1/72 Hawk ejector seat

cardiff guy

Hi All

I am making the  newest revell 1/72 hawk ( I know horid red plastic ) I decided as it had the short tail fillet I would make a camo 63 sqn kite from the early 80's.

Then it struck me that it has the wrong seats and i would need Martin Baker mk10's with the larger head box. A quick search shows only the later seats for the revell kit.

Can you help does anyone make the seats I need or does anyone have any sugestions where I could possibly take the head boxes off another seat to fit the revell seat?

Failing that does anyone have any good pictures so I may be able to alter the kit seats ? 

Thanks in advance Glenn.

3 hours ago, cardiff guy said:

Hi All

I am making the  newest revell 1/72 hawk ( I know horid red plastic ) I decided as it had the short tail fillet I would make a camo 63 sqn kite from the early 80's.

Then it struck me that it has the wrong seats and i would need Martin Baker mk10's with the larger head box. A quick search shows only the later seats for the revell kit.

Can you help does anyone make the seats I need or does anyone have any sugestions where I could possibly take the head boxes off another seat to fit the revell seat?

Failing that does anyone have any good pictures so I may be able to alter the kit seats ? 

Thanks in advance Glenn.

Hi Glenn,

Have a look here - pretty sure you will find one that is suitable

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&product_type_id=all_aircraft_accessories&code=&scale_id=956&keyword_search=martin+baker+mk+10&setPerPage=25&sort=0&search_direction=asc&restore_search=&save_search_active=yes&save_search_name=&save_search

Cheers,

Michael

• Thanks 1

I would be very interested in obtaining some of these seats but as said in the original post, there doesn’t seem to be any of the early seats anywhere.. I’ve tried building up the headrest with milliput but I can’t seem to get it right.

Edited by speedbird

It's an expensive option but the earlier headboxes are included in this set https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17955&cat=283&page=1

I have one and the headboxes are surplus but I can't lay hands on them until February which I guess is a bit late for you.

First of all let me say that I admire your choice of markings, IMHO early '80s TWU camouflaged Hawks look great !

If you can't find the Aeroclub seats (yes, EJ007 is the code for the original Hawk seats), an option is to chop the early headrest from an early Hawk kit... both Matchbox and the original Airfix had this style of headrest. Some surgery may result in the right type of seat.

Thinking about it, maybe I should do this myself and cast a few resin copies...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

First of all let me say that I admire your choice of markings, IMHO early '80s TWU camouflaged Hawks look great !

If you can't find the Aeroclub seats (yes, EJ007 is the code for the original Hawk seats), an option is to chop the early headrest from an early Hawk kit... both Matchbox and the original Airfix had this style of headrest. Some surgery may result in the right type of seat.

Yes, that was my thinking as well.  A bonus with the original Airfix Hawk is that it will also provide you with a gun pod, several SNEB pods and some nice 1000lb GP bombs. 

To answer the original question, long long ago a company called Chota Sahib made some rather good white metal early Hawk seats but I'd imagine they're like hen's teeth nowadays.

Googling I found that Sid Horton (who was Chota Sahib) passed away a number of years ago and that eventually his range ended up with Verlinden. Whether any of the range is now available though......

Trevor