Su-27 Flanker - FINALLY DONE!

On 14/02/2018 at 8:21 PM, Mark4700 said:

Fantastic work. I take it you had a break in this build and it wasn’t a continuous 5 year build. Superb :worthy:

Yes! I had a period of unemployment in late 2015 when I worked on it fairly intensively then, but since then just snatched bits of time here and there...time dropped off quite a bit when my son arrived last April but he goes to bed earlyish now (ands sleeps fairly well) so I do a bit more in the evenings.

On 15/02/2018 at 12:51 PM, Niknak said:

Excellent work, I really like the panel lines there are not  over done, what have you used for the trees?. 

Thanks! panel lines were done in pencil, all hand-scribed so i did not want to over-emphasise them...

The conifer trees are twig/wire armatures with paint wall filler as 'bark', and green-painted fake aquatic plant foliage. I believe that dried moss can also look quite effective. Birch trees are painted seafoam sprigs (my dad grew them for me, I do not have 'green fingers'!), coated with hairspray then rolled in a static grass/flock mix. Easy to do and look good. Here's a vid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr3ReciNITM).

11 hours ago, Les Moore said:

Outstanding....and Airfix you say???  I must find this kit.

Hi Les...if I was to start over I think I would use one the Trumpeter kits. The old Airfix kit (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRFIX-SUKHOI-SU27-FLANKER-B-MODEL-KIT-1-72-SCALE-/302600069002) has an accurate shape but poor details and bad fit...hence all the work to improve it.

Thanks everyone else for your interest and kind comments!

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2018 at 8:26 AM, invidia said:

wow, that was an airfix flanker!!!   fantastic job on it.  cannot wait to see the base finished.

Probably the most accurate in outline of the early 1/72 Flanker kits, though Ken Duffey ( @Flankerman ) will be your man on that.  I believe the Hasegawa's fuselage was too wide and the Italeri's nose was too big.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, here's the big reveal....hope you like the pics. It's actually been done for a couple of weeks but I've had a busy time with work and other things of late....

20180307_220237

20180307_220251

20180307_220304

20180307_220415

20180313_205214

20180313_205241

20180313_205303

20180313_205326

20180313_205400

20180313_205429

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

- Very good  job , the scene is realistic, I like it ....Had I been the duty officer of the day, the guy next to the Flanker should have been courted, he does not stand at the Colors........!

1 hour ago, IPMS19 said:

- Very good  job , the scene is realistic, I like it ....Had I been the duty officer of the day, the guy next to the Flanker should have been courted, he does not stand at the Colors........!

Thanks...yes he's pulling 'pilot privileges' on that one!

• 3 months later...

Thanks all, very kind. I'll bring it to the SMW comp in November and hopefully a couple of regional shows. Currently the model room is full of boxes after our move, but I aim to get building again soon (maybe when it is not so hot)!