Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG.1 in Stock at Hornby

VMA131Marine

Thanks chaps,

Lovely Peter R Foster photo of FGR.2 XV406 AV here

6583422625_d877e0e620_b.jpg

More of his excellent work here,

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=40263244%40N04&view_all=1&text=Phantom FG.1

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=40263244%40N04&view_all=1&text=Phantom FGR.2

XV470 movement card is interesting as there are photographs of it as CX with 228 markings in the period, certainly just either side of the August 1988 date, I guess a loan from the OCU again.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On the assumption that Dick Ward got it right The swirly one has "THE LAST FROM BIG C", the marking above the roundel is

CONINGSBY 1968

LEUCHARS 1987

And I can't make out the zap underneath the roundel

• Thanks 1

Ram Models has XV470 with the scroll markings as both CX  of 228 OCU and AW of 43 Sqn.

Dates I have are code CX in 02/87, to AW 07/88, then back to CX 01/89.

This weekend I will do some trawling and try to find any other FGR.2's that served with 43 and 111 towards the end.

• Like 2

No one noticed this missing glass inspection window on the rear starboard fuselage?  It is big enough to clearly see.

Between the leading point of the hor stab and the normal serial position, above and aft of the 'cans' ....

Pat Martin

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, eng said:

Just twigged today that there are no classic Airfix pilots in this kit! Have Airfix sacked these poor chaps?

Eng

That’s a good point especially since they provide parts to model this kit in catapult take-off mode. Now I never ever use pilots, however I did have thoughts about modelling this kit in this configuration only to find out there’s no smiling crew to use. No big issue, just a little surprising. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

I didn't!

3582160959_45e53b49e1_b.jpg

I would have been more than impressed with Airfix if they had noticed the window.  It appears to be on all versions going back to the F-4A.  Can not say I noticed it when writing books on the topic.  Just received my Airfix Phantom today.  Most impressed with my first fondling of the plastic - very nice.  I really like the idea of the forward transparency incorporating part of the fuselage - very well done.  Now how many 'cottage industry' mods and improvements are in the pipeline? 

Pat Martin

• Like 1

"And now for something totally different " ?

well maybe not totally, look at the wessex plane gaurd on the box front, would it be a HU.5 in 1974/75. Should it not be a HAS 1. 

if this is wrong it has totally put me off buying this kit.

only joking 

Glenn.

Edited by cardiff guy

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s a good point especially since they provide parts to model this kit in catapult take-off mode. Now I never ever use pilots, however I did have thoughts about modelling this kit in this configuration only to find out there’s no smiling crew to use. No big issue, just a little surprising. 

Cheers.. Dave 

That's what made me realise they weren't there, I was thinking over the options in the kit for future builds (already got this one in work!) and low and behold no-one holding onto their knees!

Eng

40 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

I never did get around to going into the Glasgow scrapyard where a lot of the Leuchars aircraft ended.  :weep: Would have been nice to get something as a souvenir. 

phantom-f-4k-fg1-scrap-leuchars-glasgow.

Now wouldn't that be a challenging subject for a diorama.... I can see the title: "Sic transit gloria mundi"....... :weep: What a sad sight!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

I never did get around to going into the Glasgow scrapyard where a lot of the Leuchars aircraft ended.  :weep: Would have been nice to get something as a souvenir. 

phantom-f-4k-fg1-scrap-leuchars-glasgow.

I remember hearing that was where they ended up, 10 mins from where we live, and like yourself wished I'd asked to go and see if I could have a souvenir 😢

Eng

• Like 1

@Patrick Martin

Penny drop moment time!! 

Just realised your the same Patrick Martin who penned the Double Ugly Phantom books. I’ve got the two Spey Phantom bibles in my private aero library and just want to say thanks for putting these excellent books together. I’m not quite sure if they are still readily available, however I would think that a re-print to coincide with this latest kit would be quite timely. 

For those out there who do not own this set, they are well worth having. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Its at times like this that i wish that my days spent on the fence at Leuchars were covered by more comprehensive jottings on what i was looking at. 

Regarding the 2 43 sqn FGR2s, i seem to remember XV470 as working out of 111 more often than not during my frequent visits. My recollection is that 111 had an FGR2 in 43 sqn marks for longer than is documented for XV470 so can anyone confirm how long XV406 was in 43 marks for.

Arabest,

Geoff.