1/32 Revell Tornado ECR to GR4 First WIP.......another Tonka build.

Hello all and welcome to the thread! My first WIP.

A bit of background information on myself, I have built about 2 dozen plastic model kits in my younger years completely OOB and I have only recently got back into the hobby with this being my first 'proper' build including Flightpath's amazing Conversion kit. Another point to note I have never made anything of this scale before it's usually only 1/72 I used to do. So this will be completely new to me including adding all the extra details.

Back to the kit I got the latest release Revell Tornado ECR 'Tigermeet' kit. After a bit of research and examining the kit it is as expected, a re-box of the Tornado GR1 from 1995 of course containing one or 2 extra sprues which make up the ECR Conversion. 

I also acquired the Flightpath Flaps/Slats but these seem a bit too much for me so they are going up in the for sale section shortly for a bargain price.

I was looking through the forum and the internet in general and came across Jim Saudi's build from back in 2012 here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234922372-132-rsaf-tornado-ids/ 

and I plan on doing a similar scenario of a GR4 on take off just after 'weight off' with a special tail scheme.

Now of course I need flaps and slats deployed for this amongst various other bits and pieces being modified. As I decided against using the Flightpath Flaps and Slats I thought I would have a go at scratchbuilding some after all, how hard can it be. Then I remembered I had the article from when a certain gentleman Trevor Snowdon Created his own flaps and slats for the Tornado.

So with guide in hand a sharp knife and my new kit I set to work and approx 2 weeks later (on and off in the evenings) I have got to the stage below, one wing complete (left) still requiring a few small details adding (screwjacks etc) and the other in progress nearly finished. Ok its not an exact replica but I am more than happy with them, I have gained more satisfaction building them myself than putting on a set of Paragon flaps and slats (only because i couldn't find any :lol:).

resized_d1c7bde5-2f3f-44d3-9a17-d014f551

Now there are a few more bits and pieces I am after mainly a IDS resin cockpit and some seated aircrew, but they can wait. 

I welcome comments and criticism so please let me know what everyone thinks and go easy on me B)

• Like 4

Good work to do them yourself! They look very convincing to me.

I've built two of these with Paragon flaps, and another more recently with Flightpath PE flaps. While it was tough going, the PE ones do look better.

I'm subscribing to your build - you look like you've got everything nailed down but if you run into any problems, do ask - I think I've made every conceivable mistake along the way, but I've managed to build some very nice GR4's from this kit/PE combo! I think both my detailed in-prog builds on the site lost their photos in the Great Photobucket Hostage Crisis but I've still got them all on my PC and can post at any point if required!

(Hang on...this one's survived!)

All the best,

Alan

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1

Looking good so far, I've got one in the stash with all the Flightpath bells n whistles so will be watching closely.

A wee suggestion for you, guitar strings cut to appropriate length make rather good flap and slat drive shafts and can be acquired in various thicknesses depending on the scale you're working on.

Eng

• Like 2

Ooohhh, good start so far!

I've got a 1:32 GR1 boxing waiting in the wings *pun, most definitely intended*, (possibly conversion to a GR4 or a Raspberry Ripple example with homemade decals) so I'll be watching this build closely :)

Best wishes,

Sam

3 minutes ago, ModellerUK said:

Thanks all, the only thing that really bugs me with the flaps is that I couldn’t get a gap between the flap and the Krueger flaps, 

Do you mean between the leading edge slat and the wing? 

The only way way you could do this, (Alan correct me if I'm wrong), would be to fully remove the slat section from the leading edge of the wing that you currently have "drooped" and keep this. You would then need to build a new fixed leading edge to the main part of the wing such of slightly smaller profile so that the slat you have removed and kept can then be re-attached after having had the aft edge thinned slightly. The slats could also be attached with guitar string sections for the drive shafts and strips of curved plasticard for the guide tracks.

If you Google "1/48 leading edge slats" you'll find plenty images and articles on modelling these either as part of a kit, or by scratch building.

Eng

• 1 month later...