It's been a while since I posted a new project due mainly to the fact that I've been working away from home during the week so not much opportunity for model building. I've been wanting to get my teeth into something challenging so decided to have a shot at the Wingnut Wings Ship's Camel. I've quite a few WNW kits in the stash at this stage but this will be my first attempt at building one.

38772014854_7c9e9aa35e_c.jpg
2018-01-03-21.37 by Martin Fay, on Flickr

My first task was to experiment with wood effect finishes.

I took some old, out of date business cards and gave them a blast of primer followed by a base colour.

I did one each of

Tamiya XF-55: Deck Tan

Tamiya XF-59: Desert Yellow

Mr Hobby H4: Yellow

Mr Hobby H37: Wood Brown

Mr Hobby H329: US Navy Yellow

I then applied Raw Umber, Raw Sienna and Burnt Sienna to each giving me 15 sample colour swatches to choose from for the desired wood effect.

27703434429_94c854d87a_c.jpg
2018-01-03-21.24 by Martin Fay, on Flickr

I know, I know; I'm worse than the missus choosing finishes for a new kitchen!

• Like 10

First up was (rather inevitably) the cockpit.

After a slew of 1/72 biplanes I have to say that the 1/32 WNW has been a revelation.

Large scale, modern moulds, high quality plastics - I haven't stopped smiling all day as I worked on it.

First off all the wooden parts were prepped, base coated and grained with Windsor and Newton oils.

The main sections were a mix of XF-55 with Burnt Sienna and XF-55 with Raw Sienna.

The Wicker is H4 with Raw Sienna.

Metallics are all Mr Metal Color.

Here's the state of play as it stands.

39450041432_b661a45217_c.jpg
2018-01-03-21.33 by Martin Fay, on Flickr

I'm not back to work until the 8th so hopefully there'll be more progress to report (and better pics) over the next few days.

• Like 14

There's a little progress to report today.

First up was the internal bracing which gave me an opportunity to try out one of the new goodies I picked up at this years IPMS show.

39500011821_40fcb6a978_n.jpg
2018-01-04-12.11 by Martin Fay, on Flickr

I found these to be very useful for dropping just a tiny drop of superglue where needed. They did eventually clog up but were easily cleaned using the flame from a lighter to burn off the hardened glue.

Internal bracing is EZ-Line. I expected this to be quite straight forward but somehow managed to make quite a drawn out meal of it. :giggle:

38791514774_346a938c2c_z.jpg
2018-01-04-14.46 by Martin Fay, on Flickr

• Like 10

Next for some attention was the instrument panel.
The decals were actually surprisingly thick and needed some help from Mr. Mark to settle down.

Despite this I still managed to damage one. :shrug:

38791514654_5121065968_z.jpg
2018-01-04-16.01 by Martin Fay, on Flickr

Then the wicker seat got the "Flory" treatment to tone down the rather bright finish taking us from this

39500011501_71f970f7ab_n.jpg
2018-01-04-14.47 by Martin Fay, on Flickr

to this

39500011181_4d979947e9_n.jpg
2018-01-04-16.31 by Martin Fay, on Flickr

Hmmm...

It's almost time to start bolting bits together. :analintruder:

• Like 15

Great stuff! I love these Wingnut kits but never worked one ( Had an early one cheap once but then succumbed to a great offer and gave it away), Smashing work so far and looking forward to seeing more on this.

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howlindawg said:

First up was the internal bracing which gave me an opportunity to try out one of the new goodies I picked up at this years IPMS show.

39500011821_40fcb6a978_n.jpg
2018-01-04-12.11 by Martin Fay, on Flickr

I found these to be very useful for dropping just a tiny drop of superglue where needed. They did eventually clog up but were easily cleaned using the flame from a lighter to burn off the hardened glue.

I use sewing needles- just snip off the top half of the 'eye' to create a little two-pronged fork. Stick the sharp end into a cork as a handle. They hold a small blob of superglue really well! These look a lot finer though- might give them a try. Thanks!

Will

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Calum said:

Nice work despite the mishap. How did you do that wicker seat?

The seat was painted with Mr Hobby H4: Yellow, the leather trim is Mr Hobby H47: Red Brown.

The wicker was then given a thin coat of 'Raw Sienna' oil paint.

Once it was thoroughly dry I gave a coat of Brown Flory wash.

Job Done. :)

Drag about the IP !

WTH were you using for gloss?

I had the same happen on my Gotha IP , if you look at the left tach it has transfigured as yours has, albeit only slightly.

I cant remember what I used , the rest of the gauges are in punched clear.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 03:52, krow113 said:

Drag about the IP !

WTH were you using for gloss?

I had the same happen on my Gotha IP , if you look at the left tach it has transfigured as yours has, albeit only slightly.

I cant remember what I used , the rest of the gauges are in punched clear.

I used a drop of CA for the main instruments.

I tried the technique before and didn't have this issue so not sure what was different this time around.

Different brand of SuperGlue? Reacted with the decals or oils? :shrug:

I used Micro CrystalClear for the small gauge top right and that worked out just fine.

I'll see about picking up a punch for future IPs.

• 6 months later...

only just found but followed immediately.   what are WNW kit like?  i find them quite expensive for me to go playing with on just yet.  maybe later when i have even more than my limited 7 year experience with brushes only (until last night got my first airbrush:yahoo:)

Edited by SA80A2AR
my spelling would make a illiterate look like a scholar in grammar

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 21:48, bigbadbadge said:

Looks great so far. Did you manage to get the IP sorted out? 

All the best 

Chris 

Hi Chris,

Yes, I did.

I had to carefully pear off the failed 'glass' effect with a scalpel, repaint the backing and replace the gauges with spare decals from this and another Camel from the stash. I made a bit more progress on the interior but have been working away from home this year which means no further progress. Hopefully not too much longer until I'm home based again.

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 20:50, SA80A2AR said:

only just found but followed immediately.   what are WNW kit like?  i find them quite expensive for me to go playing with on just yet.  maybe later when i have even more than my limited 7 year experience with brushes only (until last night got my first airbrush:yahoo:)

Quite simply they are stunning kits, everything just seems to fit perfectly.

I was wary of starting this one; wondering if my skills could justify a kit of this price and quality (this is only my 6th kit since getting back into plastic models) but the camel at least goes together beautifully. The complexity is self inflicted as a kit of this quality makes me want to do a better job.

Congrats on the Airbrush - you'll wonder how you ever managed without one. :)

• Like 3

Nice work so far, I have this kit waiting to be built after I finish a D.VII I have on the go.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:50 PM, SA80A2AR said:

Completely agree with Howlindawg, these are superb kits, from the boxing and instructions to the plastic and decals, you need NOTHING else.  I don't consider myself an 'expert' modeller and I'm far too impatient, which has consequences at the end of my builds sometimes! Check out my Camel Br.1 build on the RAF 100 year GB, even my 57 year old cack-handedness produced a canny result ( I think!).  They are very expensive and I have the advantage of being retired early and having a little more spare cash to spend on my hobby(s),  but give one a go, IMHO I don't think you'll regret the experience.

Davey.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Sea said:

Looks like you were paying attention in the wood work class. You have done a very nice job of the cockpit.

Thanks. Buttoning up the fuselage feels like a major milestone.

9 hours ago, Calum said:

Nice work so far

Cheers Calum. The interior of these kits is a real pleasure to work on.

Feels tricky to put together at first but once you figure it out it feels like it practically snaps together.