BR86 2-8-2t Tank Locomotive

Not a lot of progress as I've been delivering lorry loads of other peoples shopping around East Anglia. 

But, I've managed to attach the cab floor and front to the boiler, along with the firebox.

38899556225_68e53e1603_b.jpg

I've also moved two of the cab front holes which are too close together. And even more of those plastic bolt-heads from my punch set. 

• Like 1

Started on the cab fittings, and I'm using the LZ Models bits ti improve this area as Trumpeter provide very (basically nothing) little.

Added all the control rods and the corrected fittings for the two outer rods that go to the boiler feeds, this necessitated making new stand-off rods.

39166174624_b7fb9d83e7_b.jpg

Also fitted various controls (I have enough trouble knowing what bits are on English loco's so don't ask me what they all are on German ones!)

26003425418_22b010ab18_b.jpg

The big box is the oiler and sits on a small plate fitted into a slot I cut into the firebox.

• Like 3

Added the various gauges, including making 3 from brass tube. The main gauges were cut from the Trumpeter made-up-thing and glued to a home-made backing plate.

28111087179_6cb0f23767_b.jpg

Also added a slaking hose (under the oil-feed) for slaking the coal to keep the dust down.

Started on the sides. This is the drivers side and will have the brake valves added to it. The fixed window has been put in place and masked.

28111092099_305b63b500_b.jpg

The (rear) sliding window can be slid in before the side is fixed in place. 

• Like 2

What a beatutful piece of modeling. I love the old steam trains but lack any knowledge of them other than knowing things like 082 would mean no bogies on the front 8 driving wheels and 2 bogies on the rear but i do love them and the smell youre donig wonderful work and obviously know your stuff. I would lo e to do a steam train but dont know enough about them.

Now for my favourite Rolling Stones song - Paint It Black!

39216799544_6c6060d1d0_b.jpg

Well, only the can and firebox at the moment...

Picked out some handles in red, and painted the floor burnt-umber to represent the wood. Going to leave the floor as it would have been dirty, and I will matt varnish the firebox and do a bit of weathering around the firedoor to show the heat affected areas.

That's a lot of gauges - far more than any British loco....

• Like 3

A little light weathering it will be. As you've probably found in your Pullman build, they were meticulous with their cleaning in those days. It wasn't unknown for footplate crews to clean the cab several times during a shift (a quick wipe over and sweep up the coal dust/wash it away with the slaking hose) it needed. Although it was more normal to clean the cab at the end of shift/just before handing the loco over to another crew.

I'm assuming those oh-so-efficient German's were the same. 

Thanks. To me (who is used to UK locomotives) it al looks a bit strange.

In the UK all the valve wheels, valve bodies, gauges, and pipework would have been brass or copper - and therefore polished to within an inch of its life!

When loco's came back from major works attention it was usual for all that lovely metal to be painted black. The loco crews would then spend the next week or so "accidently" scraping the paint off to reveal the loveliness beneath.

I've started on the rear of the cab, which is mainly the coal bunker.

The basic structure has been glued together, and is nice and solid so let us begin by removing small bits of it! On the inside the "coal hole" has had its moulded shovelling plate removed, along with the window surrounds. The counterweight for the new coal doors has been added, as has a water gauge for the tanks. UK loco's didn't have such luxury, they either had to climb up and look into the tank/tender or the posh ones has a tube around a pipe which you rotated. When the holes in the pipe and tube lined up, water came out - the more holes water came out of, the more water you had. Highly technical.

28300883389_5f36af2957_b.jpg

The tool locker has been added, with its etched doors, and the joins filled. 

39182582085_41859a2787_b.jpg28300852339_2705e08e0e_b.jpg

The inside of the coal bunker isn't much to look at - but it will be filled with (real) coal at the end.

• Like 2

More etched stuff added to the cab rear and bunker area.

25261489557_b69cb5f563_b.jpg

You can see where I misaligned the right window frame, and had to do a bit of filling, and still needs a bit more.... The "glass" is actually sandwiched between the etch and the plastid, so need to be added at this stage and masked.

Oh look, I've lost a handle off one of the shutter doors.....

In case you're wondering, the bottom two doors hinge upwards from the top two doors, which can then open outwards if greater access is required "Helmut, ve are runnink out ov coal. I shall haf to open zer doors to reach ze back ov zer bunker".

25261504007_d1fdfa400a_b.jpg

Still more to add here, but I thought I'd show you the ladders. These are folded from one piece and you end up with the correct shape (triangular) rungs. Still got some rivets (oh joy. More rivets.) to add to the ladder attachment points.

Oh look (again). I've lost the coupling light from between the toolbox lockers. UK traincrew used to do the coupling in the dark (actually, they still do :tmi:).

• Like 2

All the bits have now been added (apart from the top lamp). I've left the plate from the rear step off as I'm trying to find if loco's of the period I'm doing had a metal grill or wooden planks. I had to reposition the ladders as I had them too close together and they wouldn't go over the buffer beam (always test-fit people!).

28371954089_448b301b38_b.jpg

And a little weathering for the cab interior.

26278923368_ac377d41a9_b.jpg

You can just see the coupling rods poking out. I've used them to position the wheels on the chassis so that they can be quartered properly.

I'll explain that one in the next post as I embark on all the lovely Walschaerts valve gear.

• Like 2