Academy 1/48 F-86 Sabre bare metal finish

Hi all.

Recently I finished building an Academy 1/48 F-86 Sabre as it flew from Soesterberg Airbase in The Netherlands for a friend of mine.

The kit is quite nice but probably not as detailed as the Hasegawa offering. As with all USAF Sabres, this plane flew in natural metal finish.

The detailing in the cockpit is not bad but since a pilot would be placed on the seat, not much of the inside would be seen anyway.

The kit goes together without any major problems and only a little filler was needed in places.

The metal paints were airbrushed on a black primer, both from Alclad, finished off with a coat of Aquagloss from the same brand.

Decals are a mix of Dutch Decals and from the kit.

Thanks for watching.

MjL0sGr.jpg

N0jdWWr.jpg

aGxmwjm.jpg

JIMMRD8.jpg

• Like 72
  • Thanks 2

No THAT is nice, I really like it, both in build execution, paint finish and marking variant. I thought the Hasegawa and Academy were nearly identical, aren't they? I have both, but not yet built.

Tiny gripe (pet peeve) though is that the speed brakes actually deflect nearly 45° downwards, not as straight out as yours, but I see that on a LOT of Sabre models and I think no model manufacturer actually points this out accurately in the instructions.

Cheers

Jeffrey

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the nice ractions.

To answer the question how I achieved this result, I try to explain in short my method.

All products I used are from Alclad.

The primer is the black primer with microfiller that I buffed smooth after drying.

Base color is polished aluminium, folowed by a coat of Aquagloss.

Then I masked off all the panels I wanted another shade of aluminium. I used several colors according to photos of the real plane. For some I used Aluminium, Dur-aluminium or white aluminium. For others I mixed a few colors to get another or more subtle difference in color.

Next is another coat of Aquagloss folowed by painting any parts that need normal paints and decals. Again another coat of Aquaglos, followed by a wash all over the model. In this case I think I used Neutral Gray from AK Interactive.

After wiping off a final mist coat of Aquagloss finishes it all.

I hope this is clear enough.

René

Edited by HartDeco
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Rene,

I love your F-86 a lot, a real beauty!  I visited the Soesterberg airbase a few months ago and the F-86 on the landing strip inspired me to make the same Sabre... I love the plane and the colour pattern is completely different than the Korean ones so i immediately wanted to make one like that.  I was very happy to find your F-86 as reference but now i am a bit in a doubt.

I made some pictures and did some research and found out that the Soesterberg F-86 flew in a blue-grey pattern so i wanted to make one like that but now i see you made one with a bare metal finish...  Did they flew with the both colours or maybe in a different period?

Thanks!

( here you see one of the pictures i made during my visit )

dijbx91fmk.jpeg

• Like 1