Nimrod MR.1 XV242. 42 Sqn. 1/72 Airfix.

Hello, hello, hello again.

Here's my second and final catchup of 2017 builds, like I said in the previous thread I only built 4 all year.  Following on from the NINAK I wanted something simpler to be getting on with.....and seeing as just about anything in the stash would have qualified, I gave my wife the job of doing the stash-dash.  She came back with a box of stencils with a model included :lol:.

So back in 1982, a bunch of erks from 2167 (Tredegar) Sqn ATC bussed down to RAF St Mawgan for their (our) annual camp.  Fun times....shooting, Chipmunk flights, local visits (Helston Aeropark ?), transit accomodation, squeeky steel frame beds, fire extinguishers, invading the NAFFI and drinking Top Deck shandy, Da-da-da...........and a walkthrough a Nimrod........XV242. Subject aircraft sorted, and it tied in with some other of my requirements:

- I wanted an MR.1, sticky out bits are good but in this instance I wanted to show the clean lines of the aircraft as much as possible.  Bomb bay doors would be closed also.

- Hemp colours.  I'd have preferred grey/white but in the interest of variety in the display it had to be hemp.

Luckily there are photos of XV242 as a hemp painted MR.1.   Yay, right aircraft, right colours, right modification state, right timeframe.  Wins all round.

To the model itself; I wanted an OOB easyish build but I already had the MA sets for stencils and markings, and also the Alleycat windscreen replacement. The windscreen was a half-hearted purchase on my behalf but after seeing the massive difference between it and the Airfix offering I was glad I had.  Alleycat also supplied photoetch windscreen wipers which are lovely too.......highly recommended.

Decaling, days of it, and the instructions are a bit poor.

Right, enough waffle, to the pics.........comments good or bad welcome as always.  

20180102_231209

20180102_224456

20180102_224236

20180102_224156

I didn't go nuts on the weathering.  Streaks of oil aft of hinges and engines was about all I did.  Barley visible.

20180102_224123

The hemp colour was Aqueous Hobby Colour H336 I picked up from the local when they were getting rid of the range many years ago. 

My Iwata HP-TH makes painting painting big surfaces like this a breeze; there's a Youtube video by Paul Budzik on the subject somewhere (thanks Paul).

20180102_224100

20180102_224040

20180102_224018

20180102_223802

20180102_224738

Group photo.  Smile everyone. :)

20180103_000634

Now then, the keen eyed among you will have spotted a common phenomenon.  Something was niggling me.  As I was about to finish I realised that I'd forgotten to add the 42 to the nose of the aircraft.  I duly applied the decals and finished the shoot.  They'll get a coat of Kleer next time I fire up the gun.

Thanks for tuning in.

Cheers

Gaz

Afterthoughts

- I forgot to mention, I also moved the wing lights inboard closer to the engine nacelles, and moved the light on the nose down a little bit. And I drilled out the intake grill between the engine intakes to give the impression of depth, a new grill made from pieces of thin plasticard wedged in. It's all your guys faults ;)

- The Alleycat windscreen conversion also includes masks for ALL of the transparencies, and also the framing around the windscreen (It's there but I didn't build up enough paint layers to make it really stand out.

Edited by kiwitrogg
Afterthoughts
  • Like 59

10 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I like that. That's another thing I have on my shelf of doom. I think you just convinced me on the Alleycat windscreen too.

Hi Jamie, thanks. 

Where did your build stall ? The kit itself actually goes together ok I think (caveat, I wasn't too focussed on accuracy)........it's just the decals, soooo many of them.

About the windscreen, the line of the top of the windows is the big difference.  If you dig out the Airfix screen and compare it head-on with any photo of a Nimrod (or the second picture above) you'll see that Airfix haven't replicated the arched top line of the original. Alleycat's is so much better in every respect.

I'd like to do an AEW as well one day maybe.

Go for it !  :)

Cheers

Gaz

Hello Kiwi,

Great build of this magnificent aircraft. Thanks for the info regarding the Alley Cat windscreen.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

• Like 1

Looks great! Real clean build.

I have one stashed, so will make sure I go for the screen.

Love the group shot, some serious shelf space required! what kit is the VC10?

• Like 1

Nicely done Gaz,  :thumbsup:

I have one of these to do as an aircraft that visited our shores back in '88 for Fincastle and the Bicentennial airshow XV234 will be my choice. I might have to hunt down the windscreen, I have a lot of other aftermarket for mine.

Love the group shot as well. 

:cheers:

• Like 1

After the initial rush it seems that not many of these get built now, which is a shame as you have shown what a lovely model it can make.

Where on earth do you store all those huge models?

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 12:09 AM, bryanm said:

Very nice - the way you have blended the windscreen into the fuselage is superb!

Thanks bryanm, that process took a couple of days.  You have to widen the fuselage by inserting a spacer in the joint first because the windscreen is wider than the fuse.  Then a process of filling, priming, inspecting and trying to get a good smooth transition.  The filler goes aft about 30mm from the actual joint.

Cheers

Gaz

On 1/4/2018 at 2:03 AM, matt_w said:

Looks great! Real clean build.

I have one stashed, so will make sure I go for the screen.

Love the group shot, some serious shelf space required! what kit is the VC10?

The VC-10 is the old Magna kit.  It weighs more than the others put together.  It and the Belfast would probably weigh more than my whole stash !!!

As for shelf space........I've just run out. oops. Need another display cabinet.

Here's the RFI for the Ten if you're interested.

Cheers

Gaz

On 1/4/2018 at 8:55 AM, DAG058 said:

Nice one! What paint did you use? It's very nice finish.

You must have a small hanger to store that collection in!  

Hi DAG058, thanks

Primer was Tamiya Surface Primer from a rattle can, so much easier to use.

Hemp was H336 Aquaeous Hobby Color I picked up years ago out of a bargain bin.

LAG was a Tamiya acrylic mix (XF2:5, XF20:3 and XF55:1)

Top coat from my ever decreasing store of Kleer.

Cheers

Gaz

20 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Very nice. Top job.

A Nimrod drought for so long, then we get 2 in quick succession.

Thanks Phone Phixer

LOL, maybe I should have painted it red and put No.26 'out of service' on the front.

2 hours ago, Natter said:

After the initial rush it seems that not many of these get built now, which is a shame as you have shown what a lovely model it can make.

Where on earth do you store all those huge models?

Thanks Natter

With just me and the missus in the house storage isn't the problem, dust-free storage is though :S.  I'm working on it.

Cheers

Gaz

Thanks to everyone who took the time to look, like and comment. 

Cheers

Gaz

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 8:55 AM, Ratch said:

Very nice :goodjob:

How much weight did you put in the nose?

Hi Ratch

Airfix called for 20gms but I think I went closer to 30, just coz.  I dry assembled the major assemblies and put it on its wheels to test the balance before glueing the weight up front just to be sure.

Cheers

Gaz

19 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nicely done Gaz,  :thumbsup:

I have one of these to do as an aircraft that visited our shores back in '88 for Fincastle and the Bicentennial airshow XV234 will be my choice. I might have to hunt down the windscreen, I have a lot of other aftermarket for mine.

Love the group shot as well. 

:cheers:

Thanks Romeo Alpha Yankee, 

Sounds like you're building up for an epic project. Definitely go for the windscreen if nothing else though would be my recommendation. It's such a prominent feature of the whole look and the difference is something that can't be unseen......if you know what I mean. :) (Says he who claims not to be too fussy about accuracy :doh:)

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, kiwitrogg said:

Hi Ratch

Airfix called for 20gms but I think I went closer to 30, just coz.  I dry assembled the major assemblies and put it on its wheels to test the balance before glueing the weight up front just to be sure.

Cheers

Gaz

Cheers Gaz, I built one a long time ago and IIRC went with the recommended 20g. All was fine until I stuck the tail boom on :doh:

I have another to do, so I'll try 30g when I get around to it :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

Cheers Gaz, I built one a long time ago and IIRC went with the recommended 20g. All was fine until I stuck the tail boom on :doh:

I have another to do, so I'll try 30g when I get around to it :thumbsup:

There you go, the 51 Sqn option, no tailboom !  Sorted ?  ok maybe not :laugh: