If you're one of the gradually reducing number of folks that aren't currently receiving notifications to topics you've subscribed to, or PMs you're receiving, first check you've got the correct address in your profile, then drop in and post your experience in this thread, remembering to tell us your email provider's details, which is the part after the @ in your email address.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Neil.C

Worst model quality?

1 hour ago, Neil.C said:

As I started this thread I thought I'd add another.

I've just started a old Novo Hawker tempest, talk about fits where it touches! :o

It will be a repop of the Frog kit from about 1967-68. A lot of the ex Frog moulds have suffered from abuse and neglect and done of the plastic used is of dubious quality. Back in the day it was not considered a bad kit. 

32 minutes ago, Martin T said:

Back in the day it was not considered a bad kit. 

That's something to consider.  We are all so spoiled these days with such amazing kits, some of which have 3D printed parts, so detailed, such smooth fit, photo etch,  etc...

I can be be quick to disregard the sows ear that I can tailor to be my own silk purse and in the process improve my own skill in doing so.

Was the 1/48 (Model Craft?) F-82 Twin Mustang mentioned in this thread? It surely warrants an honourable citation here. Better men than me built it and survived to publish photographs of it, I tried to build one about 15 years ago and eventually gave up, it ended up on the Shelf of Doom from where it eventually progressed to the trash can (perhaps it was a bad idea to want to do a NMF fighter-bomber version). That was after cannibalizing TWO Monogram P-51 kits for canopy & cockpit parts, undercarriage etc. I still have an all-black night fighter version kit somewhere in my stash, next time I see it I'll just have to go chuck it into the recycling before I get it into my head to make another attempt.

EDIT:

Dammit, I should never have reminded myself of this "baddie". Now I WANT an F-82 in 1/48 - and just checked, seems like it STILL  is the only Twin Mustang in that scale. Off to my stash I go - why oh why do we do this, I have a cr*pload of very good (unbuilt) kits but Oh No, the Ugly Duckling always wins...

(One day I'll publish a few pics of my 1/32 Ju87B-2 Stuka - 21st Century Toys fuselage and wings, Revell lower nose section including radiator bath, divebrakes, wheel spats, canopy etc. Was such a fun Hack Job but took 3 months out of my life)

Edited by jannie
Thought about it again :(

10 hours ago, jannie said:

Dammit, I should never have reminded myself of this "baddie". Now I WANT an F-82 in 1/48 - and just checked, seems like it STILL  is the only Twin Mustang in that scale. Off to my stash I go - why oh why do we do this, I have a cr*pload of very good (unbuilt) kits but Oh No, the Ugly Duckling always wins...

That's because these sorts of kits are often the only one available and they are aircraft that are interesting rather than simply variations of things that we already have or that are readily available anyway. A few years back I went through a phase building the SH 1/48 kits of aircraft such as the Anson, Oxford, Skua, Roc etc. Why? well I like a bit of a challenge and these actually were important aircraft in their day. Having done that I continued with my quest of kitbashing all the Spitfire and Seafire variants in 1/48 scale.  The degree of difficulty is what makes something interesting to me - not the ease. Although I'll not turn down an easy build of something in preference to a difficult one there are times when the only solution is a difficult one.