Worst model quality?

Neil.C

One I’m always willing to diss given any opportunity is the Airfix/Heller 1/72 Concorde. Fits where it feels like, bares only a passing resemblance to the real thing (I mean that nose, come on!) and frankly deserves to be burnt in the box without opening.

I know there have been some good builds on here, but I’ve been scarred fir life and life is really too short.

And that nose....

Graham

• Like 2

6 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Perhaps just as well I sold mine a few months ago in the pre-move stash reduction!

Immediately after my preceding post I recalled finding at the time that the Model News A-36 wings could be fitted to the then also new Italeri P-51A (which had incorrect D-type wings), and that I'd seen the Italeri box when organising the remaining (considerable) stash only a few weeks ago - just been and located it, only to discover all the box contains is their instruction sheets! Wonder where the plastic is? No great loss, if I can't find it, I suppose! :lol:

Hi ,are Valom kits bad ? I have got 2 or 3 in the stash ,they look ok to me.

7 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Had both. Scrapped the former, gifted the latter to Scratcher as spares for one he was fighting. Don't know what happened to it.

Yet people have the gall to slate the Airfix issues!

I fought the Contrail TSR 2 and it won!!. Very nasty kit!😬. I fought two Airfix TSR 2 kits (1/72) and they gave so much grief that only one got finished!! The other lingered unloved, unwanted and unfinished for 2 years before I finally binned the wretched thing! I sold my other 2 kits second hand. 

I swore I would never touch another 1/72 Airfix TSR 2 again. Certainly one if the worst models I ever attempted. By contrast, the 1/48 kit was a joy to build😁. 

Allan 

11 hours ago, Adam Maas said:

If you've not experienced Merlin Models, they have to be seen to be believed. Very early short-run models that don't fit even where they touch. Effectively you get a selection of vaguely airplane shaped lumps of plastic in a box with bad decals and some oddly nice white metal castings.

Yes...hands down the worst.  I mean, it might be easier to carve something out of stone.  Although Merlin was the only company to release a Thomas-Morse Scout S4-C in 1/72nd...I'll give them credit for that.

Then I would add most things from Roden although I cannot speak to their vehicles.  The kits always look great--fine moulding, excellent detail, interesting assortment of designs, nifty box art, etc...then suddenly something major (wings, fuselage, etc...) does not fit, and not just a little bit.  

The only two kits I have actually binned without completion are the Roden He-111C (which I can see the early 111s were well represented above) and the MPM Fairey Battle. Both had the same root cause - I was never ever to get the fuselage even close to the point of closing up without massive distortion. 

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I presume since you didn't mention the scale. You are talking about the 1/32nd mould ? I haven't built one yet probably wont. Its just to big for my storage/display space. But everything I’ve read about this kit is it is supposed to be very well engineered. Im thinking you either got one that slipped by quality control, or possibly one of the parts is misaligned. Not saying your at fault. I’ve built quite a few Revell kits, and the locating instruction’s can sometime’s be at best vague.

I can say that I hope it works out in the end.

Dennis

Cheers Dennis. Mine is the 1/72.

And to put the tin lid on it Dot got hold of it ,but I managed to rescue it.

I think she likes the smell of the glue!

Butter wouldn't melt...

2015_12_12_12_40_57_2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, stever219 said:

more flash than Gordon and entirely inappropriate........

Oiiiiiiii - I resemble that remark...... 🤪

Edited by GordonM
  • Haha 4

The Roden Heinkel 111B is infamous for being rubbish, you can't give them away at swap and sells. Merlin Models are also infamous, was given one of their Messerschmitt Bf 162's to build once, I found it easier to convert an Me 110 rather than build the Merlin kit. Revell's Mk 1 Spitfire in 1/72 was binned by me as it was junk and although it is rubbish as well, I did once finish the SMER 1/48 SM 79, but thankfully the Trumpeter kit has relegated this one to the bin. 

17 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Back in the day, I received a 1/72 Model News A-36 Apache to review, and being something of a Mustang aficionado, looked forward to building what was then the first kit of that variant....

....distinctly recall that the first stumbling block was one fuselage half being longer than the other, and it went downhill from there - I never did actually build it....

....seems I wasn't the only one to decry its quality - although this reviewer did finish his: http://www.internetmodeler.com/1999/december/aviation/36.htm

I have a P-51H from the same company and while at least the fuselage halves are of the same length, the kit sure is very, very rough.

18 hours ago, Charlie Hugo said:

You have not been around the block too long then. There are many clunkers over the years. Ones that still remain forever etched (and scarred) in my psyche are  Beechnut Models, Merlin Models (you needed to be a wizard to build one of these)

It was with a Merlin kit that I found one fuselage half longer than the other by some 5 mm when I attempted to build their FJ-4 Fury.

Merlin kits were very difficult builds but we should keep in mind that they were some of the very first pioneers in the short-run injection technology. I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy a Merlin kit today but we have to look at them for what they were in those years

• Like 1

Last kit I relegated to the bin was a Smer Fiat CR32 Chirri......It was actually a kit given by a friend, who wanted me to build it for him...After scratch building an entire cockpit interior, rescribing the whole airframe, and managing to build some interwing struts, something happened to my mind that I threw it against the wall. Just rescued the Contrail aerofoil struts, think the only valuable parts of the kit....

Today, I listen "Smer" and my hair stand on end......I just keep an Avro 504 in my stash, lovely plane with lots of work....and a Tiger Moth wich is slowly taking shape...

My problems were with Magna Models, mainly their Fairey Gannet AEW3 .........didnt like it, parts appeared bulky and just a breif outline of what supposidly was a Gannet...........sold it on Ebay sometime ago along with the Scimitar they made only to have the Gannet returned, buyer complained one side was bigger than the other and a mold imperfection.  They made some lovely rare subjects, but decided to steer clear of Magna after that

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rio said:

Built the x-3 lovely engine and no detail anywhere else. No bulkhead behind the pilot or instrument panel.

Steady on there, if you mention 'lovely' in relation to 'Lindberg', the plastic police will show up at your house and beat you around the head with end-opening boxes. I think the engine was just about 'acceptable', but it is almost all hidden when the fuselage is buttoned up. The cockpit was the biggest problem, as I have said elsewhere, it looks like the bailiffs have called and left only a shapeless mass sitting in an armchair. As you mentioned, the absence of a bulkhead between the cockpit' and the engines would have made it pretty draughty, so it' no wonder the pilot is more than a little squiffy around the edges.

This kit may have been just about reasonable quality for the 1950's when it was tooled, but to keep selling it 60 years later is bordering on criminal.

Not done one myself, but I have heard/read that Testors kits are a steaming pile of wombats do.

• Haha 5

The F.M. Hampden  1/48............................

Took me 2 years to build. It looked more p****d than me on New years eve. The glazing is vac formed. ......... with a Dyson I think. And as clear as the English Channel 50 feet down.

Michael Jackson wrote the music to the kit.................... Filler Live. 

Mind you when it was finished people did say they were impressed with my Hampden  :whistle:

Dick

• Haha 2

Roden early Heinkel 111 B, or C I do not remember. Definitely a case of designed by committee, one designed the internal bits and the second the airframe. As stated above, the interior was rather good, if not ahead of its time, but the main airframe... Nothing fitted as it should have and where it did looked just awful. Trying to fit the internal details was a utterly thankless task that ended up with 6 inch fatherless-child files being used before consignment to the local land fill. Also the decals were in keeping with the plastic - horrible. misaligned, smeared on one side and fragmented immediately on contact with water, even after copious slatherings of Future and Decalfix. (Attempted use on other models).

Blaming that as the model that kicked off my PTSD:hmmm:

Christian, exiled to africa with a stash devoid of certain products by Roden, Beechnut and Merlin, hence sane(ish) again;)

• Like 2

Worst kits is a very subjective topic. I would agree that Merlin kits were pretty awful and notwithstanding that they were amongst the first short run kits, their quality was abysmal and never improved. Given the choice between a Merlin kit and a Rareplanes vacform, I know what I would go for. I actually got a Merlin TSR2 together, but it was never finished due to damage in a house move, I built the Airfix kit about 6 years ago and managed it OK, as well as a couple of Valom kits. Magna kits tend to be crude, but I have quite liked the five or six I have finished, although the Marathon currently on the go is trying my patience a bit. 

I think my perception of a 'bad' kit is formed by the fact I have been building all sorts of 72nd kits for so long, I have a some experience and fairly low expectations of what is the box. 

• Like 1

Speaking of Lindberg. I palmed off a 1/48 scale SE5 at last years secret santa. The victim recipient took one look and thought  :poop:. However, it turned up at this years christmas bash, and he had done a brilliant job with it, and said it was a lovely kit, despite his misgivings.

• Like 1

I would say there are two kinds of truly bad modern tool kits. Firstly these are poorly molded ones as compared to peers. An examples is Mach 2. Second category are the kits with too many shape errors. An example is OV-10 from Academy I'm now trying to finalise. 

Maybe the third kind of a problem is ill fitting transparencies. But kits with bad transparencies are typically not that bad overall. 

The worst kit I have completed rather than binned was a PM Spitfire Mk.Vb. 

Possibly the designer used Commando Comics as plans. No wheel wells, clunky attachments and vaguely spitfire like in shape it went together well enough but the upper and lower wings did not match until sanded to misshapen vagueness. However the worst single piece of transparency encountered in my 61 years of building kits was the canopy of this kitset. Discoloured at 1-2mm thick with an ejector pin stalk dead centre on the inside. Inside the bubble sliding bit. Discoloured. Inside. 

Hilarious. 

G

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Aeronut said:

Someone needs to tell those Erks they are trying to load the Lifeboat the wrong way round. :wink:

Na, quiet day, not a lot of anything going on, SO, at somebodies suggestion.............:whistle: Well, it DID sound like a good idea...............at the time................:wicked:

I'm MORE worried when their loading munitions...........................:yikes: