The C-17s are perhaps not a fair comparison, as they were only leased not bought, in a false economy measure.  Changing the colour probably wasn't an option.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Selwyn said:

I think you find that the RAF specify what colour they want their aircraft painted before deivery !

Selwyn

I'm sure they do, but that's just the start of the procurement process. Somewhere in the middle the manufacturer  states what they can provide and how much it will cost, and the end is beancounters in Whitehall telling the RAF what (if anything) they're going to get. I don't know why FS 36173 was chosen, but I would suspect, as Graham postulates above, that it was cost driven.

In the linked thread, thomastmcc thanks Jonathan (XV571) for providing the paint spec from Airbus documentation; it just seems a bit disingenuous to then provide unsubstantiated speculation about another colour, directly below a quote linking to that thread, in a thread originating in a request for the correct colour.

If you want to paint your model sky blue pink with yellow dots that's fine by me, but please don't muddy the waters were someone is seeking accurate information.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The RAF may be free to insist on their aircraft being painted in a colour of their choice, but it'd cost them.  Having the entire fleet in a single colour is cheaper.  The key point is not what the RAF may or may not have desired, but what colour the aircraft ended up with.  If Airbus documentation shows that the aircraft were all painted in FS 36173, then they most probably are all in that colour.  As a modeller, I certainly don't think that the aircraft in the photographs look to be in Medium Sea Grey, nor as an enthusiast do I think that MSG was ever a standard for RAF transports, and as a taxpayer there doesn't seem to be enough difference in the colours to make insisting on a specific change worthwhile.

The C-17s are perhaps not a fair comparison, as they were only leased not bought, in a false economy measure.  Changing the colour probably wasn't an option.

Graham

Leased initially but subsequently bought outright.

Mark

• Like 1

Well i am sure that someone from BZN will have the definative answer for us all soon.

I guess it depends whether the crabs(term of endearment :P) have a specific reason for using BS over FS and if there is anymoney in the pot to do so.

Id been interested to know the gen.

On a personal note halfords dk grey primer spray can is a good shade (hue?) Of RAF ish grey.B)

Where is Mr.Millman bet hes got the brief

...mean that in a nice way nick

The plans for A400M support are based around a lot of common support between the nations using the aircraft.  This is helped if there are common colours for external components.  One dark (sea) gray is very like another, and I understand that are no concerns over use of an FS versus BS number - the days of moving lots of common components between different types and common bay support different are long gone - not least due to much greater reliability.  So BZN ends up with 3 different shades of gray - so what?    

Regards

Tim