A Bit of WNW speculation

Chris Jephcott

2 hours ago, Viking said:

Sticking with my French theme (I love French aeroplanes & Colour schemes :)) I'll propose another - The Hanriot HD.1

Lovely looking aeroplane, could be done with French, Belgian, Italian (some real beauties there), & US markings, & also as a floatplane.

If it turns out to be a SPAD X.III or a Hanriot HD. I'll be very, very happy

Hi John,

Don't expect anything like that, as PJ's History books tells him that WW1 was fought exclusively by UK and Germany in some kind of no man's land that happened to lie in between.

2 minutes ago, Antoine said:

Hi John,

Don't expect anything like that, as PJ's History books tells him that WW1 was fought exclusively by UK and Germany in some kind of no man's land that happened to lie in between.

He hasn't see the reprint then, where the USA flew direct into combat with the Hun, thrashed him and was back in time for donuts and coffee.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Antoine said:

Hi John,

That's rather sarky and pretty puerile really. It's well known that Sir PJ's big loves are British and German aircraft from the war. WNW is his baby and in truth is a hobby for him rather than a cash cow - he'd make more from one movie than he probably ever will from WNW. It's hardly surprising then that he'd focus on the aircraft he likes most first of all, it's also the reason why the Vintage Aviator has concentrated on British and German replicas. Remember also that he's a Kiwi and NZers mostly (not exclusively but mostly) flew British aircraft against German aircraft hence another reason for his focus. You only have to look at his British kits where he usually endeavours to have an aircraft with a NZ connection or Kiwi pilot. Case in point the Dolphin which has just come out having Bannerman's mount as an option.

You can go all conspiracy theory, "Sir PJ doesn't like the French or thinks only the Brits and Jerries were in the war" but if we're honest that's all balls, the truth of the matter is that his first love are WWI British and German aircraft and so he has focused on those thus far with his two "hobby" companies.

Edited by Smithy
Spelling
  • Like 6

I think Smithy has hit the nail on the head. Sir PJ is servicing his personal requirements and the fact that Wingnut Wings are also available to the rest of us is almost a by product. 

From my point of view as a retailer of Wingnut Wings kits I hope (and believe) they will expand the range to cover more subjects from the other Combatants however I think it may take time. Once the British and German types are exhausted then he may well decide to expand (A Spad XIII will sell like hot cakes in my opinion) and I hope he will also consider aircraft from between the wars too, I'd love to see a Bristol Bulldog or Hawker Fury, Demon etc done to WnW standard (oups, there we go with the British aircraft again!).

Duncan B

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Smithy said:

That's rather sarky and pretty puerile really.

It is indeed.

:)

29 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Remember also that he's a Kiwi and NZers mostly (not exclusively but mostly) flew British aircraft against German aircraft hence another reason for his focus.

What I remember is that many RFC and RNAS aces flew French fighters, mainly Nieuport. Caldwell is one name that came to mind. But as Sir PJ is only interested in Brits and German aircraft...

40 minutes ago, Smithy said:

You can go all conspiracy theory, "Sir PJ doesn't like the French or thinks only the Brits and Jerries were in the war" but if we're honest that's all balls, the truth of the matter is that his first love are WWI British and German aircraft

That's not conspiracy, that's just what I believe, and my opinion is as valuable as yours.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Antoine said:

It is indeed.

:)

What I remember is that many RFC and RNAS aces flew French fighters, mainly Nieuport. Caldwell is one name that came to mind. But as Sir PJ is only interested in Brits and German aircraft...

That's not conspiracy, that's just what I believe, and my opinion is as valuable as yours.

For goodness sake lighten up. Yes NZers flew French aircraft but the vast majority flew British aircraft.

The fact of the matter is that Sir PJ's big interests are British and German aircraft not French aircraft (he's spoken in interviews about his interests regarding WWI aircraft before) so why wouldn't he concentrate on those subjects first rather than on other subjects that don't interest him as much? That's not a commentary on who he thought fought the war but on what interests him more. These companies (WNW and The Vintage Aviator) are merely hobbies for him, they're not his main bread winner, rather two vehicles to express one of his big passions - WWI aviation. Hardly surprising that he'd use them to reproduce aircraft that are his favourites and that have interested him.

You can choose to think that's a slight against France and that Sir PJ doesn't acknowledge France's huge contribution to WWI or you could perhaps be a little more pragmatic and look at WNW's choice of subjects for what they are, the owner's main interests.

Some interesting thoughts appearing here!

From my perspective I thought that Marty (Beardie) was agreeing that we need more French aircraft, his point being that they are less likely to be released at the moment. 

France produced a formidable air force with superb men and machines, and stands as an equal among the allied forces, in case anyone doubts it. I have been to the Armée de l'air museum at Le Bourget and highly recommend it as possibly the worlds premier air museum. Go if you ever get the chance. The Great war collection is unsurpassed anywhere.

Let's look at things from a manufacturer's point of view. If you are considering a new kit, first and foremost you want a unique subject, so that it will sell as the 'only game in town'. Roden, A Model, & Special Hobby do the Nieuports 11, 16, 24, 25, 27, 28, and SPAD V.II, and WnW the Salmson. So we are not likely to see any of those duplicated. That said, I (and most of you!) would love to see them done to WnW standard.

For aftermarket Pheon decals do a superb range of French alternatives. All in all the picture is not so empty as you might at first think.

It is an interesting discussion folks, and we are all Great War enthusiasts. Lets keep it as a healthy, polite thread  :).

Cheers

John

(And when the US Air Service joined the Great War, they equipped themselves mostly with French Nieuports, SPADS, and Salmsons! ;))

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

For goodness sake lighten up.

I'm quite relaxed, thank you, but are you kidding me? Do you really believe I'm the one to lighten up?

Of course PJ does what he wants with his own business, he's perfectly free to setup a range of models limited to Brits and German kite and to keep his close-minded attitude if he likes to... At least if its really what he wants, as I never saw this written down somewhere.

As well, I'm perfectely free to think, if its indeed his decision, that its utterly stupid. To say the least.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Viking said:

I have been to the Armée de l'air museum at Le Bourget and highly recommend it as possibly the worlds premier air museum. Go if you ever get the chance. The Great war collection is unsurpassed anywhere.

Hi John,

It's not in direct relation to the AdA, and the name is Musée de l'air et de l'espace. And I'm afraid, it isn't up to the standard of British museum that I've had the chance to visit, as clearly, we're lacking in the preservation of our aviation heritage over here.

10 hours ago, MikeC said:

Avro 504 in three boxings: a J/K, a post-war N and a fighter variant.  Ah well, one can dream ...

Let's not forget the early Zeppelin raid bomber version or the post war civil versions. One basic airframe kit could be boxed many times

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chris Jephcott said:

That comes as part of a special deal - buy one, get a divorce included. 

Is that like a BogOFF deal? I'm make a note not to sell you one when it comes out then Chris :think:

Duncan B

• Haha 1

Duncan,

The middle ground is if there was a safe way to get a box, the size of a 1/32 0/400 into the house without my wife finding out (or indeed financially!), then i’m all ears!!! :D

my budget has been cut substantially - in between the baby and losing my job (back working again now!), but I am still allowed WNW kits. Now to just scrape the money back together again... I did see some old Monarch pilot uniforms going for £500 on eBay. That would cover a 0/400 surely?? 😊

Chris

• Like 1

John (Viking) I do indeed believe there should be more French aircraft including a Breguet 14 and a Voisin III but at the same time I do concur that I think they just aren't on the Wingnuts hit list at the moment. I can't help but feel sorry for French modellers and understand why they are aggrieved both from a Historical and a National perspective. I doubt we would be very chuffed if a company had started up creating the best kits of WWI aircraft ever seen in plastic and didn't produce any representing British made aircraft. That is the problem with Wingnuts, it isn't market led but rather led by the desires of the company owner. Hopefully Sir Peter is a 'completist' and will turn his attention to French Aircraft (and those already covered by other manufacturers but to nowhere near the same standard) in time.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Chris Jephcott said:

Duncan,

The middle ground is if there was a safe way to get a box, the size of a 1/32 0/400 into the house without my wife finding out (or indeed financially!), then i’m all ears!!! :D

my budget has been cut substantially - in between the baby and losing my job (back working again now!), but I am still allowed WNW kits. Now to just scrape the money back together again... I did see some old Monarch pilot uniforms going for £500 on eBay. That would cover a 0/400 surely?? 😊

Chris

To get a kit that size in you'd need to take a window out i think.

I know what you mean about budget cuts, a School Janitor's wage doesn't come close to my previous Life's wage but at least it's a job. 

DB

Some interesting kits speculated here.  If it's an 0/400 at least storage can become less of an issue by folding the wings like the real thing.

I think it could be a BE.2C

My reason is that the Vintage Aviator have built one.

Look here for further candidates maybe. http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects/aircraft There are only three kits on the list that haven't been released as WNW kits yet and one is French!

My other theories are Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter. Continues the recent Sopwith themed releases.

Or something early war and British like a Vickers Gun Bus.

Regards,

Mark